Drexel's Alihan Demir transfers to Minnesota

Good news. I'm relatively optimistic about NCAA's next year if Coffey comes back.

If Coffey comes back, I look forward to some interesting play-by-play:

"Amir with the ball...passes to Demir....back to Amir......to Demir......pass to Amir and basket by Amir, with the assist to Demir."

If Coffey comes back, I look forward to some interesting play-by-play:

"Amir with the ball...passes to Demir....back to Amir......to Demir......pass to Amir and basket by Amir, with the assist to Demir."

Why did Jamir have to transfer? It could have been epic...

Jeff Goodman tweeted out "this one has high major written all over it" when Alihan Demir announced his decision to grad transfer, so I am hoping he can be a solid addition. A number of programs appeared to reach out to him, so that's another positive. I think it will be interesting to see how the Gopher play with a 4 with Demir's type of game as opposed to Jordan Murphy. They relied so much on Jordan to get tough rebounds last year and there really isn't an obvious way to match up on the boards with an Oturu/Demir front court and potentially starting a freshman at the 3 likely wouldn't help things. Certainly going to need to gang rebound in a way the Gophers haven't over the past few years. On the offensive end, having a more versatile piece at the 4 will be interesting. The Gophers really depended on Murphy to get them buckets but he didn't space the floor or handle it that well. Demir seems to have the versatility to stretch the floor, put the ball on the deck, and maybe even pass the ball a bit. Obviously, I have no idea if those skills will translate to the B1G level (and he didn't shoot it well from 3 at the mid major level) but he at least seems comfortable with attempting them which wasn't always the case with really any Gopher at the 4 position last year.

I am personally keeping my expectations low, but adding some experience at the 4 so we don't have to count on Curry and/or force Omersa in to a role he might not be ready for was crucial. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 3 options at the 4 emerged as the starter by the middle of the B1G season.

Am I incorrect in thinking this is going to be a very different-looking team next year? Are we likely to see a more up-tempo offense ... and perhaps more pressure defense?

JTG

Pitino got three of his four recruits in the spring. Many people used to talk about spring recruiting like it was a discount bin. That's changed. I'm going to reserve any opinions on Freeman. He could be good or he could be a project. But Demir is a proven D1 player, albeit in a lower conference, and the kid from Germany must have a few things going for him to be rated as highly as he was. This was a pretty good haul even if Pitino doesn't pick up anyone else.

We need a true point guard. Badly

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

“I was looking to go to a program where there is a huge opening in my position,” Demir told the Star Tribune. “A good team that has a good chance making it to the [NCAA] tournament and having a chance to make a run in the tournament. But most importantly I was looking for the right fit.”

There are big shoes to fill at power forward after Pitino lost All-Big Ten senior Jordan Murphy to graduation. Murphy finished his career as the school’s all-time leading rebounder and No. 2 in scoring. Demir is more of a versatile forward with the ability to play on the perimeter and score in the low post.

“[Murphy] averaged over 30 minutes and is graduating,” said Demir, who might replace Murphy as a frontcourt starter. “There is a need in that spot, but nothing is promised.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-add-grad-transfer-in-drexel-s-alihan-demir/509403061/

Go Gophers!!

I'd be extremely happy if Demir turned out to be the player Joey was for us, if he could give us that shooting.

I wouldn't be too happy if he rebounded like Joey King. I don't blame King entirely because his game was clearly that of a stretch forward but Pitino forced him into the 4 role because he didn't have anyone else until Murphy came along.

I'd be extremely happy if Demir turned out to be the player Joey was for us, if he could give us that shooting.

I would be disappointed. Joey King was not a big ten player. We were just a bad team that year. Demir looks a lot more versatile in those highlights than Joey King

I would be disappointed. Joey King was not a big ten player. We were just a bad team that year. Demir looks a lot more versatile in those highlights than Joey King

Joey was the second leading scorer for us a few years ago, averaged 11.6 PPG and had back to back years with at least 55 made 3's at a 40% clip. He absolutely was a Big Ten player and the team would have been pretty good if he was the 5th or 6th scorer on the team instead of the second leading scorer. Even with his weak rebounding and defense, I'd be very happy if Joey was our starting PF next year or rather, if Demir turned out to be the same player Joey was. As I have said before, they are both similar level rebounders and defenders, Joey is a much better shooter, but Demir is a better low post scorer, better passer and more willing to put the ball on the floor and drive it.

Demir has some footwork. Love it. Will be a good guy for our younger bigs to learn from and practice against. I'm confident in him being able to contribute. I don't expect him to light the world on fire but if he can be here this summer, that would be a big help.

Nice get. Now find an immediately eligible transfer guard or high school senior guard who can come in and add depth there. I feel like if Coffey is back, the front court is ready to go.

Side note: I wonder if there will be anyone redshirted this year. Oturu, Demir, Freeman, Hurt, Omersa and Curry makes for a crowded front court, especially if Coffey is back and eats a ton of minutes at the 3. Gabe will play a lot at the 2. Carr at the 1. Willis relieves them, Plus Ihnen...Do we have too many good players????

