STrib: P.J. Fleck surprises Gophers, swaps football for whiffle ball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jason:

P.J. Fleck's charge to be "elite" also apparently allows for some fun.

The Gophers football team arrived at the Gibson-Nagurski football complex Tuesday morning to a surprise. Instead of the planned workout, the team played whiffle ball.

Gophers football general manager Gerrit Chernoff tweeted photos of the action with the caption “Some ELITE morning surprise whiffle ball! #RTB.”

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-surprises-gophers-swaps-football-for-whiffle-ball/413983323/

Go Gophers!!

Can't wait to see how the anti-Fleck crowd is going to spin this one...

Do you really think there's an anti-Fleck crowd? I think the great majority of posters desperately want him to succeed but there are some who want to see some substance to his shtick which I can fully understand.

Do you really think there's an anti-Fleck crowd? I think the great majority of posters desperately want him to succeed but there are some who want to see some substance to his shtick which I can fully understand.
I don't think it's so much that there's an anti-Fleck crowd, but there are some posters that clearly think they are superior and more intelligent and have to tolerate their subordinates.

Spot on. Still don't get that now that he's here, his biggest supporters are worried about realistic expectations.

Preparing to be hammered in 3...2...1...

Spot on. Still don't get that now that he's here, his biggest supporters are worried about realistic expectations.

Preparing to be hammered in 3...2...1...
To quote Yogi Berra: "It's Deja vu all over again."

1. It's just general optimism vs. general pessimism, not an anti-Fleck crowd. I'm an optimist. I drink lots of Kool Aid. If I get burned by that, I move on.

2. Many posters don't like the way the Claeys firing went down (including myself) and are carrying that energy over into their assessment of Fleck (unlike myself). I see the Claeys thing as spilled milk and unrelated to Fleck.

3. To each his own.

4. Whiffle ball is awesome.

13-1 at Western Michigan, played Wisconsin better than any Gophers team in the last decade. Coached a MAC team to a top 15 final ranking. He's all shtick, either that or those Gopher football fans don't know much about college football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Many posters don't like the way the Claeys firing went down (including myself) and are carrying that energy over into their assessment of Fleck (unlike myself). I see the Claeys thing as spilled milk and unrelated to Fleck.

I've internalized Coach Claeys dismissal to seeing our Athletic Director as a snake and the University President not much better.

As for Coach Fleck, very pumped.

Just like when Coach Kill was hired, and then Tracy took over, there are times you just have to have faith.

For me...In Fleck We Trust.

1. It's just general optimism vs. general pessimism, not an anti-Fleck crowd. I'm an optimist. I drink lots of Kool Aid. If I get burned by that, I move on.

3. To each his own.

4. Whiffle ball is awesome.

Whiffle ball is totally awesome.

13-1 at Western Michigan, played Wisconsin better than any Gophers team in the last decade. Coached a MAC team to a top 15 final ranking. He's all shtick, either that or those Gopher football fans don't know much about college football.

I'm an optimist. Glass half full. Still get hammered when I post I think 8 reg. season wins this year is reasonable to expect. Guess being optimistic about this year makes me a PJ hater somehow.

Phil Niekro would have been a great wiffleball pitcher. Scuff the ball with a file and you get nasty movement.

I had some washable paint to mark a wiffleball field in the backyard for the kids. We had a row of lilacs in left field we affectionately called the Green Monster. Kids and I spent hours playing wiffleball.

I'm an optimist. Glass half full. Still get hammered when I post I think 8 reg. season wins this year is reasonable to expect. Guess being optimistic about this year makes me a PJ hater somehow.

This is easy to understand. The more you like PJF the less you expect this year. 8 wins expected demonstrates a hater. If you really were an optimist about PJF, as you claim, you would be expecting much lesser results. Maybe 4 wins would demonstrate that better. Less than that if you REALLY liked him.

Not anti-Fleck, but I put this right up there with throwing tennis balls.

Can you see how ironic this is? No one had made a single negative post until yours. They still haven't.

I've internalized Coach Claeys dismissal to seeing our Athletic Director as a snake and the University President not much better.

As for Coach Fleck, very pumped.

Just like when Coach Kill was hired, and then Tracy took over, there are times you just have to have faith.

For me...In Fleck We Trust.
In any case...we're Flecked! [emoji41]

So......whiffle ball, huh? Gotta change it up once in awhile. Fleck seems like very much a player's coach.

Yeah I haven't seen it either.

Could throw a great curve ball and also could never hit one...with the skinny bat.

Well in fairness, wiffle ball curve balls are absolute insanity. When I played we had a rule that you could only throw knuckle balls or put "a little" spin on it because it just gets absurd.

Can you see how ironic this is? No one had made a single negative post until yours. They still haven't.

Mine was a bad joke.
Do you really want to compare the negativeness of our post histories?

Well in fairness, wiffle ball curve balls are absolute insanity. When I played we had a rule that you could only throw knuckle balls or put "a little" spin on it because it just gets absurd.

But man that feeling when you were batting and were able to connect on a nasty curveball.

But man that feeling when you were batting and were able to connect on a nasty curveball.

So true, but then at night someone had to sneak out and climb up the poorly secured ladder at the neighboring fast food join to get on the roof to retrieve the dingers...

This is easy to understand. The more you like PJF the less you expect this year. 8 wins expected demonstrates a hater. If you really were an optimist about PJF, as you claim, you would be expecting much lesser results. Maybe 4 wins would demonstrate that better. Less than that if you REALLY liked him.

Key word is EXPECTED. I think 8 wins is possible, but I'm not going to make demands like that of a coach in his first year in a new city with new players who have to learn new schemes.

Maybe not in a decade, but Kill's 2009 NIU team played Wisconsin tougher than Minnesota had since 05'.

I think most people are just being cautiously optimistic.

Regarding the Whiffle ball, good team building exercise.

Top Bottom