Recap: Five Signees for the 2019-2020 Recruiting Class

hungan1

Reaction score
Lindsay Whalen's first recruiting class - Five new Gophers that have signed National Letters of Intent to join the Minnesota women's basketball program for 2019-20 season:

3 Star 6'3" Post Grace Cummings from Des Moines IA;
http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/217902
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=zFyo2KvAA0k

4 Star 5'6" Guard Jasmine Powell from Clinton Township MI (Destiny Pitts' HS);
http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235855
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAiCGXnmT3Y

3 Star 6'0" Guard Justice Ross from Des Moines IA;
http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/236375
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6851268/5a66b6dfb5362c0e646910a2

3 Star 6'0" Guard Sara Scalia from Stillwater MN;
http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/236376
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_2CRXYfOVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMeIM3PfqXM

3 Star 6'2" Post Klarke Sconiers from Bronx NY.
http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/226107
Not very good videos for Sconiers who was overshadowed by 6' 5" Natalija Marshall the UConn recruit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hBJdr4kQzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evgJTHbjB_s

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/...-inks-first-recruiting-class.aspx?path=wbball

Last edited:

Cumming - Stollings recruit.
Powell - Here for Pitts. Stollings gets indirect creds. Apparently best of Gopher class, but only #78 ranked according to ESPN. For comparison, Wagner and Pitts were both in the 50’s.
Ross - If she’s here for Cumming, gotta give indirect creds to Stollings. Otherwise, Whalen.
Scalia - All Whalen.
Sconiers - Whalen.

Last edited:

Nothing awe inspiring about that group, but the real test will be this next cycle. Whalen has time to make relationships and get some real momentum going in the recruiting department...

Cummings picked Gophers cause both her parents are U of Minnesota graduates. sorry that credit doesn't go to stollings. Ross/Powell, neither had a offer from MN until Whalen and current staff came in. they both had interest from previous staff but offer came from current staff. Pitts also didn't leave when stollings left, so even if Powell coming mostly cause of pitts, hard to give that credit to Stollings.

So at best, Stollings gets credit for one of the 5 signees, and that one had gopher ties outside of stollings. but good try down playing Whalen and current staff's recruiting efforts.

Cumming - Stollings recruit.
Powell - Here for Pitts. Stollings gets indirect creds. Apparently best of Gopher class, but only #78 ranked according to ESPN. For comparison, Wagner and Pitts were both in the 50’s.
Ross - If she’s here for Cumming, gotta give indirect creds to Stollings. Otherwise, Whalen.
Scalia - All Whalen.
Sconiers - Whalen.

I think the depth this class brings will be helpful. Sconiers if comes in could take that starting center role vacated by Lamke graduating if Byrne or Tomancova do not develop or improve in the off-season. I could see Powell take the starting PG role from Brunson. If she has a consistent 3-point shot and solid on defense, she will have Hubbard/Pitts out there to help calm down the freshman nerves or turnovers. Plus Brunson would be a nice senior leader off the bench to give Powell a rest along with the sharp-shooter Scalia who will spell Hubbard for a rest.

Starters could be
C: Sconiers
PF: Taiye
SF: Pitts
SG: Hubbard
PG: Powell

6th Woman: Brunson
7th: Scalia

Ross is raw but athletic and could spell Pitts for a rest. Behind Taiye and Sconiers, it will depend how K.Bello, Byrne, Tomacova or Cummings come in and who is ready to contribute. This could be a 8-9 deep rotation which would be a welcomed sight after basically running with 6. Also if Staples takes a step forward maybe she leaps Scalia or Ross in rotation.

Nothing awe inspiring about that group, but the real test will be this next cycle. Whalen has time to make relationships and get some real momentum going in the recruiting department...

