To my fellow Pitino "haters"

I've called for Pitino's head in the past, but I can see giving him another year. We all know he sucks at X/O's. He doesn't coach the players up all that much, and they don't improve month over month and week over week like other teams do. But he has recruited fairly well. They have finished decent this year. And we didn't have a PG this year, but that's because Carr was inexplicably bounced by the NCAA. No one saw that coming. Hard to blame that, or the injuries to Curry, or IW's weirdness, or Dupree's mom, or some debatable officiating in a few games on Pitino.

I don't care who he's talking to and neither should you. I only care if he closes the deal. Good Lord, you're a whiny little putz. You don't even have the talent to insult someone with bravura.

HAHAHAHAHAaa!

Well...I would never say "I told you so".....so I won't

I'm not a Pitino hater at all. In fact, the guy is damn likable. That little thing he did with Dupree last night when he was being interviewed shows what kind of guy he is and that he cares for his players.

It's just the results that have people asking questions. He's making the dance this year, so IMO, he should not be let go. Who knows, once this team gets out of the Big Ten, they might be able to scoop a game or two in the tourney.
What would people be saying if all of a sudden this team goes on and makes a sweet sixteen? That happens and the sentiment about Richard will turn on a dime and there will be calls to extend him.

People that point out his failures are not haters. Haters want the team to lose to get rid of him. At the same time a sweet 16 appearance is not a run, it is two games and does not justify a extension. It does bring him back and a rollover.

People that point out his failures are not haters. Haters want the team to lose to get rid of him. At the same time a sweet 16 appearance is not a run, it is two games and does not justify a extension. It does bring him back and a rollover.

To be fair, it was one of the "haters" that started the thread and categorized it as such.

I agree with the bolded. However, tournament runs aren't seen much around here.

I mean, I'm with you, but a sweet 16 run is something we haven't had here for years. Not saying it would be justified, but I'm pretty sure you would hear words of an extension should that happen.

Also, what are your feelings on him getting next year now that we have made the dance? Just curious.

I've called for Pitino's head in the past, but I can see giving him another year. We all know he sucks at X/O's. He doesn't coach the players up all that much, and they don't improve month over month and week over week like other teams do. But he has recruited fairly well. They have finished decent this year. And we didn't have a PG this year, but that's because Carr was inexplicably bounced by the NCAA. No one saw that coming. Hard to blame that, or the injuries to Curry, or IW's weirdness, or Dupree's mom, or some debatable officiating in a few games on Pitino.

I disagree. It's the coach's job to see that coming and to plan according -- hate to count on hoping. There is always an excuse when things are not working. Excuses are a sure sign things are not meeting expectations. You can "if" any team to a theoretical national championship.

One of the most important things to look at is trajectory. Are we gaining more than we are losing? We are losing about 50% of our rebounding and about 40% of our scoring, steals and blocks. Some big gaps to be filled by unknown big-ten players and growth of others. Tough to say things will be dramatically better on the face of it, but obviously it is possible.

To be a fair judge on the situation, I would need some more sense of what the feeling is around the locker room and what the actual road map looks like. Without that, tough to make an incredibly strong case either way. That stated, it would be nice to say it is obvious things are looking up next year. We have a lot of unknowns. We are returning **3** players that appeared in the game yesterday...that is essentially the definition of unknown.

He's earned another year, like everything else under Pitino let's wait and see how the next week and a half ends up, my expectations are't that great.

Same goes for Greg Gard. Treading water does not equate to success.

Have written this before, so nothing new, but I like his x's and o's, like his player development, really like how players seem to enjoy playing for him. Question for me is recruiting going forward. Not that recruiting to this point has been bad, just cant afford it slipping in a very competitive conference.

The problem with the "haters" is that they actively propagate a negative perception of the program that impacts recruiting, which impacts on court success, so on and so forth. This is partly why Minnesota is perpetually unable to gain traction.

The dilemma I'm having right now is we kinda have to sh*t or get off the pot with Pitino. I'm on the fence about Pitino, if Coyle makes a change I won't be upset, but I also wouldn't be upset about him coming back. Tournament team 2 of the last 3 years and would've been 3 straight without horrendous luck. However, it hasn't been pretty and I'm not sure he will ever take us to the next level. This year his seat has been scalding hot and that has led to some troubles on the recruiting trail. Personally I think we need to extend him or move on. I'm fine with either, although I probably lean extend him. I think if we can finish well on this class and land a GT Big (Sims?) we have a good team next year. In Coyle (Snake) I trust!

Last edited:

I disagree. It's the coach's job to see that coming and to plan according -- hate to count on hoping. There is always an excuse when things are not working. Excuses are a sure sign things are not meeting expectations. You can "if" any team to a theoretical national championship.

