Several U Football Players Face Discipline

Bottom line is, internal team rules were breached. Punishment and discipline will handled internally, within the team.

You can figure out how many, who, but not what, when the game depth chart is released.

The issue(s) did not involve criminal acts, violence, or domestic abuse matters.

This is all you need to know, and we should move on to more positive things.

So you’re saying the original story with “multiple” solid sources was inaccurate? Hard to believe. Pulitzer on the way?

TBF, original report said 6-8 missing practice not 6-8 suspended for bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with not naming names at this point. He doesn't need to, and it would be inappropriate. All that was needed when this broke was that a few players were disciplined for a violation of team rules. This has been handled internally and it's up to the players to resolve any issues that exist

IF this statement had come out, this line of questions could have been shut down quickly - as we said last week, we're not going to comment on internal discpline issues, next question.

Now the headline is Coach won't answer questions about discipline on team vs. Gophers land second good class in a row. Stupid mistake on Coyle's part, but I expect that. Fleck is not handling questions well, that's unexpected.

My comment was in regards to him saying “a player or players”, as if he doesn’t know exactly who it is. Ridiculous

Bottom line is, internal team rules were breached. Punishment and discipline will handled internally, within the team.

You can figure out how many, who, but not what, when the game depth chart is released.

The issue(s) did not involve criminal acts, violence, or domestic abuse matters.

This is all you need to know, and we should move on to more positive things.

I never heard anything about no laws being broken. Was that reported somewhere? I remember the part about violence or domestic abuse but that certainly doesn't include all laws.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I never heard anything about no laws being broken. Was that reported somewhere? I remember the part about violence or domestic abuse but that certainly doesn't include all laws.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I exercised a bit of poetic license by putting 2 + 2 together. Hopefully it does equal 4.... If a law, let's say for instance, underage drinking were broken, I don't really care, and it is really not worthy of being dealt with outside of the team confines.

A certain Twin Cities sports reporter, that had praised and "confirmed" Joe Christensen and Randy Johnson's initial story that "At least six Gophers football players have been disciplined and have not been allowed to practice recently in preparation for the Quick Lane Bowl for violating team rules.. players face suspension and could miss the Dec. 26 bowl game against Georgia Tech in Detroit"

That sports reporter has now tweeted that the story wasn't wrong because it said that the 6 only "faced"suspension, not that they would be suspended.

He then went on to praise how Fleck has handled thing and then denigrated the previous coach.

The Twin Cities sports reporter was certainly not trying to defend himself and his buddies while sucking-up to the present staff.

Not at all..:rolleyes:

My comment was in regards to him saying “a player or players”, as if he doesn’t know exactly who it is. Ridiculous

What he is saying, as nicely as possible is...., "it is none of your business at this point, and it is being dealt with internally".

The female reporter that kept asking apparently couldn't manage to discern that.

Last edited:

Right after @Coach_Fleck gets done talking about how this is a big market with media that ask tough questions, he's asked about ten questions about discipline issues on the team and has yet to be asked a recruiting question at his Signing Day press conference.

https://twitter.com/mjessenhoward/status/1075480506169479170

A few days ago someone in this very thread predicted that would happen. It might have been me who predicted it. I don't know why they would've expected anything different. This was the first chance the media had to ask about it. It could've been avoided with a quick media briefing or even a statement right after it was initially reported.

Right, but regular students aren't on scholarship, nor are they being suspended from athletic competition. You're comparing apples to oranges.

If someone was on full academic scholarship and got suspended from a student group, they wouldn’t release that info to the public.

But I know I am not comparing apples to oranges.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious

A few days ago someone in this very thread predicted that would happen. It might have been me who predicted it. I don't know why they would've expected anything different. This was the first chance the media had to ask about it. It could've been avoided with a quick media briefing or even a statement right after it was initially reported.

At the same time the media there could just realize after a few questions that Fleck wasn't going to talk specifics. Sounds like one reporter kept pushing him to give more info.

At the same time the media there could just realize after a few questions that Fleck wasn't going to talk specifics. Sounds like one reporter kept pushing him to give more info.
Yes, it was definitely overkill.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TBF, original report said 6-8 missing practice not 6-8 suspended for bowl.

Also said that many suspended for discipline issues, which fleck denied today.
Issue wasn’t the “maybe bowl suspension” to me the maybe bowl suspension line was bad practice. Until you have it you shouldn’t report it. If you want to be a blogger go ahead and do it. Embarrassing for a “newspaper”

The actual error in the story was saying 6 faced discipline conflating all people missing practice for some of the people missing for non-discipline reasons.