I’m not downplaying anything. I’m not exactly a fan of Stollings, just being realistic. Your logic is way more twisted than mine. You don’t even want to give Stollings credit for Pitts, because she didn’t leave when Stollings left. Okayyyyyyyyyyy..... That’s like giving Stollings credit for Wagner because she didn’t change her mind about the U. For me, it’s about who made the original recruitment, plus teammate influence. There’s no way Powell would have been on Minnesota’s radar and vice versa had it not been for Pitts.

As discussed many times on here, Players like Banham and Wagner were going to be gophers no matter who the coach was. However if you wanna give Powell credit to Stollings, then as I stated, AT BEST Stollings gets credit for 1 of 5. Cummings had gopher ties not related to stollings. But as I stated, Powell nor Ross had gopher offers. Whalen and staff offered, were here for her visit and nurtured that relationship. those are whalen recruits if you ask me.

I cant wait to see what you have to say about Whalen/Staff if Bueckers decides elsewhere...:rolleyes:

I’m not downplaying anything. I’m not exactly a fan of Stollings, just being realistic. Your logic is way more twisted than mine. You don’t even want to give Stollings credit for Pitts, because she didn’t leave when Stollings left. Okayyyyyyyyyyy..... That’s like giving Stollings credit for Wagner because she didn’t change her mind about the U. For me, it’s about who made the original recruitment, plus teammate influence. There’s no way Powell would have been on Minnesota’s radar and vice versa had it not been for Pitts.

So, Shades, based on your logic...if, Bueckers commits to the Gophers, you'll then attribute that to Stollings also? I'm sure that Stollings made contact with Paige when Stollings was here.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how good this incoming group is. Worst case scenario, they should be able to provide much needed depth. But hopefully some of them will be able to play at this level. I'm hoping that by the end of next season, we'll know that at least a couple of them can play at this level. With this year's Gopher first year players (Staples, Byrne, Tomancova), we're still not sure if they will be able to contribute at this level. Am I correct in remembering that both Pitts and Staples were 4-star recruits? Pitts was a BIG Freshman of the Year, while Staples struggled, not just because of the injury she had. Am I also correct in remembering that Bello was not a 4 star and she has evolved into an honorable mention all-conference player.

Now that we've closed the book on Stollings recruiting, I think it's fair to say that she was a decent recruiter. She hit with some players (Pitts, Bello, Brunson); missed with others. The recruiting in the early years of her tenure seemed to be better than that of her later years. That being said, she never recruited the state of Minnesota well.

I could see Powell take the starting PG role from Brunson. If she has a consistent 3-point shot and solid on defense, she will have Hubbard/Pitts out there to help calm down the freshman nerves or turnovers. Plus Brunson would be a nice senior leader off the bench to give Powell a rest along with the sharp-shooter Scalia who will spell Hubbard for a rest.

Starters could be
C: Sconiers
PF: Taiye
SF: Pitts
SG: Hubbard
PG: Powell

6th Woman: Brunson
7th: Scalia

That’s just where we want our senior leadership, coming off the bench. Anything could happen (who predicted Pitts as a starter as a freshman?), but your lineup is a bit of a stretch.

If they go two-big lineup, it’d more likely be
Brunson/Powell
Hubbard/Scalia
Pitts/Staples/Ross
TBello/KBello/Cumming/Byrne
Tomancova/Sconiers

KBello could step up as a starter in her senior season, but I’ll lean towards Tomancova since she was getting minutes before she got injured.

Now this is a more sensible two-big lineup. If a freshman steps up, so be it. But one of these freshmen starting before a previous starter level senior, not likely.

Now if Whalen has grown an affinity for Stollings’ 4-guard lineup, it’d be tough again this year because it appears to be a forward heavy team.

Brunson/Powell
Hubbard/Scalia
Staples/Ross
Pitts/Sconiers/Cumming/Byrne
TBello/Tomancova/KBello

If they go this route, Whalen might have to look for a guard grad transfer.
How about that guard from Syracuse who went to Hutchinson Community College? She’d be a nice fit. ;) has

Last edited:

As discussed many times on here, Players like Banham and Wagner were going to be gophers no matter who the coach was.

