Hello Gopher fans, Southern Miss fan here...

You're right. I was misinformed. They are ethnically Jewish from St. Louis Park. Fargo is still a poke in the eye.

I saw Fargo long before I moved to Minnesota (several times in fact). I never felt at the time that the movie belittled Minnesotans. The main character (with the very exaggerated accent) was sharp as a tack. Even the two prostitutes (with similarly exaggerated accents) were portrayed as friendly and likeable. Jerry Lundergard was sleazy but there are sleazy people like that everywhere.

Yes it is. Coen is the Irish spelling. Cohen is Jewish.

Coen or Cohen, same thing. One isn't Irish/Dutch the other Jewish, they are all Jewish. Just one had an ancestor who was inspired, probably because of persecution, to drop the h, and happened to live in Ireland or the Netherlands. The Coen Brother's ancestors could be Irish or Dutch for all we know, but unlike myself for example, I only trace my heritage back 4 or 5 generations, my grandfather and several of my uncles on my father's side were born in Norway. When they got to America they dropped the "t" at the end of our name, all but one of my uncles, he and his family still put the "t" at the end of their name. Doesn't mean they aren't related anymore or are from a different heritage.

It is believed that those with the last name of Cohen can trace their lineage right back to Moses and Aaron and were tasked with the lofty job of being High Priests and attending to the Temple in Jerusalem. So its as Jewish of a name as it gets.

Coen or Cohen, same thing. One isn't Irish/Dutch the other Jewish, they are all Jewish. Just one had an ancestor who was inspired, probably because of persecution, to drop the h, and happened to live in Ireland or the Netherlands. The Coen Brother's ancestors could be Irish or Dutch for all we know, but unlike myself for example, I only trace my heritage back 4 or 5 generations, my grandfather and several of my uncles on my father's side were born in Norway. When they got to America they dropped the "t" at the end of our name, all but one of my uncles, he and his family still put the "t" at the end of their name. Doesn't mean they aren't related anymore or are from a different heritage.

It is believed that those with the last name of Cohen can trace their lineage right back to Moses and Aaron and were tasked with the lofty job of being High Priests and attending to the Temple in Jerusalem. So its as Jewish of a name as it gets.

You are way off. The Irish version is a patronym. They were not Jewish.

I would much rather live in MN than Miss but a "few small rough pockets"? No, there are a lot of rough pockets in the metro that I would not feel comfortable residing in. Parts of Brooklyn Park, parts of SLP, all of East St. Paul, all of North Mpls, parts of NE mpls, parts of S. Mpls, parts of Richfield, and parts of SW mpls (probably more but you get the hint).

I think you are exaggerating a bit. Yes, I wouldn't stroll around North Mpls, but most of S. Mpls is nice, or at least OK, with just a few rough spots (mostly on the east side). Can't say I've ever seen a "bad" part of SW Mpls. NE Mpls is mostly fine. The area just south of I 94 is not very good and some areas south of downtown close to I 35 are sketchy.

Richfield looks a bit grubby in places but it seems pretty safe to me when I've been there and it has a fairly low crime rate. It is also very accessible to lots of shopping and amenities. Except for some small pockets (mostly apartment complexes), St. Louis Park is a pretty good area.

I don't know much about the inner North suburbs but since some of them either border, or are close to, the worst part of Mpls, I guess they could have some rough areas.

I agree that the area southwest of Lake Phalen in St. Paul doesn't seem very good, but I've never had any problems walking around St. Paul.

The best comedians seem to have come to understand the riches to be found when able to laugh at themselves and/or their own families, their own heritage and/or peeps, etc..

If you can't laugh at yourself, then you will never be a great comedian.

The Coen Brothers seem to consider themselves in part, comedians, and enjoy making fun of a lot of things, I don't find it offensive that they chose to poke fun of their home state. There is a lot to poke fun of. A lot to be proud of as well, but I think one of those things we can or should be proud of, is our ability to poke fun of and/or laugh at ourselves. Although it is altogether possible that the Coen Brothers were trying to demean or belittle Minnesotans, as many have interpreted it that way. Non-Minnesotans enjoy making fun of Minnesota, just as Minnesotans often enjoy making fun of southerners or Coasters, so they will latch onto anything that comes along that helps them to do that as would we.

I am posting on behalf of my husband. This is his account.

He asked me to post in this thread. He was stabbed in North Minneapolis today, and is in surgery as I type.

He is asking for your help. If you are near North Minneapolis, please keep your eyes out for a polar bear, a bi polar bear, and a bipolar bear. Call the TIPS line if you see any of the 3.

He asked me to post in this thread. He was stabbed in North Minneapolis today, and is in surgery as I type.

He is asking for your help. If you are near North Minneapolis, please keep your eyes out for a polar bear, a bi polar bear, and a bipolar bear. Call the TIPS line if you see any of the 3.

Did the bear have an accent?

You are way off. The Irish version is a patronym. They were not Jewish.