A certain Twin Cities sports reporter, that had praised and "confirmed" Joe Christensen and Randy Johnson's initial story that "At least six Gophers football players have been disciplined and have not been allowed to practice recently in preparation for the Quick Lane Bowl for violating team rules.. players face suspension and could miss the Dec. 26 bowl game against Georgia Tech in Detroit"

That sports reporter has now tweeted that the story wasn't wrong because it said that the 6 only "faced"suspension, not that they would be suspended.

He then went on to praise how Fleck has handled thing and then denigrated the previous coach.

The Twin Cities sports reporter was certainly not trying to defend himself and his buddies while sucking-up to the present staff.

Not at all..:rolleyes:

Is his name Rochelle Olson?

Objectively correct.

But Fleck doesn't give a crap about that. He only cares about preventing Georgia Tech from being able to know which of our starters won't be playing in the bowl game, before we take the field.

The suffering innocent fans have to endure. It's too much to take.

What he is saying, as nicely as possible is...., "it is none of your business at this point, and it is being dealt with internally".

The female reporter that kept asking apparently couldn't manage to discern that.

Who was that reporter? Felt amateurish to bring it up again, especially when PJ already answered what was supposed to be the final question.

The most annoying part to me was it was literally the first question after Fleck spent 40 minutes going to each player individually and thanking the TC media. Go figure.

Last edited:

Tell me Gophers4Life is betting his mortgage on this game. Otherwise i don’t get the outrage about not knowing the details about exactly which starter or players won’t be playing. I’m looking forward to the bowl game and with the new RS rule we will see some more of the freshmen playing.

Tell me Gophers4Life is betting his mortgage on this game. Otherwise i don’t get the outrage about not knowing the details about exactly which starter or players won’t be playing. I’m looking forward to the bowl game and with the new RS rule we will see some more of the freshmen playing.

Especially when the super bowl losing coach in the nfl which isn’t dealing with 18-22.year olds held a player out of the Super Bowl without telling anyone why.

If PJ gives an exact number, people can start figuring it out and that starts to ruin player privacy.

It's punishment enough to be punished by the team however it's deemed necessary.
Being singled out in a major media market over something as light as team rules doesn't need to happen.

Those who really need to know will be able to figure it out, but we don't need those players names published in the Strib for all non-football fans to read.

If PJ gives an exact number, people can start figuring it out and that starts to ruin player privacy.

It's punishment enough to be punished by the team however it's deemed necessary.
Being singled out in a major media market over something as light as team rules doesn't need to happen.

Those who really need to know will be able to figure it out, but we don't need those players names published in the Strib for all non-football fans to read.

That's fine if that's the approach they want to take. But if the U stonewalls, they cant be surprised when speculation takes off and reporters (heaven forbid) ask questions at press conferences. Cause and effect.

That's fine if that's the approach they want to take. But if the U stonewalls, they cant be surprised when speculation takes off and reporters (heaven forbid) ask questions at press conferences. Cause and effect.

The only option is to not put any attention to those stories. Won’t click on one. I’ll teach them.
Sarcasm

Also said that many suspended for discipline issues, which fleck denied today.<b>
Issue wasn’t the “maybe bowl suspension” to me the maybe bowl suspension line was bad practice. Until you have it you shouldn’t report it. If you want to be a blogger go ahead and do it. Embarrassing for a “newspaper”</b>

The actual error in the story was saying 6 faced discipline conflating all people missing practice for some of the people missing for non-discipline reasons.

You are probably correct on the bolded. With that said, I’m still not convinced the initial story wasn’t accurate (on 6-8 being suspended from <I>practice</I>). To me, the whole focusing on how 6-8 won’t miss the <b>bowl game </b>and intentionally non-specific answers (like this gem below) raise my skepticism.

“....We had guys missing practices for many different reasons...”

If PJ gives an exact number, people can start figuring it out and that starts to ruin player privacy. It's punishment enough to be punished by the team however it's deemed necessary. Being singled out in a major media market over something as light as team rules doesn't need to happen. Those who really need to know will be able to figure it out, but we don't need those players names published in the Strib for all non-football fans to read.

Best post of the entire thread. Fleck (and the U) are right to provide only the most general information in response to media questions. He definitely shouldn't provide names, the number of players involved, or the reason(s) for the discipline. The privacy of the players must be the most important consideration. If Fleck provides specific information about who has been punished and for what reason it will only lead to a never-ending tidal wave of questions by the media. Although Fleck's refusal to provide specific information will lead to endless speculation about the players involved that is impossible to prevent. We all know the information will get out eventually but it is not a good reason for the U to release it without permission.

Last edited:

When did they express surprise (or anger or dismay or annoyance) at the questions? When this broke didnt the U say Fleck will answer questions next week (today).

