All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

Unless we're getting a transfer, I'd rather Pitino save the scholarships for next year. Recruiting this last in the game gets you players like Mav, Oto, and the SG who transferred last year (I cannot remember his name). It takes time to build relationships with players. Anyone we get in the spring who hasn't committed by now is either completely out of our reach, or is a warm body. We need players, not bodies.

scher215 @collegebbnews: Marquette freshman forward Jamal Ferguson will transfer. The Norfolk native averaged 1.1 points and 0.6 rebounds in 4.6 minutes per game.[/QUOTE said:
Next Mbakwe?

Jamal may wind up closer to home. Really great kid and I think he can do very well in college. Super long wing, played AAU for Boo Williams. Only about 6'4", but loooooong.. tough defender, slasher. With Lockett joining the program he was down the line on the bench, but really a strong player and great kid.

It is an interesting recruiting situation the Gophers would be in- talking to a 3* recruit who could help them- while recruiting the #1 PG in the nation (however remote the chances are) for the very next year.

Jamal may wind up closer to home. Really great kid and I think he can do very well in college. Super long wing, played AAU for Boo Williams. Only about 6'4", but loooooong.. tough defender, slasher. With Lockett joining the program he was down the line on the bench, but really a strong player and great kid.

Exactly! His stats are extremely deceiving, he will be good wherever he goes!

Rector looks like he'd be a solid get. The biggest areas of need are at the point and power forward. He looks like he could step in and provide minutes immediately, which might be a good selling point.

It is an interesting recruiting situation the Gophers would be in- talking to a 3* recruit who could help them- while recruiting the #1 PG in the nation (however remote the chances are) for the very next year.

Yep, it's a bit of a different situation this year.

Rector makes sense, we need another PG on our roster. I think we'd all like to see more of Dre at the 2 and Mav looks really uncomfortable playing the point too much. Rector looks like he'd be a fit, he's more of a true PG (it seems), he is a decent recruit (seems to be on the level of an Ellis in terms of recruiting rankings), and he plays a position of absolute need.

It would be good insurance for the likely scenario of Jones going elsewhere and he'd likely be needed even with Jones.

Cameron Forte
gp pts/g fg % 3pt % ft % reb/g a/g
31 22.5 63.0 25.0 66.3 7.5 2.6
http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2012-13/div1/players/cameronfortep38j
Ex-Texas Tech player Cameron Forte signs with Northern Arizona
Published Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 2:16 pm EDT

Former Texas Tech small forward Cameron Forte, one of several players to leave the Red Raiders after an 8-23 season, will transfer to Northern Arizona, according to Scout.com's Josh Gershon.

It's one of the first pickups for new Lumberbacks coach Jack Murphy, who is taking over a team that finished 5-24 and 1-15 in the Big Sky Conference, ending the season on a school-record 16-game losing streak.

Forte, a native of Tempe, Ariz. committed to Texas Tech in July 2011 with a reputation as one of the top prep scorers in Arizona history. As a senior, he averaged 36.2 points and 12.7 rebounds and set the state Class 4A single-game scoring record with 60 points in a game.

But he never saw the court for the Red Raiders and decided to transfer in December.

Hawaii was among the other schools Forte considered.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...-29/cameron-forte-northern-arizona-texas-tech
Cameron Forte Joins Red Raider Basketball
July 30, 2011

LUBBOCK, Texas - Cameron Forte, a two-time Arizona first team all-state selection, has signed a scholarship to play basketball with Texas Tech University, announced Red Raider head coach Billy Gillispie.

"We are extremely excited to have Cameron be a part of our group," said Gillispie "He has a unique and special set of abilities for scoring the basketball for a player his size. Cameron is also one of the most versatile prospects I have seen. He can play a lot of positions. He plays the game with great emotion. I feel he will be able to fit in well with the other players we have returning and make an immediate impact on our team.

Forte, a 6-6 swingman, led Tempe (Ariz.) McClintock High School to the Arizona Class 4A state title in 2010 and a second place finish in the 4A Desert Sky Region in 2011. As a senior, he averaged a state-best 36.2 points and 12.7 rebounds. Forte also led the nation in scoring for several weeks this year before finishing sixth nationally. He averaged 21.9 points and 7.7 rebounds as a junior.

