BTN: Best of Week 13: (4. Minnesota at wisconsin); Minnesota hates playing wisconsin

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Minnesota hates playing wisconsin. Just hates it. The battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe has been a lopsided affair of late, as the Gophers have gone 2-17 vs. the badgers since 1995. In fact, Minnesota has lost 12 in a row to wisconsin. And the Gophers haven’t won in madison since 1994. Will the drought end when Minnesota travels south down I-94?

Ranking Week 13 games:
1. Michigan at Ohio State
2. Nebraska at Iowa (Nov. 25)
3. Michigan State at Penn State
4. Minnesota at wisconsin
5. Illinois at Northwestern
6. Rutgers at Maryland
7. Purdue at Indiana

http://btn.com/2016/06/15/best-of-week-13-michigan-at-ohio-state-highlights-rivalry-week/

Go Gophers!!

Sigh, probably going to be 13 in a row. Have no idea why they can't figure this one out.

I cannot remember the exact year but it was close to the start of BB's and Brewster's careers as HC and the game was in Madison.
They seemed to have a visceral dislike for each other.
The Gophers so dominated the first half that WI fans booed their team into the locker room.
WI came back and the game was still on the line when the Gopher back misplayed a punt and fumbled deep in MN territory.
I think that was the best chance for a MN win in Madison in that period from 1994.

MSU at PSU a better game than Gophers vs. wisconsin?

No.

And, nice job, bleed at editing the spelling of wisconsin.

If we beat them on their home turf spousal abuse will be up two fold. They don't call it "Madtown" for nothing.

It's become a self fulfilling prophecy. More creative play calling on O should help.

I think the prior OC was not completely at fault in his conservative play calling.
Kill called the shots.
I remember the playbook got larger when Kill went down and Claeys took over with the same OC.

Well this is the best Gophers team Kill/Claeys has had. This is also the worst Wisconsin team since Kill/Clayes were hired. This will be the year, hopefully.

I cannot remember the exact year but it was close to the start of BB's and Brewster's careers as HC and the game was in Madison.
The Gophers so dominated the first half that WI fans booed their team into the locker room.
WI came back and the game was still on the line when the Gopher back misplayed a punt and fumbled deep in MN territory.
I think that was the best chance for a MN win in Madison in that period from 1994.

Up 21-7 with the ball, two timeouts and 2:05 to play in the first half.....Brew ran out the clock. Weber was 6-6 for 112 yds and 3 tds (2 rush) in the 2Q

Well this is the best Gophers team Kill/Claeys has had. This is also the worst Wisconsin team since Kill/Clayes were hired. This will be the year, hopefully.

This is far from the worst Badgers team since Kill and Clayes were hired. Though the bar is set pretty high.

Obviously nobody knows or can know how good the Badgers ( or Gophers) will be this season with the personnel turnover and the big change at coordinator.

That said, what team was the worst, in your estimation?

2014 was pretty dang close. We got down to Wisconsin 5 yard line but a stupid "hands to the face" penalty took it back and we had to settle fora field goal. That would have made it 21-3 but instead we settled for a FG and it was 17-3. Then they had a long reception but there should have been a delay of game called. Then to end the second quarter Cobb and Leidner had a miscommunication which resulted in a fumble.

We were so close but a couple of dumb mistakes led to the loss. Hopefully this year is the year we finally end the streak.

This year like most years may depend on injuries.
MN has a proven QB, WI does not. MN has promising RB , WI has a game breaker.
WI probably has the edge in the OL, MN at safties.
But then that is why they play the game.

2014 was pretty dang close. We got down to Wisconsin 5 yard line but a stupid "hands to the face" penalty took it back and we had to settle fora field goal. That would have made it 21-3 but instead we settled for a FG and it was 17-3. Then they had a long reception but there should have been a delay of game called. Then to end the second quarter Cobb and Leidner had a miscommunication which resulted in a fumble.

We were so close but a couple of dumb mistakes led to the loss. Hopefully this year is the year we finally end the streak.

That long pass play with broken coverage was a game changer. It was 3rd and long and we had all the momentum.

Yep. Eleven guys on the field and everyone has to know their job, communicate, and execute. Every year seems like opposing team homers come here and talk about how much better they'll be despite losing important cogs in the machine. Truth is, until the rubber hits the road in and people are made to think fast in real games it's hard to say for sure.

Don't we say this every year? I'd still take the 2014 team over this one going into the year. Vegas thinks we'll win 6 games with a cake walk schedule so I hope you're right and they're wrong.

I was excited about 2015 as well and I think it took the wind out of my sails a bit watching us play MAC-caliber football early on. I'm trying to go in with a bit more cautious optimism this time :-/

per BTN:

Minnesota hates playing wisconsin. Just hates it. The battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe has been a lopsided affair of late, as the Gophers have gone 2-17 vs. the badgers since 1995. In fact, Minnesota has lost 12 in a row to wisconsin. And the Gophers haven’t won in madison since 1994. Will the drought end when Minnesota travels south down I-94?

Ranking Week 13 games:
1. Michigan at Ohio State
2. Nebraska at Iowa (Nov. 25)
3. Michigan State at Penn State
4. Minnesota at wisconsin
5. Illinois at Northwestern
6. Rutgers at Maryland
7. Purdue at Indiana

http://btn.com/2016/06/15/best-of-week-13-michigan-at-ohio-state-highlights-rivalry-week/

Go Gophers!!

"Minnesota Hates Wisconsin" Fixed it for them!