I wouldn’t say the coach didn’t matter at all. Wagner had Iowa State as a serious final 2. You didn’t know that?

However if you wanna give Powell credit to Stollings, then as I stated, AT BEST Stollings gets credit for 1 of 5. Cummings had gopher ties not related to Stollings.

So what? I read what you said before, and what was my response? Like it or not, somebody gets credit for Cumming. Since she committed under Stollings, that works for me. And if you want to act like the authority on why a player goes to Minnesota, at least make the effort to learn how to spell their name.

But as I stated, Powell nor Ross had gopher offers. Whalen and staff offered, were here for her visit and nurtured that relationship. those are whalen recruits if you ask me.

As I stated, teammate influence is my criteria. I did label it as “indirect” as to imply not full credit, but let’s face it, Powell wouldn’t be coming here if not for Pitts.

I cant wait to see what you have to say about Whalen/Staff if Bueckers decides elsewhere...

I’m expecting Bueckers to go elsewhere, so it’d be no surprise. You’re not?

If Whalen can land Bueckers, she deserves a parade. That’s a huge get.

But using your logic, we probably shouldn’t give credit for Bueckers to Whalen, because
*Bueckers is from Minnesota and that’d be the biggest factor.
*Whalen didn’t make the first offer.

Let me finish by saying I’ve never really liked Stollings from Day 1 of her hire. If you were part of the old Gophers forum, you should know this. I never liked how the AD handled the hire. He wasn’t forthcoming on who the final candidates were. Hiring Stollings seemed like a convenient hire for him. Stollings struck me as a stepping stone type, which came to fruition. People were upset that I wasn’t all warm and fuzzy about Stollings. If she was good a good hire, she’d have to show me. I wasn’t convinced. I actually thought Borton deserved another year because she had built a great roster for the coming year.

But now that Stollings has abandoned Minnesota, it seems so easy for people that probably once loved her and gave her full support, to not want to give credit for anything, even the unexpectedly good recruits she brought here. I find that to be very frickin’ petty.

Last edited:

That’s just where we want our senior leadership, coming off the bench. Anything could happen (who predicted Pitts as a starter as a freshman?), but your lineup is a bit of a stretch.

If they go two-big lineup, it’d more likely be
Brunson/Powell
Hubbard/Scalia
Pitts/Staples/Ross
TBello/KBello/Cumming/Byrne
Tomancova/Sconiers

KBello could step up as a starter in her senior season, but I’ll lean towards Tomancova since she was getting minutes before she got injured.

Now this is a more sensible two-big lineup. If a freshman steps up, so be it. But one of these freshmen starting before a previous starter level senior, not likely.

Now if Whalen has grown an affinity for Stollings’ 4-guard lineup, it’d be tough again this year because it appears to be a forward heavy team.

Brunson/Powell
Hubbard/Scalia
Staples/Ross
Pitts/Sconiers/Cuming/Byrne
TBello/Tomancova/KBello

If they go this route, Whalen might have to look for a guard grad transfer.
How about that guard from Syracuse who went to Hutchinson Community College? She’d be a nice fit. ;) has

So you would rather have a possibility of Powell/Scalia/Ross/Sconiers all off the bench? Ya 4 freshman on floor should be helpful. Brunson would be a calming force for the younger players off the bench. You act like Senior Taiye, RS-Junior Hubbard and Junior Pitts cant be the leadership for starters. Im saying if Powell if a better 3 point shooter and equally good on defense, why wouldn't you go with the better offense to start the game?

and What has Tomancova done in her 6 games to show you she is starter ready? I feel her injury will make her basically a FR next year and between the two I think Sconiers has more upside.

I wouldn’t say the coach didn’t matter at all. Wagner had Iowa State as a serious final 2. You didn’t know that?

