All Things Isaiah Whitehead Thread UPDATED 9/18: Whitehead to Seton Hall

Hard to tell if this is good or great news. Anytime you can get a kid like Whitehead on campus it is a good thing, but when it's this late in the game you'd think it would be an official.

It is very good news. Means that he has actual interest in the Gophers. We could still receive an official from him.

Zach Brazzile knows a lot about the New York area says he thinks Whitehead comes To Mn

More from Zach Brazzile:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Was told in-homes with Minnesota and Pitt went very well, about two hours each, with Whitehead. Indiana expected next week in Coney Island</p>— Zach Braziller (@NYPost_Brazille) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/statuses/377990537472528384">September 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Also, Isaiah Whitehead will visit Minnesota next weekend, after Seton Hall this weekend, and Indiana is expected for an in-home next week.</p>— Zach Braziller (@NYPost_Brazille) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/statuses/378162647272673281">September 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

Question for GW or any other NCAA rules aficionado's. I feel like I read at some point (or I could be mixing this up) that recruits need to have sufficient academic standing to be able to take official visits. Is that the case? Thanks.

Go Gophers!!

Question for GW or any other NCAA rules aficionado's. I feel like I read at some point (or I could be mixing this up) that recruits need to have sufficient academic standing to be able to take official visits. Is that the case? Thanks.

Go Gophers!!

That sound you hear is a can o worms being opened :)

With regard to what the NCAA requires (institutions could have unique policies as long as they don't disregard the NCAA's requirements)...for men's basketball and high school recruits:

- official visit can't occur prior to January 1 of the recruit's junior year of high school;
- recruit's transcript must be obtained;
- recruit must have taken the SAT, ACT or one of the "pre" tests (i.e., PSAT, PLAN) on a national testing date (or ACT given by their state);
- school must put the recruit on their IRL with the Eligibility Center (not injured reserve... it's an institution's recruit list); and
- recruit must have registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center.

Really nothing to registering with the Eligibility Center. Easy. The key is just that the school needs your transcripts and they need a test score.

For JUCO's.. if you're a nonqualifier... you must finish your first year before you can visit.

With regard to what the NCAA requires (institutions could have unique policies as long as they don't disregard the NCAA's requirements)...for men's basketball and high school recruits:

- official visit can't occur prior to January 1 of the recruit's junior year of high school;
- recruit's transcript must be obtained;
- recruit must have taken the SAT, ACT or one of the "pre" tests (i.e., PSAT, PLAN) on a national testing date (or ACT given by their state);
- school must put the recruit on their IRL with the Eligibility Center (not injured reserve... it's an institution's recruit list); and
- recruit must have registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center.

Really nothing to registering with the Eligibility Center. Easy. The key is just that the school needs your transcripts and they need a test score.

For JUCO's.. if you're a nonqualifier... you must finish your first year before you can visit.

I handled this stuff for NIU when I interned there, but I couldn't remember the exact requirements. This all seems to jive with what I remember. It isn't really all that hard to qualify for an official. Though if a kid's academics aren't even close to qualifying they probably won't want to waste their time.

Apparently he still plans on waiting until November. This was in response to a question about his decision. The roller coaster has just begun...

Isaiah Whitehead (@Isaiah_W15) tweeted at 7:27 PM on Wed, Sep 11, 2013:mad:brettraich you will see in November

Sounds like Whitehead's academics are fine:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/MNGophers32">@MNGophers32</a> His academics are fine. They will be taking officials shortly.</p>— Zach Braziller (@NYPost_Brazille) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/statuses/378262644513189889">September 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

Not sure what this means considering he is already scheduled for an unofficial visit that weekend...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> find out tomorrow if they can get a Sept. 20 official visit for 5-star guard Isaiah Whitehead. Would be huge to get him on campus.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/378356768490786817">September 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

Not sure what this means considering he is already scheduled for an unofficial visit that weekend...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> find out tomorrow if they can get a Sept. 20 official visit for 5-star guard Isaiah Whitehead. Would be huge to get him on campus.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/378356768490786817">September 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

Weird. Maybe Pitino was trying to get him to change it to an official?

