Ciarrocca a candidate for the West Virginia Offensive Coordinator job?

Is this a done deal? That's a big chunk of offensive know how going out the door. What's the deal? More money? Closer to home and family? Tired of PJ's gimmicks?

Can't stand the beaver tail on the helmets.

Is this a done deal? That's a big chunk of offensive know how going out the door. What's the deal? More money? Closer to home and family? Tired of PJ's gimmicks?

Is it just me or did I hear KC humming this?

"And I can't fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started fighting for
It's time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars, forever"

Hopefully it's just for more money, but who knows.
If WVU is able to outspend us on coordinators, we have an issue.

Other alternatives.

1. PJ has someone he wants to promote badly / or hire and gave Kirk a hint to look.
2. Kirk can't stand rowing the boat any longer. Sick of PJ. Will gladly take a paycut to get away from PJ.

One thing that Kill did for his coaches was secure them more money. Maybe PJ should do the same thing and forego some of his pay raises and have the athletic department increase the salary of the assistant coaches enough so that they stay here longer.

Do coaches have old fashion loyalty anymore?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

One thing that Kill did for his coaches was secure them more money. Maybe PJ should do the same thing and forego some of his pay raises and have the athletic department increase the salary of the assistant coaches enough so that they stay here longer.

Do coaches have old fashion loyalty anymore?
Somehow Kill held on to Limegrover all those years...

Me too. If it’s a money thing, would love to see if that issue could be solved with a bump here.

My HR experience tells me that if they already have an offer, countering is maybe a 50/50 proposition...and usually a short term fix if they do take your counter offer.

Things don't have to make sense in the MN sports world.

Things don't have to make sense in the MN sports world.

This is true.

All I know is that this is going to kill any momentum we have. I don't logically think it will, but that's how it works being a MN sports fan.

He and Fleck are close friends and have had a long relationship together. Ciarrocca isn't going anywhere unless its a head coaching job. Or work for Saban of course.

I don’t think there is any way this goes official before tomorrow.
Being under contract. I would think we would give ourselves a chance to counter before releasing him.

PPress tweets out a story he is leaving followed by correcting it saying he is being courted.

His sources probably are reading Ryan Burns’ twitter account.

Someone needs to teach journalism to the journalists.
Shocked it isn’t the Strib this time.

F**k this. Time to open the wallet and keep a successful coach. We need continuity and culture. Time to row the boat all the way to the bank.

F**k this. Time to open the wallet and keep a successful coach. We need continuity and culture. Time to row the boat all the way to the bank.

Agree. I know some people didn’t like him in his first year, but I think he was pretty good.

If I could only protect one assistant coach from leaving, that coach would be Ciarrocca. I was really impressed with what he did in year two (also impressed with what Callahan did with the Oline) and the fact that he's also the QB coach leaves us in a really, really tough spot if he ends up leaving. Hopefully this is just leverage for a pay raise. If not, I think we need to look outside the current staff for a OC/QB coach with some experience...hopefully someone who has ran a similar style offense with success.

Call me crazy, but I think keeping Callahan is more important than keeping Ciarrocca. The offense got better because the OL started to dominate, not because of the playcalling.

He and Fleck are close friends and have had a long relationship together. Ciarrocca isn't going anywhere unless its a head coaching job. Or work for Saban of course.

Robb Smith was PJs best friend.

Call me crazy, but I think keeping Callahan is more important than keeping Ciarrocca. The offense got better because the OL started to dominate, not because of the playcalling.

Call me crazy, but I think O line was going to play better this year regardless of o line coach.

This might have been in the works since last year. I thought the Clay Patterson hire seemed a little strange at the time. A head coach (albeit juco) who was renowned for his offenses taking a position coach job seemed weird. You’d think he would have had his pick of G5 or FCS o coordinator jobs.

Maybe Kirk told PJ he’d give him one more year and then start looking around, get more exposure, more varied experience that could help him keep moving up the ladder.

So PJ went after Patterson with a promise of a likely promotion in a year

I hope KC stays. The move to WVU makes no sense. If he goes there is something behind the scenes. More likely PJ wanted him out or KC wanted out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might have been in the works since last year. I thought the Clay Patterson hire seemed a little strange at the time. A head coach (albeit juco) who was renowned for his offenses taking a position coach job seemed weird. You’d think he would have had his pick of G5 or FCS o coordinator jobs.

Maybe Kirk told PJ he’d give him one more year and then start looking around, get more exposure, more varied experience that could help him keep moving up the ladder.

So PJ went after Patterson with a promise of a likely promotion in a year

Fleck I’m sure knows the dream jobs or goals of each of his coaches. Working with a familiar face, four hours from home, at a P5 school is likely something Kirk is interested in. Fleck seems to do a fine job of having backup plans.

One tweet linking to a message board qualifies as buzz?

This is a fan forum, I’m not writing for the Washington Post. Next time i’ll be sure to find multiple sources before starting a thread though.

Ciarrocca grew up in PA, went to Temple, coached most of his life out east, wife coached lacrosse at Delaware, his kid is a senior at wayzata heading to Monmouth in jersey to play lacrosse...his daughter was a star soccer player at Rutgers...maybe wife and he want to be closer to family and friends

Did anybody remember the GH thread where PJ Fleck was telegraphing early in the season about coaches leaving for other bigger jobs in coaching. Didn't he say he even welcome and encourages it. For coaches to pursue their own dreams or something like that.

Maybe there was some discussion between him and Kirk Ciarrocca.

Ciarrocca grew up in PA, went to Temple, coached most of his life out east, wife coached lacrosse at Delaware, his kid is a senior at wayzata heading to Monmouth in jersey to play lacrosse...his daughter was a star soccer player at Rutgers...maybe wife and he want to be closer to family and friends

Thank you for this instead of all the BS that it has to be about PJ and KC tired of the gimmicks, etc. along with the other stupid speculation.

Top Bottom