So what? I read what you said before, and what was my response? Like it or not, somebody gets credit for Cumming. Since she committed under Stollings, that works for me. And if you want to act like the authority on why a player goes to Minnesota, at least make the effort to learn how to spell their name.

As I stated, teammate influence is my criteria. I did label it as “indirect” as to imply not full credit, but let’s face it, Powell wouldn’t be coming here if not for Pitts.

I’m expecting Bueckers to go elsewhere, so it’d be no surprise. You’re not?

If Whalen can land Bueckers, she deserves a parade. That’s a huge get.

But using your logic, we probably shouldn’t give credit for Bueckers to Whalen, because
*Bueckers is from Minnesota and that’d be the biggest factor.
*Whalen didn’t make the first offer.

Let me finish by saying I’ve never really liked Stollings from Day 1 of her hire. If you were part of the old Gophers forum, you should know this. I never liked how the AD handled the hire. He wasn’t forthcoming on who the final candidates were. Hiring Stollings seemed like a convenient hire for him. Stollings struck me as a stepping stone type, which came to fruition. People were upset that I wasn’t all warm and fuzzy about Stollings. If she was good a good hire, she’d have to show me. I wasn’t convinced. I actually thought Borton deserved another year because she had built a great roster for the coming year.

But now that Stollings has abandoned Minnesota, it seems so easy for people that probably once loved her and gave her full support, to not want to give credit for anything, even the unexpectedly good recruits she brought here. I find that to be very frickin’ petty.

Never said I don't get Stollings Credit. She gets credit for Brunson, Pitts, Hubbard, and the Bello Twins. She also is the one who gave us Lamke (who wasn't a contributor till Whalen was her coach), multiple failed juco projects and sent players like Hirt/Starr running from the program with eligibility remaining. don't forget Whalen did in 1 month what Stollings could not do in 4 years, get a MN HS kid to sign with gophers. Lastly, there never was a search, Teague had one name on his list so what "finalists" are you expecting?

In terms of Bueckers, I could see her going either way. But unlike you who acts like Ivey would of been the done deal to get her, I stand by if Whalen doesn't get Bueckers, no one was going to get her here. Also being from MN is not why or the sole reason I stated Banham and Wagner were going to gophers. They grew up loving the program. Both has familiar ties to the university (banham's family and Wagner's childhood looking up to Shannon schonrock)

and I cant think of anyone who thinks borton deserved another year. Her firing was AT LEAST 3-4 years overdue. She should of been canned after the 2006 mass exodus from the team.

In no way should Borton have had another year. In regards to other candidates for the job which Stollings was hired, it's not a good thing for AD's to disclose who the candidates are/were, as the coaches who were not hired often expect confidentiality with that.

I like the thought of a 4-guard lineup. That may well depend on whether Powell can contribute quickly. Either way, I expect Whalen to move back and forth from a 3-guard lineup to a 4-guard lineup. And I am hoping that with a deeper roster, Whalen will be able to use the press that she has used occasionally this year. That press has been effective, especially with Bello in the middle of it. But that press may lose some of its effectiveness with the loss of Bell, who is a top defender.

So you would rather have a possibility of Powell/Scalia/Ross/Sconiers all off the bench? Ya 4 freshman on floor should be helpful.

Are you a hockey fan, because this isn’t hockey? The only time they’d all being playing at the same is when the Gophers are blowing the other team out. With the improved schedule next year, I suspect we won’t see that too often. Not familiar with the game of basketball? Stick around. You might learn something.

Brunson would be a calming force for the younger players off the bench.

I think most of us would be calmer with a senior PG getting most of the minutes.

You act like Senior Taiye, RS-Junior Hubbard and Junior Pitts cant be the leadership for starters. Im saying if Powell if a better 3 point shooter and equally good on defense, why wouldn't you go with the better offense to start the game?