"Coach Gillispie was straight forward and very honest with me," said Forte. "I never felt he was sugarcoating anything. He made it very obvious that he wanted me to go to Texas Tech. I liked that he was honest. I never thought I would play in the Big 12. It is a phenomenal conference. I look forward to the challenge.

"I look forward to the opportunity. As a player, I try to make everyone around me better. I want to elevate their game. I can player several positions. I have had this ability to adjust to the defense around me. I am a phenomenal scorer."

Forte set the Arizona Class 4A single-game scoring record, when he scored 60 points in a single game on 26 of 36 shooting from the field and five of 10 from the line. The previous mark was 58 set in 2003. He also set the single-season mark with 1,051 points for the season.

"Cameron is probably one of the best scorers this state has ever seen," said Jase Coburn, head coach at Tempe McClintock High School. "He set the state record for most points scored in a game and in a season. He has the ability to score, but he also has the ability to elevate his game. He can pass well and rebound well. Cameron can play all sorts of different positions. He has a lot of potential. His game has a lot of growth left in it. Beyond that he is a good kid off the floor. He made his teammates better."

He has also proven his worth on the AAU circuit, where he plays for Arizona Magic Pump N' Run. Forte had led his club program to an impressive 29-straight victories this club season, before a loss in last week's Adidas Super 64 tournament in Las Vegas.

Forte had been receiving strong interest from such schools as Washington, Texas, Colorado, Saint Mary's, Fresno State, Seton Hall, UTEP, Northern Colorado and UC-Riverside. Both of Forte's parents played basketball collegiately - his father Larry, New Mexico, and his mother Libby, Arizona State.

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/073011aac.html

Shane Rector
Shane Rector, Chris Griffin decommit from Rutgers, Jerome Seagears could consider staying
April 9th, 2013 7:10 pm
By Matt Sugam and Adam Zagoria

Rutgers has lost two commits a week after the Mike Rice fallout began.

South Kent point guard Shane Rector and junior college wing Chris Griffin have both reopened their recruitments SNY.tv has learned.

“Shane is officially re-opening his recruitment,” Rector’s dad Deshon told SNY.tv. “He will keep Rutgers on his list.”

While Rector is still open to going to Rutgers, Griffin’s AAU coach Chris Ayers simply texted SNY.tv “decommited.” It does not appear likely Griffin is going stick to with Rutgers.

Griffin Griffin is ranked No. 14 overall nationally in the junior college ranks by jucorecruiting.com and has two years of eligibility left.

Griffin also held offers from Auburn, Miami, Florida Gulf Coast, San Francisco and St. Bonaventure.

Rector was also considering Providence, Xavier and Arizona State when he committed to Rutgers.

http://snyrutgers.com/basketball/sh...om-rutgers-jerome-seagears-considers-staying/

Rutgers lands Bronx point guard Rector
By ZACH BRAZILLER
Posted: 11:57 AM, January 24, 2013

Shane Rector was looking to play on college basketball’s biggest stage and Rutgers was in search of a playmaking guard to supplement its current sophomore core.

The two were a natural fit -- the Bronx point guard out of prep powerhouse South Kent (Conn.) and the soon-to-be Big 10 program.

“I thought about it for a couple of weeks and I just decided that’s what I wanted. It was the best place for me,” said the 6-foot-1 Rector, who verbally committed to head coach Mike Rice’s program yesterday. “My goal was to play at the highest level and right now the Big 10 is arguably the best conference in basketball.”

Rector, who left local Bronx Catholic league dynamo St. Raymond in the fall for South Kent to improve his college options, recently visited Rutgers. He took in the Scarlet Knights’ upset of then nationally ranked Pittsburgh, a victory that opened his eyes, not only for what the program is capable of becoming, but where he fit.

“After seeing the game, I saw for myself how I could contribute,” said Rector, a gifted athlete and pure scorer who is averaging 15 points and six assists per game for South Kent this winter. “I liked the whole package that they have to offer. They’re going to the Big 10, it’s close to home -- that was a plus -- and [I like] what coach [Mike] Rice is trying to do there.”

Providence, Xavier, Texas, Arkansas and Arizona State were all involved, but Rector didn’t need to see any of those schools to know where he belonged. Rutgers was aggressive and Rice was active in Rector’s recruitment, South Kent coach Kelvin Jefferson said.