Ok, now that's just getting ridiculous. Why doesn't everyone just change their crystal ball to whomever he is visiting. Bound to get it right. I'm surprised these people aren't "100%" accurate with a crystal ball that changes everyday.

Ok, now that's just getting ridiculous. Why doesn't everyone just change their crystal ball to whomever he is visiting.

That's pretty much exactly what most of these guys do anyway.

Ok, now that's just getting ridiculous. Why doesn't everyone just change their crystal ball to whomever he is visiting. Bound to get it right. I'm surprised these people aren't "100%" accurate with a crystal ball that changes everyday.

Honestly I think Whitehead himself is fueling a lot of it. He seems to really like the fact that nobody knows where he's going.

Any news?

Not that I've seen/heard, but if he is truly considering committing to Seton Hall this weekend, he might be holding off on committing to a visit anywhere else.

Yeah, probably not good news we haven't heard anything.

When did Seton Hall become a serious player in Whitehead's recruitment? For the longest time it seemed like it was kinda between us and Syracuse, then James Blackmon decomitted from Indiana and they got in on it, Syracuse seems to have pretty much dropped out of it, although one crystal ball prediction a few days ago had him going to Syracuse, which seemed odd to me. Just seems like Seton Hall, which I don't believe is really a power program, came in out of nowhere and is a serious threat, is it just because it's "the home school?"

When did Seton Hall become a serious player in Whitehead's recruitment? For the longest time it seemed like it was kinda between us and Syracuse, then James Blackmon decomitted from Indiana and they got in on it, Syracuse seems to have pretty much dropped out of it, although one crystal ball prediction a few days ago had him going to Syracuse, which seemed odd to me. Just seems like Seton Hall, which I don't believe is really a power program, came in out of nowhere and is a serious threat, is it just because it's "the home school?"

I think so. From what I've read it seems like him and/or his mom wants him to stay close to home. Before they were allegedly open to going somewhat far away as long as there was someone on staff or on the team that they were close with, which is why we have been perceived to be the favorite (close with Kimani Young). If he ends up committing to Seton hall, then I'm guessing either he and/or his mom have decided they don't want to go far away after all, or Seton Hall has just done a good job of recruiting him.

Honestly I think Whitehead himself is fueling a lot of it. He seems to really like the fact that nobody knows where he's going.

Yup...Whitehead genuinely doesn't know where he's going and has several/no major favorites.

Also, while IW has been hyping this Seton Hall visit, I still believe that the three major players in his recruitment are Indiana, Minnesota, and UCLA. Maybe Seton Hall is now the fourth?

Yup...Whitehead genuinely doesn't know where he's going and has several/no major favorites.

Also, while IW has been hyping this Seton Hall visit, I still believe that the three major players in his recruitment are Indiana, Minnesota, and UCLA. Maybe Seton Hall is now the fourth?

I think Louisville might pick up some steam after the decommit from Lyle. Word is part of the reason he decommitted is because he was upset that they were continuing to recruit Whitehead. My hunch is that Minnesota, Louisville, and Seton Hall (no order) are the favorites. Who knows though.

@Isaiah_W15: Will Be Taking An Unofficial To St.Johns University This Week

This was as of this morning...it also appears he just stopped by Seton Hall on Saturday, vs a weekend visit. Really seems like the close to home theme is at play.. we just need to get him on campus to show him what we have to offer..

I think Louisville might pick up some steam after the decommit from Lyle. Word is part of the reason he decommitted is because he was upset that they were continuing to recruit Whitehead. My hunch is that Minnesota, Louisville, and Seton Hall (no order) are the favorites. Who knows though.

I don't know much about Lyle but wasn't he a PG? Was he more of a combo guard? I would think a PG would want a good SG on his team to dish it to. But again, I don't know anything on Lyle soooooooooooooo yea.

Looks like Whitehead set to annouce Thursday. Fingers crossed it is MN!!!!

“@AdamZagoria: .@Isaiah_W15 will announce his college choice Thursday at 2:30, per the school AD”

Looks like Whitehead set to annouce Thursday. Fingers crossed it is MN!!!!

“@AdamZagoria: .@Isaiah_W15 will announce his college choice Thursday at 2:30, per the school AD”

He didn't even visit. Our chances are slim to none. He just visited both local schools, I'm guessing he'll pick one of them.

Top Bottom