I thought the 17-3 lead we blew two years ago was pretty rough. We took our foot off the gas at the end of the first half, basically dropped back, and allowed Wisconsin to move uncontested into field goal range to end the half.

This is far from the worst Badgers team since Kill and Clayes were hired. Though the bar is set pretty high.

Who was worse? Last year's Badgers? Yet they lost a number of good seniors. Is Bart Houston going to be a good QB? He couldn't beat out Stave so I doubt it.

I'll bet Wisconsin doesn't make a bowl game this year.

Sigh, probably going to be 13 in a row. Have no idea why they can't figure this one out.

It certainly doesn't help that Wisconsin has been a rock of consistency, in both football and basketball. They haven't had a non-winning season since going 5-7 in 2001. I don't think that's true of any other program in the conference. Even Ohio State had that 6-7 year in 2011. So we haven't had that golden opportunity of getting to run all over some downtrodden 3-9 team with nothing to play for. Plus it seems that they're at least a little bit better than us every single year. Our best teams over the last 12 years are certainly better than their worst, but when we're decent, they're great. When they're just okay, we're awful. And when we're evenly matched, they make a couple more plays or catch a couple breaks and edge us out, like with the hands to the face penalty and missed delay of game in 2014. In 2008 I think it was, we were on the 5 or 10 yard line about to score, and we got called for a chop block, settled for a field goal and eventually lost the game by 3. Not to mention I think that 2014 game was Kill's only loss with a halftime lead in his time at Minnesota.

Don't we say this every year? I'd still take the 2014 team over this one going into the year. Vegas thinks we'll win 6 games with a cake walk schedule so I hope you're right and they're wrong.

I was excited about 2015 as well and I think it took the wind out of my sails a bit watching us play MAC-caliber football early on. I'm trying to go in with a bit more cautious optimism this time :-/

I think the 2014 team was expected by Vegas to win 5 games, but I'm not positive. We had 10:1 odds to win the division, and we ended up with a halftime lead in the game that would decide it.

Who was worse? Last year's Badgers? Yet they lost a number of good seniors. Is Bart Houston going to be a good QB? He couldn't beat out Stave so I doubt it.

I'll bet Wisconsin doesn't make a bowl game this year.

Assuming they beat Akron, Georgia St, Illinois, and Purdue, they only have to go 2-6 in their other 8 games to be bowl eligible. Worst case is they lose all four to LSU, Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St. Then just need to go 2-2 against Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Northwestern.

Their schedule is very tough but they've been so consistent. You may be right but I'll believe it when I see it.

Obviously nobody knows or can know how good the Badgers ( or Gophers) will be this season with the personnel turnover and the big change at coordinator.

That said, what team was the worst, in your estimation?

Probably the team that went to the Rose Bowl because of the ineligibility of OSU and Penn State. Though that team lost some very tough games.

The Badgers have a ton of talent returning and will be much better than people on this board think. Though that has been the case for the last 20 years or so. While the schedule is tough, there is not a game on it they can't win. Front 7 will keep the team in most games and the offensive line has been rebuilt to the Badgers standard.

Fair enough. Most fans and analysts make assumptions based on recent history, coach status, etc. we do it too, assuming Mitch will be better, Jay Johnson will be an upgrade, that the coaches are right about the secondary being talented and deep. It's also true these are more reasonable assumptions than truth.

Your team has had an extraordinary run, and been the beneficiary of some interesting scheduling and the aforementioned Rosé Bowl season. I'm interested to see what goes on with the defense. Aranda was brilliant, a good teacher and he got called up to the bigs. His replacement was a disaster at USC and really struggled to make in-game adjustments. X's and O's were lacking. Or was it teaching-difficult to say. OTOH he had a nice run at Boise. So the jury is out.

The streak is annoying, and at this point does not in any way reflect the differences in the teams. Last two years we've had the better team, in my opinion, and with any normal amount of luck we'd be riding a 2 game winning streak. Not to mention at least two of the other games during the streak were just ridiculous (the blocked punt game, and the one mentioned earlier in this thread).

This streak and the 7 game bowl losing streak (at least 5 of which we should have won) both just got to the point where it's largely become a mental obstacle symbolic of the recent history of this program. Thank god one ended last year, now have to end the other one.

I looked at S&P+ defensive rankings since 2007 and Boise kept cruising after Wilcox left, Tennessee regressed significantly during his time there, and USC trended down during his three seasons.

Sometimes what works at a lower level like the WAC doesn't translate to the SEC or PAC-12 for whatever reason. Limegrover had a difficult time (or was it Kill) translating their offense to the power 5 level. Id be concerned if I were a Badger fan, after watching USC during his tenure. Maybe it was just bad timing, key roster losses (but the replacements are always better right?) or just plain bad luck. But it's not a good trend.

It is hard to fathom why the Gophers had a better team last year when a very injured, inexperienced WI OL and WI with two rookie running backs were able to dominate the offensive game.
I do not remember the MN offense showing that much either. And the game was played at the Bank.
The year before that I cannot even remember the score.

The streak is annoying, and at this point does not in any way reflect the differences in the teams. Last two years we've had the better team, in my opinion, and with any normal amount of luck we'd be riding a 2 game winning streak. Not to mention at least two of the other games during the streak were just ridiculous (the blocked punt game, and the one mentioned earlier in this thread).

This streak and the 7 game bowl losing streak (at least 5 of which we should have won) both just got to the point where it's largely become a mental obstacle symbolic of the recent history of this program. Thank god one ended last year, now have to end the other one.

We must be watching different games and programs.

Top Bottom