If Powell is that good as the #78 recruit, then I guess it could happen. But I don’t see why anybody would anticipate that happening over the senior starting. It’s not Bueckers we’re talking about here.

What has Tomancova done in her 6 games to show you she is starter ready? I feel her injury will make her basically a FR next year and between the two I think Sconiers has more upside.

You could be right about this one because the post situation is iffy, but it’s more of a dart throw guess. I got the impression they were liking Tomancova early. Wasn’t she the first post off the bench? No confidence in KBello either? Bencher for life, like Lamke? Let’s treat the freshmen like they’re the best? Experience does matter, and Whalen knows this. She’s highly influenced by Reeve.

I cant wait til Whalen leads the Gophers to the 2035 national championship and Shades somehow finds a way to give the credit to Stollings.

I cant wait til Whalen leads the Gophers to the 2035 national championship and Shades somehow finds a way to give the credit to Stollings.

That’s 16 years from now, so it’s not happening. Like I said, it’s just about being real. Whalen has benefited from Stollings recruiting, just like Stollings greatly benefited from Borton’s recruiting. It’s an obvious observation, not a controversial one.

That’s 16 years from now, so it’s not happening. Like I said, it’s just about being real. Whalen has benefited from Stollings recruiting, just like Stollings greatly benefited from Borton’s recruiting. It’s an obvious observation, not a controversial one.

Shoulda gave her credit for recruiting Scalia too then, She offered and watched her quite a bit.

Can't really tell.....

Shoulda gave her credit for recruiting Scalia too then, She offered and watched her quite a bit.

...how their senior years went. Looking at the internet, but it seems everyone stops talking about them once they commit to a school.

I know Ross has had some knee issues, Cumming has missed time too. It would nice to know a bit more about their senior stats. (Scalia obviously we have more info on.

It seems to me that Whalen garners more media coverage and publicity when she goes to a local game to watch prospects than Stollings. Great for recruiting to be mentioned frequently in the media.

Her next recruiting class will have more of her stamp. As she develops relationships, we hope that more high profile MN recruits opt to consider staying home.

It may take a few recruiting cycles before we can possibly see the Gophers return to the final four if they recruit well.

It seems to me that Whalen garners more media coverage and publicity when she goes to a local game to watch prospects than Stollings. Great for recruiting to be mentioned frequently in the media.

Her next recruiting class will have more of her stamp. As she develops relationships, we hope that more high profile MN recruits opt to consider staying home.

It may take a few recruiting cycles before we can possibly see the Gophers return to the final four if they recruit well.

You could count the number of times Marlene showed up at a local game on one hand. It was Fred, then John, then the third assistant whose name escapes me at this moment, then Gail. That revolving door of assistants was part of the problem, obviously.

https://thetablet.org/girls-hs-hoops-teams-capture-diocesan-crowns/

Christ the King captures AA Diocesan Crown.

In the final game of the day, Christ the King H.S., Middle Village, took down St. Francis Prep, Fresh Meadows, 52-34 in the Division ‘AA’ diocesan championship.

“We just needed to push more in transition, and the shots that we took, we just had to keep shooting because they were definitely going to fall in the second half,” said senior center and team captain Klarke Sconiers, who also had a double-double with a game-high 19 pts. and 12 rebounds. “We kept the confidence and mentality that this was our game.”

A quick 7-0 run by the Lady Royals to start the third quarter helped the team open the lead, and 14-2 run to start the fourth sealed the victory. Junior forward Mia Seemadray scored all seven of her points in the final frame. Junior guard MacKayla Scarlett led St. Francis Prep with 10 pts. and four rebounds.

“Our defense was the best offense,” said head coach Bob Mackey. “We changed up the defense and got the tempo going. The game was too slow.”

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/spo...cle_470ac706-408d-11e9-97af-f389b838e4e5.html

Jasmine Powell leads the way:

Following a 63-35 win over Pontiac in the district opener on Monday, Country Day turned in another impressive effort on Wednesday night, cruising to a convincing 76-46 win over Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood in the district semifinal held at Pontiac Notre Dame Prep.