Joey was the second leading scorer for us a few years ago, averaged 11.6 PPG and had back to back years with at least 55 made 3's at a 40% clip. He absolutely was a Big Ten player and the team would have been pretty good if he was the 5th or 6th scorer on the team instead of the second leading scorer. Even with his weak rebounding and defense, I'd be very happy if Joey was our starting PF next year or rather, if Demir turned out to be the same player Joey was. As I have said before, they are both similar level rebounders and defenders, Joey is a much better shooter, but Demir is a better low post scorer, better passer and more willing to put the ball on the floor and drive it.

It seems the general consensus is the hope that Demir's "floor" at least matches what Joey brought to the team but with a much higher "ceiling". Personally, I always thought Joey was a heck of a player for us...I'd have a roster spot open for a kid like that every year if I was the coach.

Demir has some footwork. Love it. Will be a good guy for our younger bigs to learn from and practice against. I'm confident in him being able to contribute. I don't expect him to light the world on fire but if he can be here this summer, that would be a big help.

Nice get. Now find an immediately eligible transfer guard or high school senior guard who can come in and add depth there. I feel like if Coffey is back, the front court is ready to go.

Side note: I wonder if there will be anyone redshirted this year. Oturu, Demir, Freeman, Hurt, Omersa and Curry makes for a crowded front court, especially if Coffey is back and eats a ton of minutes at the 3. Gabe will play a lot at the 2. Carr at the 1. Willis relieves them, Plus Ihnen...Do we have too many good players????

My best guess at a possible redshirt would be Freeman since most "bigs" take a little longer to develop their game and bodies. If Coffey does return, we would indeed have crazy depth:

C - Oturu/Freeman
PF - Demir/Curry/Omersa
SF - Coffey/Ihnen/Hurt
SG - Kalscheur/Williams
PG - Carr/Willis

If Coffey doesn't come back, we might need a Wing more than a PG although Gabe and Tre could probably play SF at times.

It seems the general consensus is the hope that Demir's "floor" at least matches what Joey brought to the team but with a much higher "ceiling". Personally, I always thought Joey was a heck of a player for us...I'd have a roster spot open for a kid like that every year if I was the coach.

I'd say the opposite. Demir's ceiling is Joey as a senior. Demir's floor is probably worse than that. But I'd be very happy if he reached that ceiling so not a knock on Demir at all. Maybe Demir's floor is what Joey was a a sophomore or junior but Joey was pretty solid as a senior, even if he was a weak rebounder and defender.

2015-16 team was a mess with the guard suspensions.
Joey's rebounding and defense wouldn't have stood out had Oturu been the center and Coffey the SF.
We had Konate at center and Morris at 6-5 180 at SF. It was not a good rebounding team.

Demir shot 36% from 3 as a fr, dropped to 27% last year. Lets hope the shot returns.

I guess it is a preference thing because Joey was unable to guard 3s or 4s and he was a solid shooter but didn't really bring much else to the table in my opinion and was a liability. We were just so bad his senior that he had to give us minutes

Demir is a nice grab. However, if Coffey is back, then Demir is probably the 4th or 5th best starter, assuming he starts. He was only worth 2.1 win shares, which is a good bench player but not great for a starter.

I'm also worried about Carr. We cannot count on him to be a great contributor. Another good PG would be nice if one is available.

I'd say the opposite. Demir's ceiling is Joey as a senior. Demir's floor is probably worse than that. But I'd be very happy if he reached that ceiling so not a knock on Demir at all. Maybe Demir's floor is what Joey was a a sophomore or junior but Joey was pretty solid as a senior, even if he was a weak rebounder and defender.

Not sure I'd agree with this. I would bet that King wasn't going to score more than 15 and grab more than 7 boards his 3 year of play at Drake and I'm guessing its similar competition? Not saying that is the only indicator but he essentially played as well as King did at a mid major.

Demir is a nice grab. However, if Coffey is back, then Demir is probably the 4th or 5th best starter, assuming he starts. He was only worth 2.1 win shares, which is a good bench player but not great for a starter.

I'm also worried about Carr. We cannot count on him to be a great contributor. Another good PG would be nice if one is available.

10 ppg at Pitt as a frosh....Not bad.

Not sure I'd agree with this. I would bet that King wasn't going to score more than 15 and grab more than 7 boards his 3 year of play at Drake and I'm guessing its similar competition? Not saying that is the only indicator but he essentially played as well as King did at a mid major.

If Joey played all 4 years at Drake then I would expect him in his 4th year to have the same numbers Demir put up if not better. If you can put up 11.6 PPG and 3.8 RPG as a 3 in the Big Ten then as a 4 in the MVC or CAA, I'd expect 15-16 PPG and 6-7 boards.

I think Carr will be very solid at PG and I do wish we had a true ball handler behind him but I think we can get away with playing someone else (Willis, Tre, Amir, whoever) at point for 8-12 min a game. I just commented how I would like Kobe Brown on another thread but I also wouldn't mind a grad transfer that could play guard and handle the ball a little. Have to wonder how landing brown would affect Walton and Garcia next year, although I don't think you shouldn't recruit Brown with that in mind.

Count me in on the "Im not worried about Carr" camp

Top Bottom