What is your level of confidence for the Purdue game?

I think we are pretty much stuck with Illinois in an 8-9 game. If we somehow win both games this week I think we can pass OSU...but that's not happening.

Agree that's not happening. Rutgers has a fair chance to be our first game opponent. Both Rutgers and Illinois have the same conference record. Oddly enough, Rutgers and Illinois each play the same opponents in their last two games (Indiana and PSU) with only the location of the game changed for each opponent. Illinois did beat Rutgers in their one meeting so they will own the tie.

We've pooped away enough winnable games that we've left ourselves with a very steep road. I haven't looked at the permutations, but even if we go 1-1 in these last two games (where we'll be underdogs in both), can we even get out of the 8-9 matchup against Illinois... played in the state of Illinois? Yikes. Let's put it this way: from this point forward, if they do win enough of their remaining games to get into the Tourney, they will have earned the bid.

The 8-9 game is played at 11:30 AM/Thursday in the cavernous United Center provides very little advantage for Illinois IMO, it that was the match-up. There will be more empty seats than Orange Crush from past experience.

i think we win, murphy has a monster game.

I think we win. Two keys to the game:
-- How well Gabe plays on defense.
-- How well Oturu plays on offense.

Line is MN +5

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Who knows which team comes out to play. It's hard to have confidence with an enigma, but I have hope that we get the team that smoked Indiana.

Who knows which team comes out to play. It's hard to have confidence with an enigma, but I have hope that we get the team that smoked Indiana.
Agreed.. or Rutgers in the first game

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Coffey scores 22, Murphy is a beast and continues his dominance. Gabe drains 4....3’s....

Gophers win!

Gophers have a couple days more rest, at home, senior night, win could really solidify tournament chances, and while Purdue is a great team like most teams they aren't quite as good on the road. Going back to the end of January their last 4 road games have been a 99-90 OT win over Penn State, 70-56 loss to Maryland, 48-46 win over Indiana, and 75-72 win over Nebraska. This is the opportunity this team wants and need and I feel strongly the Gophers will take advantage of it.

Gophers have no answer for Haarms. That will be the difference. I'm not sure why he doesn't start and play almost every minute for them.

Gonna have to rain threes to have a shot.

I'm more confident than normal because the Gophers have so much to play for. Senior night, avoiding letting Purdue clinch the conference on our court, Murph and Dupree's last home game, a huge increase in our chances of making the tournament, and possibly Pitino's job. The last big emotional home game was Nebraska so I'm thinking there will be a repeat of that.

If we wear Gold and the refs give us a fair shake, we win by 11.

True. Due to their inconsistency, this team doesn't engender a whole lot of confidence from one game to the next. They are just stunningly inconsistent in even the most rudimentary of basketball skills, like shooting free throws. One game, they might (and did) come out and sink 15-19 shots from the charity stripe, while another game, they might (and did) brick up 10-20 free throw chances. You literally NEVER know what you're going to get from this bunch, beyond Murphy busting his bollocks out there, that is. That's a given every single game.

Given eveything that's at stake in this game, I guess I feel somewhat 'cautiously optimistic' that the Gophers are gonna get out there and take care of business on Senior Night, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they came out and lost against another very high quality opponent at Williams Arena. The three best teams we've played there (Maryland, Michigan, Wisconsin) we've lost to, and Purdue is right up there at that level. I'm taking nothing for granted and just hoping for the best. Nothing else any one of us can do.

Throw the white uniforms in the river under the Washington St. Bridge and hope for the best! If I were a homeless person down there I would burn a white uniform for heat before I'd wear one.

Gophers have a couple days more rest, at home, senior night, win could really solidify tournament chances, and while Purdue is a great team like most teams they aren't quite as good on the road. Going back to the end of January their last 4 road games have been a 99-90 OT win over Penn State, 70-56 loss to Maryland, 48-46 win over Indiana, and 75-72 win over Nebraska. This is the opportunity this team wants and need and I feel strongly the Gophers will take advantage of it.

THIS!!

If this game were in January, I would consider a gopher win close to a lock. I would consider almost any home game close to a lock, with the exception of the very best opponents (like a Michigan State at full strength). Purdue is not one of them -- they are a good but not great team, don't care what their present "ranking" says.

Problem is I think the Gopher players and coaches are both feeling the pressure as the season comes to a close. We had big opportunities at home vs Michigan and Wisconsin, and did not play well in either one. So instead of fully expecting a win tonight, I think it's about 50/50.

It comes down to our shooting. In the Wisconsin game, I disagree that we didn’t play well. We defended great, but we couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn with our shooting and couldn’t make a free throw. Save one guy ( Gabe), we are a poor-shooting bunch. That allows teams to pack it in tight and double Murphy and Oturu, who give us our best chance to score. Thus, we generally only win when we can make some outside shots at a decent clip. Doing so early (making shots) also boosts the confidence of guys like Coffey and McBrayer and they play so much better as a result. That will be the determining factor tonight. The odds are not in our favor for that to happen, but isn’t it our turn to have some good fortune? Here’s hoping to a magical night in the barn-especially for our seniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% after listening to Murphy and Dupree!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My confidence level is Gophers 77, Boilermakers 73.

Keys to the game:

1 Get off to a good start. DO NOT deflate Williams Arena before the first TV timeout even arrives.

2 Gophers need to make 10 or more threes.

3 Coffey & Murphy BOTH must bring their high-motor games.

4 Edwards will get his, but make him do it taking a lot of forced shots, which he's prone to do to the detriment of his team. DO NOT let Cline get comfortable. If Cline is making shots, it's lights out for the Gophers.

Last edited:

5. We need some long-overdue home cooking by those creepy B1G refs. That is to say, “don’t flag Murph with a bunch of ticky-tack fouls...you m*****f***ing cheaters!”

Top Bottom