Fox Sports and BTN dropped from DISH and SLING

gopher71runner

Reaction score
Fox Sports networks dropped from Dish Network, Sling Friday in new carriage dispute
Kelly Tyko, USA TODAYPublished 3:46 p.m. ET July 26, 2019 | Updated 4:04 p.m. ET July 26, 2019

Dish Network and Sling subscribers lost access to 21 regional Fox Sports regional networks Friday after the satellite and streaming service and television network failed to reach a new agreement.

The outage started at noon ET Friday and both sides say in competing statements that the other is to blame for the blackout.

Fox Sports said on its website that officials "offered to extend DISH and Sling under the current terms of our existing agreement, but DISH and Sling rejected our offer."

The outage currently affects MLB, NBA and NHL games on the regional networks.

"We know fans are looking forward to the broadcasts during the stretch run of baseball season, and we hope DISH and Sling act to return this programming to their customers," Fox Sports said on the website it is using to update viewers on the latest outage.

In an update to subscribers, Dish Network said the Walt Disney Company, which owns Fox Sports, "is making unreasonable demands for the continued carriage of their stations" and refused Dish's attempts to extend the contract.

"The fact is, only FOX Regional Sports Networks can choose to remove their content from DISH customers," Dish said on its website. “Sports are the most expensive programming out there, and players’ salaries have increased ... That money has to come from somewhere, making sports the most expensive part of customer’s bills.”

The latest outage comes less than a week after several CBS-owned stations were dropped early Saturday for DirecTV, U-verse and DirecTV NOW customers after CBS and AT&T didn't reach a new agreement.

STORY FROM U.S. CELLULAR
How to make the most of your mobile device at a crowded game or event
Story from U.S. Cellular

The ongoing outage between AT&T and Nexstar also continues. More than 120 Nexstar stations that include ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC network affiliates have been dark on DirecTV and U-verse since 11:59 p.m. local time July 3.

On Thursday, House Republican Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., and Rep. Anna G. Eshoo, D-Calif., introduced the Modern Television Act of 2019.

In a statement, they said the bill is to "repeal outdated regulations of the 1992 Cable Act, including retransmission consent and compulsory copyright license, to increase competition in the TV marketplace and to better address perennial broadcast TV blackouts."

Eshoo said in the statement that her constituents are currently facing major broadcast outages and that there have been over 200 blackouts this year, which is more than double the number from a few years ago.

"These outdated laws aren’t just bad for the market, they’re hurting consumers," Eshoo said. "When blackouts take place, consumers are held hostage during the disputes between the broadcasters and the cable company."

BY SUPPLYHOUSE.COM
Taco 571-2 3/4-inch 571 Sweat Zone Valve
See more →

Affected networks
Fox Sports Arizona
Fox Sports Carolinas
Fox Sports Detroit
Fox Sports Florida
Fox Sports Indiana
Fox Sports Kansas City
Fox Sports Midwest
Fox Sports New Orleans
Fox Sports North
Fox Sports Ohio
Fox Sports Oklahoma
Fox Sports Prime Ticket
Fox Sports San Diego
Fox Sports South
Fox Sports Southeast
Fox Sports Southwest
Fox Sports Sun
Fox Sports Tennessee
Fox Sports West
Fox Sports Wisconsin
SportsTime Ohio

Article doesn't mention BTN but in a chat with them just now, they confirmed that BTN is involved in Fox Sports negotiation

Yikes. Hope this doesn't happen to DirecTV. I am amazed at how these spats come up over and over again and each time the programmers and the carriers get in a war of words in hopes to generate more customer calls on their behalf.

As a customer, there are only a few channels I refuse to go without and this is getting into that territory.

It couldn't be possible for someone to ride harder for cord cutting (YouTubeTV in particular) than me. It's just such a better option in 2019.

It couldn't be possible for someone to ride harder for cord cutting (YouTubeTV in particular) than me. It's just such a better option in 2019.

And, much easier to switch providers should something like this happen.

Fox sports has been gone for a while...Article from July 26th. I've had BT as of last night. Hope that is not gone!!

Fox sports has been gone for a while...Article from July 26th. I've had BT as of last night. Hope that is not gone!!

At least this weekend the game is on espn2...

FSN has been gone from Dish for a long time, and it's not coming back. BTN is still there. Both Dish and Direct TV are collapsing fast.

You have to wonder when the bubble will burst for the streaming services. Deep-pocketed Google (YouTube's owner) may be able to outlast some of their competition.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I second this. I have YouTubeTV and I love it. I'd recommend it for BTN and FS North.