Are you SO sure about that? A person doesn't have to embrace their Jewish heritage, to have some. Not saying you might not be right in some cases, but in all?

Well, maybe another time we can debate this, not sure its the appropriate time or place right now, lol.

Way too serious of a subject.

:clap:

Did Mr. bear spell it's name... b-e-a-r, b-e-h-r, or b-a-r-e

He told the police that the 3 bears were carrying what he assumed were stolen hubcaps, and smelled of whisky. We are going on the assumption that they are Irish.

I was out stabbing people all day yesterday and failed to read through this gem until now. On an unrelated topic, has anyone tried the new line of stabbing knives from Cabelas? I'm finding I am needing to sharpen my current set waaaaay too often. My cousin says it is my technique (he goes for gut stabs, where the chance of hitting dullness-inducing-bone is lower).

And you know this how?

When Fargo came out my very unscientific poll indicated that my friends who were natives pretty intensely hated it and my friends who were non natives loved it. I thought it was a classic. The accent was an exaggeration, but not by much.

My take:

We were the better team, wore them down with size, figured out their zone and improved on d the second half.

People from Minnesota do have accents. Go further north to Bemidji or Crookston and you will really notice it. I have relatives who have a much stronger minnesotan accent than others, but when I travel down to the southern part of the United States I am asked about the accent often and I talk nothing like the exaggerated version in Fargo but it is there.

Never been stabbed

The Fargo movie is a classic

No idea if Coen brothers are Jewish or Irish.

I feel safe in most parts of the Minneapolis and St Paul. That is all relative. Rough parts of Minneapolis are very different than rough parts of other towns. We don't know how lucky we are.

Dakich cringes when he sees the Hoff

Losing Chip to Southern Miss. was not a big deal but their entire team plays just like he did as a gopher

The poster from Mississippi was just having fun - but it was interesting how he chose economy and crime rates as comparisons....when we are top four in terms of positives for both and they are bottom four in both

Saw a polar bear before....at the minnesota zoo

My wife says I am posting and reading on the gopher hole too often.

Doc Don drinks too much beer. (I know that last part wasn't referenced in the thread, but it is applicable to just about everything on gopherhole)

When Fargo came out my very unscientific poll indicated that my friends who were natives pretty intensely hated it and my friends who were non natives loved it. I thought it was a classic. The accent was an exaggeration, but not by much.

I always hear people claim that the Fargo movie accent was some great exaggeration, and I agree that it was not. Any night of the week, if you watch bystander interviews on the local TV news, you will hear the accent. The on air talent never have it, but it is there. The stronger variations of a Fargo accent is more grating and odd to most than a thick southern accent.

Do most people I know in Minnesota have it? Not really, but enough do. The way some people pronounce that long O even during the Rouser, the Fargo accent comes out.

Actually the word Gopher, or even the word "go" bring out the heavy Fargo accent. The odd, really long letter O tells the story. This is not really the strange Canadian accent either, but something the I tend to blame on the Norwegians, Finns, and maybe Swedes.

I always hear people claim that the Fargo movie accent was some great exaggeration, and I agree that it was not. Any night of the week, if you watch bystander interviews on the local TV news, you will hear the accent. The on air talent never have it, but it is there. The stronger variations of a Fargo accent is more grating and odd to most than a thick southern accent.

Do most people I know in Minnesota have it? Not really, but enough do. The way some people pronounce that long O even during the Rouser, the Fargo accent comes out.

Actually the word Gopher, or even the word "go" bring out the heavy Fargo accent. The odd, really long letter O tells the story. This is not really the strange Canadian accent either, but something the I tend to blame on the Norwegians, Finns, and maybe Swedes.

My children are natives and good Minnesotans and when I hear them pronounce the word "for" as "fur" or "fer" I grimace a bit and think I paid a small fortune to educate you and you can't pronounce that word correctly. Should've taken them to a speech therapist.

Just visited UU in the hospital and he is doing better. It actually happened (hopefully his wife doesn't see this) outside of the VU. Weird, but he said the bear was a "road dog."???

Just visited UU in the hospital and he is doing better. It actually happened (hopefully his wife doesn't see this) outside of the VU. Weird, but he said the bear was a "road dog."???

Thanks for the visit. I just arrived home and am convalescing after my ordeal.

mnsports1 is correct. After waking up from surgery, the police began questioning me, and I had to come clean that I was, in fact, enjoying the hotdog buffet at the Vu. The bipolar bear is the one that started everything, honest. The polar bear was just watching some dancers, and the bi polar bear was checking out Grinder on his phone. I was getting my second hotdog and took the last bun when the bipolar bear started getting in my face. I assured him that other buns were coming out very soon, and he just pulled out a knife. I backed up and yelled for the bouncers calling out "He's going crazy!". The bipolar bear just laughed and roared "I AIN'T GOIN' CRAZY! I'M GOING BEAR! THIS IS WHAT WE DO!".

It was terrifying. The rest is really just a blur.

Top Bottom