One of the most important things to look at is trajectory. Are we gaining more than we are losing? We are losing about 50% of our rebounding and about 40% of our scoring, steals and blocks. Some big gaps to be filled by unknown big-ten players and growth of others. Tough to say things will be dramatically better on the face of it, but obviously it is possible.

To be a fair judge on the situation, I would need some more sense of what the feeling is around the locker room and what the actual road map looks like. Without that, tough to make an incredibly strong case either way. That stated, it would be nice to say it is obvious things are looking up next year. We have a lot of unknowns. We are returning **3** players that appeared in the game yesterday...that is essentially the definition of unknown.

Murphy is going to be a huge loss. However, our shooting and guard play has been what has made this team look bad often times. Let's see it Pitino is able to go out and get a banger and a couple of shooters. If he does, don't be surprised if this team is better next year than this. I expect Coffey to come back and be even better and perhaps improve his shooting and ball handling. I am guessing that Carr will be a good upgrade for the guard play. Guard play is huge in college buckets.

Despite our poor shooting team, one of the worst shooting teams I have seen here, we are in the tournament. That means that the coach and players did other things right and certainly much of that was on the defensive end where we improved as the year went along.

Murphy is going to be a huge loss. However, our shooting and guard play has been what has made this team look bad often times. Let's see it Pitino is able to go out and get a banger and a couple of shooters. If he does, don't be surprised if this team is better next year than this. I expect Coffey to come back and be even better and perhaps improve his shooting and ball handling. I am guessing that Carr will be a good upgrade for the guard play. Guard play is huge in college buckets.

Despite our poor shooting team, one of the worst shooting teams I have seen here, we are in the tournament. That means that the coach and players did other things right and certainly much of that was on the defensive end where we improved as the year went along.

spot on!

The dilemma I'm having right now is we kinda have to sh*t or get off the pot with Pitino. I'm on the fence about Pitino, if Coyle makes a change I won't be upset, but I also wouldn't be upset about him coming back. Tournament team 2 of the last 3 years and would've been 3 straight without horrendous luck. However, it hasn't been pretty and I'm not sure he will ever take us to the next level. This year his seat has been scalding hot and that has led to some troubles on the recruiting trail. Personally I think we need to extend him or move on. I'm fine with either, although I probably lean extend him. I think if we can finish well on this class and land a GT Big (Sims?) we have a good team next year. In Coyle (Snake) I trust!

This is the right take. We're essentially going year-to-year with Pitino. That's not a good place for a program to be. He either needs a long-term commitment, or he needs to go. I am sure he is aware of this as well.

Don't be surprised if Pitino leaves for a new job. That'd be the smart play for him. He's guaranteed 1 more year here based on this year's performance. At another P6 school, he's guaranteed another 4 years. I know which I'd choose.

If it wasn’t for a scorned woman, this likely would’ve been the 3rd NCAA in a row. She’s mad cause he ain’t in love. I think dicky’s Done a good job.

I think you give him a two year extension with only a tolerable increase in the buyout so we can make a move next year if necessary.

If Pitino senses the commitment to him from UMN administration (and fans, FWIW) is not firm I would expect him to explore outside opportunities, which there will be aplenty. Extend him 2-3 years for the optics.

Same goes for Greg Gard. Treading water does not equate to success.

Gard is 45-29 ! Just went 14-6. He has already been to a sweet 16 and is considered far ahead of Pitino in his profession. We would trade right now.

This is the right take. We're essentially going year-to-year with Pitino. That's not a good place for a program to be. He either needs a long-term commitment, or he needs to go. I am sure he is aware of this as well.

Don't be surprised if Pitino leaves for a new job. That'd be the smart play for him. He's guaranteed 1 more year here based on this year's performance. At another P6 school, he's guaranteed another 4 years. I know which I'd choose.

Zero interest from other power 6 programs for Pitino.

Gard is 45-29 ! Just went 14-6. He has already been to a sweet 16 and is considered far ahead of Pitino in his profession. We would trade right now.

Gard is better than Pitino, no question there

But Gard inherited a much better position and start. The question is long term can he maintain what Bo Ryan did? Would Gard have the same success outside of U of W

He did but the way Ryan went about his exit recruiting was paralyzed for 20 months. Greg would be far more sought after than Pitino.

I'm not sure anyone would disagree with that.

You still have not identified your top 4 coaches that would come to MN. Still waiting.......

Gave several names of guys that would come here but it does not matter, we are keeping our guy. Would be shocked though if he ever finishes ahead of Gard.

Top Bottom