Though Rutgers has three sophomore guards -- Myles Mack, Eli Carter and Jerome Seagears -- who share the bulk of the minutes, Rice was adamant his program needed someone like Rector, according to Jefferson.

“They see him differently than the guards they currently have,” Jefferson said. “Those guards are very talented, but they see he brings a little different dimension with his ability to break down players and get in the lane, create offense and get his shot off. He brings something they’re missing right now.”

Rector’s decision to leave St. Raymond, another top city player bolting the area, raised eyebrows. He was coming off a city title and was considered by many to be the top senior in the five boroughs.

The move, however, paid off. He has access to a gym 24 hours a day, a trainer who has helped him gain needed muscle and a handful of Division I-caliber teammates to test him daily.

“South Kent helped me get better,” he said. “I can be more of a point guard here, they have other weapons to score. South Kent has helped me get more ready for the college level.”

[email protected]

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/rutgers_lands_bronx_point_guard_0BfFEV04tcXH5qD3cSUfjO
Shane says Sayonara: Rector leaves St. Ray's for South Kent
By ZACH BRAZILLER
Last Updated: 3:24 AM, August 24, 2012
Posted: 12:11 AM, August 24, 2012
Add Shane Rector to the ever-growing list of top city boys basketball players to bolt the five boroughs.

The 6-foot-1 point guard, considered one of the top rising seniors in New York City, has opted to transfer from defending CHSAA Class AA city champion St. Raymond to prep powerhouse South Kent (Conn.), his new coach Kelvin Jefferson told The Post.

“A lot of it has to do with changes that happened at St. Ray’s,” Jefferson said, referring to former head coach Oliver Antigua taking a job as an assistant at Manhattan College. “This just happened in the last few days. He made a decision to come and I’m excited about him.”

Denis GostevShane Rector has transferred from St. Raymond to South Kent. Rector didn’t return messages seeking comment.

Rector, a gifted 6-foot-1 floor general known for his crazy leaping ability, had a big summer playing with the New Jersey Playaz Club on the AAU circuit and holds offers from Providence, Hofstra, UMass and Dayton, among others. He attended the press conference for new coach Jorge Lopez at St. Ray’s, his freshman coach three years ago, endorsed the hire and even attended the school’s basketball camp for kids this week, Lopez said, but opted for South Kent.

Jefferson said Rector was admitted into the school on Thursday, joining recent St. Ray's stars like Omari Lawrence and Kevin Parrom who went from The Bronx to Connecticut prior to their senior year.

“Obviously he’s a good player, I’m excited about getting him,” Jefferson said. “He’s a point guard that can play at a high level and he can help make us better. He’s coming here to start.”

Lopez said he spoke with Rector and his father on Thursday, and was given the news. It caught him off guard as Rector, an All-City honorable mention selection by The Post, was set to be the face of the program for the next year, a player many consider one of the best in the city, and he was doing fine academically.

“I was definitely surprised by it,” Lopez said. “I’m taking that he’s looking for different conferences [for college]. … Maybe by leaving it will improve his recruiting, that’s the only thing I can take out of this.”

He isn’t the only player to leave St. Ray’s; rising junior Kahari Beaufort is gone, too, headed to Genesis Academy (Va.). Beaufort, a talented 6-foot-4 guard, never played for the Ravens as he transferred in at the middle of the year.

Lopez remains confident with the present and future at St. Raymond with sophomores such as point guard Jaquan McKennon and 6-foot-8 forward Luis Santos to juniors Kayvon Williams and Shawn Jones in the fold.

“I’m disappointed, but I’m not frustrated,” Lopez said. “I like the state of the program. We have good, young talented players in the program. The program’s going to continue to grow. I feel very good about the direction its heading it and I feel very positive what we’ll be able to accomplish while I’m here.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high...shane_rector_leaves_st_ixPjvUjNnOXg8BXl3C4j5L

Why are we putting these on the gopher web site?? i dont care if they decommited

Why are we putting these on the gopher web site?? i dont care if they decommited

Try reading a little. We are rumored to be interested in these guys, hence the reason information about them is posted in the SPRING RECRUITING thread.