He answered all their questions and even answered again after what supposed to be the final question. PR guy cut it off only because it was the same question.

Unless the local columnists chime in, the reaction seems to be pretty benign.

I give PJ a big fat F for the way this was handled. It was frankly a non issue - non newsworthy speculative report that grew legs in no small part because it was announced that PJ would not be available for comment until Signing Day. Well guess what - every hack in the Twin Cities was at Sign Day to ask the questions about the speculative report - and not talk at all about the signing class. Great way to build program enthusiasm PJ.

Free of charge, PJ, here is your next response to the next speculative report - which should be sent out a a news release and not given as an interview:

+++++++++

The University of MN football programs has rules for its team members designed to help maximize the academic and athletic performance of both the team as a unit and each student athlete individually. The team rules have helped many student athletes achieve their academic and athletic goals.

From time to time, a student athlete may stumble and violate a team rule. An appropriate action will be taken to correct the student athlete's behavior and disciplinary action may be taken re-enforce the expected behavior required of team members.

For the privacy of the student athlete, the Football program will never confirm a violation of team rules has occurred nor will it identify players or any disciplinary action that might be taken.

If the Football program discovers a behavior or incident that is a serious violation of the University Code of Conduct, it will be immediately reported to the proper University or Civil authorities for further investigation. The Football program will again maintain the student athlete's privacy by making no comment and will rely on other University officials to make any appropriate statements.

++++++++++

Done and done.

I give PJ a big fat F for the way this was handled. It was frankly a non issue - non newsworthy speculative report that grew legs in no small part because it was announced that PJ would not be available for comment until Signing Day. Well guess what - every hack in the Twin Cities was at Sign Day to ask the questions about the speculative report - and not talk at all about the signing class. Great way to build program enthusiasm PJ.

Free of charge, PJ, here is your next response to the next speculative report - which should be sent out a a news release and not given as an interview:

+++++++++

The University of MN football programs has rules for its team members designed to help maximize the academic and athletic performance of both the team as a unit and each student athlete individually. The team rules have helped many student athletes achieve their academic and athletic goals.

From time to time, a student athlete may stumble and violate a team rule. An appropriate action will be taken to correct the student athlete's behavior and disciplinary action may be taken re-enforce the expected behavior required of team members.

For the privacy of the student athlete, the Football program will never confirm a violation of team rules has occurred nor will it identify players or any disciplinary action that might be taken.

If the Football program discovers a behavior or incident that is a serious violation of the University Code of Conduct, it will be immediately reported to the proper University or Civil authorities for further investigation. The Football program will again maintain the student athlete's privacy by making no comment and will rely on other University officials to make any appropriate statements.

++++++++++

Done and done.

Fleck can spend all day trying to educate the media about the U's student disciplinary process and student privacy rights and they will forget it by the next day (if not sooner). It works the same way in GopherHole except posters usually forget it by the time someone makes the next post.

+++++++++

++++++++++

Done and done.

Fleck was out recruiting and hooked some big fish. I’d rather that than have him responding to every hearsay report.

Love it. Head football coach: “yeah there might be a player or even players who miss the bowl game. Well yeah, there might even be a starter, or even starters who miss the bowl game! I mean, who really knows, right??”
BEGS the Question again: How can this be a principle of the culture...the Farmers Alliance... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwH2IGCmlec

12/13 post: I certainly don't understand or agree with how PJ and Coyle have chosen to deal with this issue. "PJ will be available to the media on Dec 19th" That's signing day...let's just welcome the new guys with conversation on discipline and suspensions. That'll impress everybody.

You can discipline players without punishing the innocent players and fans. Don't agree with not allowing these guys to practice, unless they are in fact off the team permanently?

500 questions, we'll deal with them on signing day. Hey!!! Let's bring in Kool and the Gang and we'll all sing Celebration....thanks for joining our program.

BEGS the Question again: How can this be a principle of the culture...the Farmers Alliance... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwH2IGCmlec

12/13 post: I certainly don't understand or agree with how PJ and Coyle have chosen to deal with this issue. "PJ will be available to the media on Dec 19th" That's signing day...let's just welcome the new guys with conversation on discipline and suspensions. That'll impress everybody.

You can discipline players without punishing the innocent players and fans. Don't agree with not allowing these guys to practice, unless they are in fact off the team permanently?

500 questions, we'll deal with them on signing day. Hey!!! Let's bring in Kool and the Gang and we'll all sing Celebration....thanks for joining our program.

Way doesn’t anyone care about how this affects the innocent fans? Those are the ones really hurt by all this.

Last edited:

Top Bottom