The greatest Gopher you may not have heard of

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I posted on this a few years ago but the other current thread about listing favorite Gophers inspired me to do it again. As people have been listing their favorite Gophers, most have cited recent Gophers but a few people have mentioned some of the usual suspects from bygone eras. One guy that seems to fall off the radar way more than he should is LEO NOMELLINI. I'm not surprised to see he hasn't been mentioned in that thread.

He wasn't ancient history and he is not among recent fan favorites. He played in the not-too-distant past. But, in terms of accomplishments - he should flat out be on the ring of fame in TCF Bank Stadium as his exploits for Gopher football match or even surpass the names that are there now.

He is sadly overlooked. I'm not sure why. I don't think he has many (or any?) living relatives so he will probably never get that honor (name added to stadium ring of fame) in a halftime ceremony where the AD hands a plaque to a current relative. I guess being named to all-time NFL team, NFL HOF, college football HOF, and 2 all america honors will have to do.

Last edited:

I posted on this a few years ago but the other current thread about listing favorite Gophers inspired me to do it again. As people have been listing their favorite Gophers, most have cited recent Gophers but a few people have mentioned some of the usual suspects from bygone eras. One guy that seems to fall off the radar way more than he should is LEO NOMELLINI. I'm not surprised to see he hasn't been mentioned in that thread.

He wasn't ancient history and he is not among recent fan favorites. He played in the not-too-distant past. But, in terms of accomplishments - he should flat out be on the ring of fame in TCF Bank Stadium as his exploits for Gopher football match or even surpass the names that are there now.

He is sadly overlooked. I'm not sure why. I don't think he has many (or any?) living relatives so he will probably never get that honor (name added to stadium ring of fame) in a halftime ceremony where the AD hands a plaque to a current relative. I guess being named to all-time NFL team, NFL HOF, college football HOF, and 2 all america honors will have to do.

Agree, but like Bronko Nagurski, I've seen little film of him. I really had a tough time cutting the list. I was going to add Charlie Saunders to mine. Bruce Smith could have been easy to add as well.

Others that I really enjoyed watching play Peter Najarian, Steve Midboe (sp?) Parc Williams. Justin Isom (he looked like he was 5'4" out there but played like he was 6'2". Tyrone Carter is one I flat out missed. One of the best if not the best to play strong safety for the Maroon and Gold.

Yeah the 49ers retired his number and put him in their HOF. Barely had heard of him as a Gopher, but sounds like he was pretty legit when he wore the Maroon and Gold too.

It's lineman unawareness.

Yeah the 49ers retired his number and put him in their HOF. Barely had heard of him as a Gopher, but sounds like he was pretty legit when he wore the Maroon and Gold too.

It's lineman unawareness.

Fahnhorst was also a 49'er and a Gopher. https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-OT-Keith-Fahnhorst-dies-at-66-12996172

Here is one name that hardly gets discussed. Gil Dobie. Hastings has given the Gophers some great ones (Think McNamara's). Gil might be tops for what he did in the coaching ranks. 61 games at Washington without a loss.

"Dobie was at Washington 1908-16 and never lost a game. His nine year record was 58-0-3 and included a 39-game winning streak."

https://footballfoundation.org/hof_search.aspx?hof=1293

.php

Need to add that he was a pro wrestler as well. The Lion was his ring nickname.

Milt Sunde and Carl Eller.

Imagine, 170+ straight NFL starts plus making All-Pro as both an offensive and defensive tackle.

Need to add that he was a pro wrestler as well. The Lion was his ring nickname.

It also happened to be the nickname his Gopher teammates gave him as well.
One of few NFL players to be honored as an All-Pro as an Offensive player and Defensive player.

Last edited:

Jack Leius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francis "Pug" Lund. Two-time All American halfback/QB/punter/whatever in 1933 and 1934 (Natty Champs). CFB HOF 1958. Was the leading Gopher rusher for a long time. Cut off his finger after a breaking it in a game and learned to run, catch, throw with 4 fingers :eek:

Hails from one of my hometowns growing up, Rice Lake, WI, where the high school stadium is named after him.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/6/8/15759560/minnesota-football-francis-pug-lund-tbt

The 40's was the not so distant past? That was like 80 years ago. I'm guessing none of us around this board were even close to being born.

The 40's was the not so distant past? That was like 80 years ago. I'm guessing none of us around this board were even close to being born.

1949 is not the so distant past. I’m a history major and I can assure you of that. And you apparently flunked math too. Good luck to you.

Bronco Nagurski’s Gopher career WAS in the distant past and he had one less all-American honor. Should he be removed from the stadium ring?

Last edited:

I gotta go with Bill Daley, who is the only player to be an All-American for both the Gophers and Michigan and was 4-0 in Jug games, 2-0 with each team.

Go Gophers!!

Karl Mecklenburg
6x Pro Bowler
4x First Team All Pro
Bronco's Ring of Fame
+1

Karl was a transfer walk-on that ended up starting and played multiple different defensive front positions, sometimes in the same game.

Karl was a Gopher when I was going to the U and I hung out with him a few times in the dorm. He was a really great guy.

Gopherhole has an nice article on Karl.

https://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/93449

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

+1

Karl was a transfer walk-on that ended up starting and played multiple different defensive front positions, sometimes in the same game.

Karl was a Gopher when I was going to the U and I hung out with him a few times in the dorm. He was a really great guy.

Gopherhole has an nice article on Karl.

https://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/93449

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Haha he was the guy for us 80s and 90s kids we could point at during some bleak Gopher times and say "Hey, we've got at least one star in the league"

Mine is Gil Fash.

Love that one! You must be referring to the 1973 Illinois game. He had one of the all-time worst games by a Gopher qb, but managed to make one big play when Minnesota had to have it.

I had to do some digging to recover some amazing stats from that game. The Gophers are outgained, 460 yards to 83, and get just 4 first downs. Fash hits 2 of 12 passes for 50 yards with 4 picks. Illinois loses 6 fumbles to cancel their yardage edge and the Gophers also scored by returning a blocked field goal to the house. Larry Powell has a short touchdown run, a guy who could have been a great back if not for a peculiar illness.

So many great names! I am going with Billy Bye. 1946 team MVP as a freshman and leading rusher on the 1949 team that Bierman said was his best team but the one for which he did the worst coaching job. It had SIX first round draftees!( among whom were Nomellini, Tonnemaker, Wayne Robinson & Gordon Soltau) Thanks to everyone for contributing so many gems.

Keewatin's own Geno Cappelletti. Was the team's placekicker and backed up Paul Giel for most of his Gopher career, but was starting QB for the 1954 7-2 team. Bounced around Canadian Football for a bit before becoming a star WR/K for the Boston Patriots in the pre-merger AFL. Never saw him play in college, but I remember him well (and have a couple of his football cards) from his time with Boston.

Schnauzer neglected to mention that Leo Nomellini was Verne Gagne's tag team partner during the NFL off-season.

Last edited:

Top Bottom