Bio
A 6-8 sophomore forward from Ridgeway High School in Memphis, Tennessee. Started at center for the Memphis Magic Elite AAU team — Chris Crawford, Joe Jackson and Adonis Thomas were also on the team — that won the national championship at the Adidas Super 64 Tournament in Las Vegas. Black was selected to the 2011 C-USA All-Freshman Team. Named to the 2012 All-C-USA second team and C-USA All-Defensive team.

Strengths
Strong, athletic forward with an impressive wingspan. Lacks much in the way of skills on offense but is willing to bang inside and his wingspan allows him play bigger than his height. Enforcer in the paint on defense.

Weaknesses
Black must learn to limit his fouls and work on his face up skills to take the next step.

http://memphisroar.com/basketball/player-profile/tarik-black

......Frustrated Tarik Black back with Memphis after one-game absence, talk with coach
By Graham Watson | The Dagger – Fri, Nov 30, 2012 10:47 PM EST
....Email 0Recommend0Tweet5.....
(US Presswire)
Losing forward Tarik Black would have been a big blow to Memphis' hopes of earning coach Josh Pastner his first NCAA Tournament win, but it doesn't appear that will happen.

Black missed Thursday's win over UT-Martin because he was frustrated with the game and the team's performance so far this season. The Tigers were 3-2 before beating UT-Martin.

But after taking a night off to get his mind right Thursday against UT-Martin, he was back with the team Friday following a morning meeting with coach Josh Pastner, who was happy to have his co-captain as well as second leading scorer and rebounder back.
Pastner said indicated there will be some punishment for Black missing the game, but it will be handled internally. The preseason All-Conference USA first-team selection said he just reached a point where he needed to step away for a night.

"It was a buildup of things, just being honest. I'm not one for really complaining or stressing my issues and things that are on my mind," Black told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "That can be a blessing, because that's a leadership quality. You have to endure things, keep pushing, keep moving and keep motivating.

"But at the same time, it can also be a burden because you go home everyday and you're the one that's dealing with something and nobody else knows. ... At some point, I'm only human, so it's going to come out. It just so happened that after this three-year period it came out."

Memphis is 4-2 after beating UT-Martin without Black. The Tigers don't play against until hosting undefeated Ohio on Wednesday.

Kyle Ringo covers Colorado and the Pac-12 for the Daily Camera in Boulder. Follow Kyle on Twitter @KyleRingo

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...emphis-one-game-absence-034723911--ncaab.html

Unless we're getting a transfer, I'd rather Pitino save the scholarships for next year. Recruiting this last in the game gets you players like Mav, Oto, and the SG who transferred last year (I cannot remember his name). It takes time to build relationships with players. Anyone we get in the spring who hasn't committed by now is either completely out of our reach, or is a warm body. We need players, not bodies.

It doesn't if you have a coach who knows what he is doing and has an eye for players who work in his system

It doesn't if you have a coach who knows what he is doing and has an eye for players who work in his system

Just a little key for success. But does a coach who knows what he is doing know more than gopherholers?

Just a little key for success. But does a coach who knows what he is doing know more than gopherholers?

Without a doubt! People are too accustomed to mediocrity, Dr. Don.

I dont see anywhere on those things that minnesota is after these kids??

by Alex Kline
Minnesota has reached out to Rector
On the same day Alex Foster was released from his scholarship, point guard Shane Rector was as well. Minnesota has shown interest in Rector.
On front page of Minnesota Rivals right now
http://minnesota.rivals.com/

Nobody knows that much;)

Johnnyboy (aka "Joe SMH RPI scheduling guy") needs to move on with his life. How long before he makes an offensive "wop" reference towards people of Italian heritage given his "Mafia" reference. People aren't making fat jokes at your expense, Johnnyboy "ahem" Joe E!!!!

I dont see anywhere on those things that minnesota is after these kids??

Howard College forward Cameron Forte posted Monday on his Twitter account (@Smoothiewhatup): "Oh ya and Coach Pitino and his staff got the Job at Minnesota from FIU and carried my offer over!"

The 6-6 Forte, who transferred from Texas Tech, averaged 23 points and eight rebounds in junior college this season. He also previously tweeted that his top choices are Georgia, Long Beach, Colorado State, Pittsburgh and Ole Miss.

pp(foster-heading-elsewhere)
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...ding-elsewhere

Just to recap potential Spring Recruiting for the 2013-2014 season - subject to change as I think things may happen quickly with new Richard in charge.

