Why SHOULDN'T Coyle fire Claeys right now?

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
State your reasons (if you have any).

Results on the field are lacking and we don't have an elite recruiting class to worry about losing. Claeys doesn't even have a huge contract to deter Coyle. I think now is the time.

Wait to see how it goes next week. If we win in College Park, 4-2 with games against Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers and Northwestern left, Terps could be had, they got hammered by PSU today. If a L next week, pull the trigger

Because Coach told him and everybody that they'd win 9 games?

It won't be today... but after the Terps blow us out next weekend, then I think it will be on his mind.

What advantage do you gain by firing him today?? Now excuse me while I get out of here before Gopherhole turns into flames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Results on the field are lacking and we don't have an elite recruiting class to worry about losing. Claeys doesn't even have a huge contract to deter Coyle. I think now is the time.

Umm...Why we shouldn't? Because we are 0-2 with a win against Colorado St. plus we have 5 or 6 no name recruits coming in next year....Duh....

I Agree, Claeys should go... but not until after last game of season. This team needs all the coaching help it can get, even if it is from a lame duck coach. Coyle can easily put out feelers in-between.

Let Claeys finish the season, then pull the plug, unless a miracle happens.

claeys and jay deserve a chance to show what they can do with another QB imo if they cant develop one of the next generation then they are out. you can complain about the mental mistakes and they are obviously a issue that needs fixing but its clear mitch's sub par play is the most glaring problem

Exactly, we gain nothing firing him during the season. There is no candidate I can think of that we could get mid season, the only thing it would do is create more uncertainty and instability.

He brought us a Quick Lane Bowl Championship!

In all honesty, though, I agree with some of the other posters here. Certainly have to put it on the table to move on from Claeys. However, I think that it might be wise to wait until this season is over, rather than getting rid of him now. Let's see how the next few weeks go, at least.

Why? Who ya gonna name interim? Then we're minus a coach. What a dumb statement. Gopherhole rocks!!! At least we have the Gopherhole!!!!

It's a tough decision...Schools that really care about the football program will absolutely fire a coach mid-season. I would say give them one more game...

If only just for morbid curiosity to see what the coaching staff does next weekend.

So dumb. Having an interim coach the rest of the year would help? Or is this another "hire Dungy" type request. Firing him isn't the answer if you don't have the right guy to hire. The right guy (whoever you think that is) is busy doing something else till the end of the year. Give TC a chance to turn it around this year - no downside in doing that vs interim coach.

dumb if you are going to fire him after the season just do it now - both are the wrong paths here though

What is dumb is to keep Clayes if we don't go bowling. we will not get recruits, we will not have fans and this program will go bacwards fast.

To keep Claeys in the hopes he turns it around when the program is going down the toilet is dumb and I hope Coyle is not that dumb.

I love how the "there is no play to fire him now" people act as if there is a better alternative. This team is horrible. What is the worst case scenario? We are horrible again next year? Are we going to lose our 2017 recruiting class that is in the cellar of the big ten anyways? The whole point in appointing Claeys as HC was to ensure stability in the current roster.. For me 5-7 is the same as 2-10.

What is dumb is to keep Clayes if we don't go bowling. we will not get recruits, we will not have fans and this program will go bacwards fast.

To keep Claeys in the hopes he turns it around when the program is going down the toilet is dumb and I hope Coyle is not that dumb.

that's a far take dude how about answer this question:

do you have faith in tracy claeys and jay johnson's ability to develop a QB in the next 3 years? if the answer is not its time to move on

I don't care who the interim coach is, as long as they show energy and passion. Every time I see Tracey on the sidelines he looks like he has no idea what's going on and borderline disinterested in the game. The fact he's grossly overweight doesn't help.

I don't care who the interim coach is, as long as they show energy and passion. Every time I see Tracey on the sidelines he looks like he has no idea what's going on and borderline disinterested in the game. The fact he's grossly overweight doesn't help.

:pig: lol

lane's looking cut these days dude just saying join the dark side

Unless the AD has a gold-plated replacement you don't fire Claeys, not even at the end of the season (which could still be 7-5). But the offense runs hot and cold and we should be seeing Croft or somebody in there from time to time. Except for one long run, defense improved from last week to hold Iowa to two field goals. This week the offense stunk. 7 points! In a home game with Iowa! The new OC is as dull as the others over the years - runs Leidner (slowest guy in the backfield) multiple times, endless runs between the tackles, no imagination.

Johnson's play calling is as boring as Limey. Claeys is not the man to lead this program. First of all, how does an obese man tell kids to get in shape? He is a good old country boy with no charisma and no strength. We need someone with a personality like Saban or Meyer. Someone who is demanding. You watch Leidner out there and he is all nonchalant with no drive. The team makes so many mistakes it just shows poor leadership.

that's a far take dude how about answer this question:

do you have faith in tracy claeys and jay johnson's ability to develop a QB in the next 3 years? if the answer is not its time to move on

I think you and I are on the same page. I don't have faith in this coaching staff. I think it is time to move on. However, I do not believe that we should fire Claeys mid-season. Let the man finish the season out. We are going to pay him either way and there is no one on this staff that is going to step into Claeys' shoes and all of a sudden make this a winning team.

Top Bottom