I second this. I have YouTubeTV and I love it. I'd recommend it for BTN and FS North.

I like that it's much easier to switch between games when watching than it is with a standard t.v. provider

Yep, BTN is gone now as well as all the Fox Sports channels. Okay, YouTubeTV time. Should I go with Roku or Apple TV or what?

I use a Roku so I suppose I'd go with one of those. They can be as low as $30 so you can get one for a fairly good price. Apple TV I know can be a bit more expensive, but my sister has one and it works well, too. Either one can get YouTubeTV. You can also get ESPN+ on there.

Playstation Vue has been a good option.
Been on it for a few years and they haven't jacked with my sports.
Even added Fox sports North plus so I get all the Loons games.

The streaming options won't go away for a while because many can start up their own streaming service rather quickly. Low barrier to entry.

The content creators are the ones who control that market.

I use a Roku so I suppose I'd go with one of those. They can be as low as $30 so you can get one for a fairly good price. Apple TV I know can be a bit more expensive, but my sister has one and it works well, too. Either one can get YouTubeTV. You can also get ESPN+ on there.

Looks like the new Roku Ultra isn't shipping until Oct 13th. https://www.roku.com/products/players

Amazon firesticks (new version) are a good choice as well for a streaming device.

How much do you all pay for your internet? Speed?

I highly recommend YouTubeTV. Always been great for us.

How much do you all pay for your internet? Speed?

$60 for Gigabit. But that's closer to the cities.

I pay $90 for comcast internet.

120 Mbps download
About 5-6 Mbps upload.
I don't upload too much.

I pay $80 a month for mediacom. For how much it is out, doesn’t really matter what speeds.

I also have Dish - so, been missing the Twins and now B1G. I’ve asked to get out of my contract twice already. Guess I’ll try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pay $80 a month for mediacom. For how much it is out, doesn’t really matter what speeds.

I also have Dish - so, been missing the Twins and now B1G. I’ve asked to get out of my contract twice already. Guess I’ll try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would. Your agreement was with Fox Sports and the B1G. They aren't providing, so I would think you have a little ammunition. However, what does all the fine print say?

After a lot of research I went with YouTube TV and Apple TV (Roku Ultra was runner up). For sports, you’ll want the fastest unit, which rules out everything else, except maybe the Playstation, which I didn’t test. Sports look best at 60 frames per second (fps) and not all streaming services do this. Also both Apple TV and Roku Ultra can handle the high frame rate at 4K definition. Since I have an iPhone, selecting Apple over Roku was an easy decision.

We now have 3 Apple TVs (family room, kitchen and master bedroom). One is using ethernet and two Wi-Fi. We often use all three at the same time without any noticeable performance degradation. We are fortunate to have fiber optic cables internet with 150 mbps up and down for only $50 month (Frontier).

That's the best part with the streaming services. No contract. Cancel whenever you want.

Drop DISH if you have it. It's been rated the worst company in America to work for several different years in the past decade. They fired a quadriplegic dude for smoking weed legally in Colorado. Their UI is horrendous. I once was offered a job with the company and their offer was less than 1/2 what other companies were willing to offer me. You get what they are willing to pay for. Anything but DISH.

...and this will cycle through all the providers year after year and eventually it will hit you. This isn't a Dish thing or a Sling thing. It is this year.

...and this will cycle through all the providers year after year and eventually it will hit you. This isn't a Dish thing or a Sling thing. It is this year.

You're right. The battle for money between networks and distributors is getting more and more contentious. Networks make these deals to pay huge dollars to NFL, B1G, Big Bang Theory, etc, and then demand $$$ from the distributors, who are starting to balk and not pay. Networks threaten to withhold their big sporting events as leverage (try to black out NBC during the Olympics, or ABC on New Years Day for example). Carriage agreements come up for renewal about every 3-5 years and the negotiations are getting worse, leading to more black outs. DBS is going to be gone in the not too distant future and programming is going to be via OTT. We switched to Hulu a year or so ago and have been happy with it.

You're right. The battle for money between networks and distributors is getting more and more contentious. Networks make these deals to pay huge dollars to NFL, B1G, Big Bang Theory, etc, and then demand $$$ from the distributors, who are starting to balk and not pay. Networks threaten to withhold their big sporting events as leverage (try to black out NBC during the Olympics, or ABC on New Years Day for example). Carriage agreements come up for renewal about every 3-5 years and the negotiations are getting worse, leading to more black outs. DBS is going to be gone in the not too distant future and programming is going to be via OTT. We switched to Hulu a year or so ago and have been happy with it.

What's DBS and OTT?

Top Bottom