4 Scholarships available for 2013-2014 - If they use them - Richard says they would have to be the right fit.

Some possible suspects from the Gopher Hole:

Rakeem Buckles

Highly rated out of HS in 2009. 3 Injury filled years at Louisville. Transferred to FIU for the 2012-2013 season and sat out for transfer year and injury rehab. According to GI Buckles plans to transfer from FIU to Minnesota. Speculation centers around eligibility. If he graduates in Spring some think NCAA will allow him to transfer and play right away - (See Travis Busch to CSU). Also, FIU appears to be headed toward APR penalties (from Isaiah Thomas era) banning them from post season play. NCAA might allow a transfer to play right away at a new school if a School gets that penalty. Buckles would be one and done at Minnesota if he plays in 2013-14. If he has to sit 2013-14 the NCAA possibilities are just too immense to imagine.

Shane Rector

Point guard High School senior 2013 - signed LOI with Rutgers but recently released from LOI. Ryan James says we are interested. Other schools are interested - including Rutgers.

Cameron Forte

Junior College - Small Forward whose stock has been rising lately was being recruited to FIU by Richard Pitino. Forte has tweeted that Pitino has carried over that offer to Minnesota. He has several other high profile schools interested.

Malik Smith

FIU Shooting Guard with some PG skills will ask for and presumably get his release from FIU this week. He has sung the praises of Richard Pitino for teaching him about BB and work ethic. I have seen no direct mention of Minnesota as his destination but he evidently would be eligible right away for his final year of eligibility. Another attractive one and done possibility in terms of scholarships.

Tarik Black

Memphis College Graduate - eligible to transfer and play right away as another one and done. I have seen no direct mention or connection to Minnesota other than he is from Memphis and so are Austin and Andre Hollins. Not sure there is any interest in either direction.

Josh Davis

Power Forward Tulane Graduate - 17ppg and 11rpg - eligible to play right away as another one and done. No mention of any interest either way with Minnesota that I have seen. Both Illinois and Iowa State I believe are in the picture.

Just to recap potential Spring Recruiting for the 2013-2014 season - subject to change as I think things may happen quickly with new Richard in charge.

4 Scholarships available for 2013-2014 - If they use them - Richard says they would have to be the right fit.

Some possible suspects from the Gopher Hole:

Rakeem Buckles

Highly rated out of HS in 2009. 3 Injury filled years at Louisville. Transferred to FIU for the 2012-2013 season and sat out for transfer year and injury rehab. According to GI Buckles plans to transfer from FIU to Minnesota. Speculation centers around eligibility. If he graduates in Spring some think NCAA will allow him to transfer and play right away - (See Travis Busch to CSU). Also, FIU appears to be headed toward APR penalties (from Isaiah Thomas era) banning them from post season play. NCAA might allow a transfer to play right away at a new school if a School gets that penalty. Buckles would be one and done at Minnesota if he plays in 2013-14. If he has to sit 2013-14 the NCAA possibilities are just too immense to imagine.

Shane Rector

Point guard High School senior 2013 - signed LOI with Rutgers but recently released from LOI. Ryan James says we are interested. Other schools are interested - including Rutgers.

Cameron Forte

Junior College - Small Forward whose stock has been rising lately was being recruited to FIU by Richard Pitino. Forte has tweeted that Pitino has carried over that offer to Minnesota. He has several other high profile schools interested.

Malik Smith

FIU Shooting Guard with some PG skills will ask for and presumably get his release from FIU this week. He has sung the praises of Richard Pitino for teaching him about BB and work ethic. I have seen no direct mention of Minnesota as his destination but he evidently would be eligible right away for his final year of eligibility. Another attractive one and done possibility in terms of scholarships.

Tarik Black

Memphis College Graduate - eligible to transfer and play right away as another one and done. I have seen no direct mention or connection to Minnesota other than he is from Memphis and so are Austin and Andre Hollins. Not sure there is any interest in either direction.

Josh Davis

Power Forward Tulane Graduate - 17ppg and 11rpg - eligible to play right away as another one and done. No mention of any interest either way with Minnesota that I have seen. Both Illinois and Iowa State I believe are in the picture.

Good summary; thanks!

Ray Taylor is already at FIU and sat out the 2012-2013 season as a transfer from FAU. I haven't seen any indication that he is thinking about transferring from FIU --- yet.

Top Bottom