With the win Country Day advances to the district final where the Yellowjackets will face Pontiac Notre Dame Prep, who defeated Wixom St. Catherine of Siena Academy in the first district semifinal of the day, on Friday night.

Country Day (12-8) wasted little time getting things going on Wednesday night, jumping out to a more than comfortable 27-12 lead after one quarter behind 11 points from Jasmine Powell and 10 more from Adrian Folks.

Powell, who finished with a game-high 25 points to lead the way for the Yellowjackets, said that it was Country Day’s defensive pressure, which led to transition offense that was the key for her team on Wednesday night.

“I think the transition was key, getting steals and getting out in the open,” she said. “We tried to pressure them a little bit, that was in our scouting report that they couldn’t really handle pressure so that’s what we tried to do and tried to carry that out throughout the game.”

Orlando also credited his team’s ability to get out in transition for his team’s success, but also praised his senior point guard and Minnesota signee as well.

“It was the transition game with Jas (Powell), she gets out and runs and she can make any pass in the world,” he said. “She runs a pretty nice offense, if you’re open you’re going to get the ball, I don’t care where she’s at.”

...how their senior years went. Looking at the internet, but it seems everyone stops talking about them once they commit to a school.

I know Ross has had some knee issues, Cumming has missed time too. It would nice to know a bit more about their senior stats. (Scalia obviously we have more info on.

Cumming and Ross are on pretty terrible teams. I watched 1 of Ross's games this year and shes really good defensively, completely shut down Maryland commit Zoe Young. But offensively shes got a long ways to go. Its only a 1 game sample size so maybe it was just a bad night for her offensively but shes a big wing that can do a little of everything.

http://www.startribune.com/class-4a...rs-stillwater-over-white-bear-lake/506861702/

Stillwater and Sara Scalia advance to State.

But No. 1-seeded Stillwater (26-2) outscored the Bears 33-17 in the second half en route to a 61-47 victory in the Class 4A, Section 4 final Thursday at Hastings High School.

The Ponies took a 31-30 lead in the first 1:30 played in the second half. Then senior guard Sara Scalia hit back-to-back three-pointers, and the Ponies never let the Bears regain the lead for the rest of the game. It will be Stillwater's first trip to the state tournament since 1988.

"I just knew we had to step it up a little bit, and I started knocking down my shots," said Scalia, who led Stillwater with 26 points. Scalia was the first commitment of Lindsay Whalen's when she was named Gophers coach

Jasmine Powell's season ends with loss to Notre Dame Prep.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jasmine Powell and Sara Scalia are looking like very solid gets for Lindsay Whalen.

The Gophers landed a good floor general and an outside shooting threat.

https://hsboxscoresnyc.com/posts/lady-royals-win-city-title
Klarke Sconiers scored a game-high 25 points and Natalija Marshall had 17, as Christ the King held off Monsignor Scanlan 77-72 in the CHSAA AA City Championship Game at St. Raymond High School in the Bronx on Wednesday night.

The Lady Royals held a 35-32 lead at the half, but Scanlan opened the 3rd quarter on a 6-0 run, taking a 38-35 lead on Kateri Poole's driving layup with 4:30 to play in the quarter. Poole scored 10 of her team-high 22 points in the third, but Christ the King came right back, with Sconiers and Marshall combining for 21 of the Lady Royals' 42 second half points. The Lady Crusaders pulled within a point in the final minute, but Christ the King made their free throws down the stretch, with Sconiers (6) and Marshall (4) going a perfect 10 for 10 in the final frame.

Christ the King played without Kaelynn Sattefield, who was sidelined with an injury. Satterfield was recently selected to play in the Jordan Brand Classic.

Looks like Sconiers might be a good FT shooter. 6 of 6 in championship game. Gotta like that.

Top Bottom