Specifically, what is your minimum threshold to call 2017 season a success?

GopherBulldog

Reaction score
There have been threads predicting how many wins PJF should deliver in 2017. And there seems to be at least two factions... Those that believe TC set a solid foundation and PJF has a responsibility to build on this. Immediately. For others, they want to cut PJF some slack for 2017. Give him time to build a stronger culture and get his recruits in the system. Time to put specifics on the line. Give your win total and the outcomes for 2017 that dictate THE MINIMUM our maroon and gold need to accomplish to consider 2017 as a successful year. Here's my take.

9 wins minimum to call 2017 a success:

Buffalo - W
Oregon State - W
Middle Tennessee - W
Maryland - W
Purdue - W
Michigan State - W
Illinois - W
Northwestern - L
One trophy win - Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin
Nebraska - L

Mid-tier bowl - W

That's unrealistic with culture change. I say 3-wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's unrealistic with culture change. I say 3-wins.

Had the best season in 50 years last year should expect the Rose Bowl next year.

There have been threads predicting how many wins PJF should deliver in 2017. And there seems to be at least two factions... Those that believe TC set a solid foundation and PJF has a responsibility to build on this. Immediately. For others, they want to cut PJF some slack for 2017. Give him time to build a stronger culture and get his recruits in the system. Time to put specifics on the line. Give your win total and the outcomes for 2017 that dictate THE MINIMUM our maroon and gold need to accomplish to consider 2017 as a successful year. Here's my take.

9 wins minimum to call 2017 a success:

Buffalo - W
Oregon State - W
Middle Tennessee - W
Maryland - W
Purdue - W
Michigan State - W
Illinois - W
Northwestern - L
One trophy win - Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin
Nebraska - L

Mid-tier bowl - W

I think your are correct a minimum of 9 wins (counting the bowl game) anything less is not a successful year,

I would also throw in there that he is allowed only one bad blow out game. if we lose several by a few touchdowns then those add to the less than successful year.

If Coyle wants to play big boy AD then he should have these expectations as well, Spending the State of Minnesotas money on anything less than these expectations would be a bad investment

These threads are kind of dumb even tho I love FB talk. What if we lose our first five then win out plus land a top 25 class?
This year isn't really about wins, it's about seeing what we've got and building for the future. I expect a decent year with 7-8 wins, and think we take a step back next year before the leap.

These threads are kind of dumb even tho I love FB talk. What if we lose our first five then win out plus land a top 25 class?
This year isn't really about wins, it's about seeing what we've got and building for the future. I expect a decent year with 7-8 wins, and think we take a step back next year before the leap.

You are free to choose what success is. The point of the thread was to be specific. It's easy to call out other people when you don't define what your own position is. If 7-8 wins is your call, which wins and which losses?

Had the best season in 50 years last year should expect the Rose Bowl next year.

So we'll be in the CFP semifinals? I'll settle for the 1/1/20 Rose bowl when it's the normal match-up, but I like your optimism.

I got them losing to Michigan and Northwestern with the last game being a decider for the division.

Michigan- Too many four and five star recruits to win sadly

Northwestern- Young quarterback makes too many mistakes

Seth Green leads us to the promised land!

I'm sure I'll change my mind after spring ball but I'll play along with this. Shoot is the off-season.

Reserving the right to change my mind before the season:

Buffalo- Win

Oregon state- Win

Blue Raiders- Win

Maryland- Loss

Purdue- Win

Michigan State- Win

Illinois- Win

Iowa- Loss

Michigan- Loss

Nebraska- Loss

Northwestern- Win

Wisconsin- Loss

Bowl Game- Win

8 wins

Beat Wisconsin.

Doesn't matter they didn't play Rutgers and Maryland.
That 2003 schedule may have been the easiest of the last 20 years, but 10 wins is 10 wins. That team beat a couple big name teams that were having really down years. We just barely beat a 3-9 Penn state team and a 7-6 Wisconsin team. We lost to every good team we played with maybe the exception of the 8-5 Oregon team.

I say 8 wins or more next year is a success.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Agree. Regular season wins: 8 in 2017, 9 in 2018, and 10+ in 2019. Bowls: wins 2 of 3 in the next three seasons.

Realistically, I would say minimum of 7 wins. New coaching staff, new system, new QB - lot of variables. My personal desire is to see an offensive philosophy that carries through from the practice field to game day. I can't take another season of daily QB complaints on the Hole.

If I am putting aside the complete hypocrisy of most Fleckophiles and answering this question based solely on the program:

9 wins would be a success (regardless of who we beat to get to those 9 wins)
7-8 wins would be. . . meh. I wouldn't call it a troubling but it wouldn't be a success
Anything less than 7 wins would be a step back.

Zero threads on GopherHole about spirals.

I'm thinking 6 wins in regular season with victory in a lower tier bowl. 7-6 for 2017. And, 2018 will be 7-5 at best b/c the schedule is brutal and Maryland is getting much better. 2019 will be the breakthrough year of 9 or 10 wins, or PJF will taking heat.

TC would've won 5 in 2017 and 4 in 2018. But we all know that. I couldn't resist.

I also expect that the oddsmakers will be predicting 5 or 6 wins for both 2017 and 2018.

I'm not looking at wins at all. I want players to understand the schemes of the new offense, defense, special teams and play fundamentally sound. Good tackling, be in the right positions, run good pass routes etc. Next year is about continuing to grow and building team chemistry. Wins this year mean nothing. Need to learn to row together before they can row far.

Top Bottom