Early Look At 2016-17 B1G Non-Conference Schedules

Selection, any data on the exempt event? When, where, who else besides Arkansas? Just seems really late to not have that information out in reasonably official capacity.

Nothing,

Pitino's staff seems much more tight-lipped about allowing scheduling info for public consumption than the Tubby/Esposito regime was. Unlike in past years, it's nearly impossible to dig up scheduling nuggets unless you follow Jon Rothstein on Twitter. That's giving me pause for concern.

Yes, we have the Arkansas home game (which I applaud), but that and the ACC Challenge game is all that was confirmed before season ticket renewals were due. If we're not playing in Las Vegas, who will we replace 2 of Alabama/BYU/Valpo with other than Arkansas? Wouldn't be a stretch to say it'll be 3 soft pastries at Williams Arena. Hope that's not the case.

Holy Man, a little more on scheduing history under Pitino

Since Pitino took over, the Gophers have played these opponents as part of of an exempt tournament/event, home-and-home series, or on a neutral court. As you know these games provide most of the "meat" of a non-conference schedule.

At minimum the plan should be 4-5 of these better be good opponents (read: RPI top 100) that help your strength of schedule and provide quality-win opportunities. Then if you're lucky you hope 1 or maybe 2 of your guarantee opponents turn out to be decent wins (i.e. automatic qualifiers/top 150-ish) like South Dakota State or North Dakota State have been for the Gophers in recent years.

2013-14 (6)
vs. #16 Syracuse (Maui Invitational)
#54 Florida State (ACC Challenge)
@ #75 Richmond
vs. #77 Arkansas (Maui Invitational)
#196 Coastal Carolina (Maui on Mainland)
vs. non-Division I Chaminade (Maui Invitational)

2014-15 (6)
vs. #21 Louisville
vs. #38 Georgia (NIT Season Tip-Off)
@ #44 Saint John's (NIT Season Tip-Off)
#117 Western Kentucky (NIT Season Tip-Off)
@ #150 Wake Forest (ACC Challenge)
non-Division I Franklin Pierce (NIT Season Tip-Off)

2015-16 (5)
vs. #36 Texas Tech (Puerto Rico Tip-Off)
vs. #59 Temple (Puerto Rico Tip-Off)
#131 Clemson (ACC Challenge)
vs. #172 Oklahoma State
vs. #235 Missouri State (Puerto Rico Tip-Off)

So far this year we have:

2016-17 (3)
Saint John's (Gavitt Tipoff)
@ Florida State (ACC Challenge)
Arkansas (reportedly part of Multi-Team Event)

Oklahoma @ Wisconsin

Date is Dec. 3, per Oklahoma non-conference schedule release.

Morgan State will play a pair of B1G teams.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Iowa home opponents for Emerald Coast Classic

Gophers vs. Vanderbilt in Sioux Falls

The Emerald Coast Classic released their full schedule. Iowa will play Savannah State on Nov. 13 and Rio Grande Valley on Nov. 20.

It sounds like Detroit will be one of the home games for Illinois as part of the NIT Season Tip-Off. It's interesting because earlier Detroit was slated to play in the Las Vegas Classic, but they must have pulled out of it. Can't say I blame them because instead of playing teams like DePaul or Missouri State they will end up likely playing Illinois and Florida State.

Also, Nebraska will host Sacramento State on Nov. 13.

http://www.detroittitanhoops.com/ph...sid=d75687f0825eb48ee1396be62fdecb12&start=10

http://www.bigskyfans.com/hornets/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2555

Updated above.

Interesting that we've only heard about one of the Gophers' guarantee opponents to this point.

Vandy game will be Dec. 3

Now Official: Gophers Not In Vegas Tournament

According to the Cancun Challenge website, NJIT is the final visiting team, meaning that this is why Purdue is playing them. This still leaves them with one opening on the schedule outside of the second Cancun Challenge home game.

Maui on Mainland teams known

Safe assumption that Wisconsin will host Army, Tennessee State, or Wagner before heading to Maui.

The 4th Mainland team, Chattanooga, has already announced its first two Mainland games are @ Tennessee and @ North Carolina.

Hodge Podge of Teams I Wouldn't Mind on Gophers Schedule

Am assuming Pitino is done with the heavy lifting (Arkansas, @ Florida State, Saint John's, vs. Vandy) on the Gophers schedule. Perhaps he'll add one more? Here's a hodge podge of non-Power 6 teams I wouldn't mind seeing help fill up what's left of the Gophers slate. An * denotes a 2nd home-and-home (Arkansas already announced) if Pitino wanted to go that route, probably starting on the road.

Belmont
*BYU
Columbia (CIT champ)
*George Washington (NIT champ)
Hofstra
Holy Cross
Iona
*La Salle
Nevada (CBI champ)
*Northern Iowa
Old Dominion (Vegas 16 champ)
*Saint Mary's
Valpo
Weber State

Decent teams/programs not yet committed to an exempt event/tournament

A possible opponent or two for the Gophers' 4-game multi-team event (MTE)?

Arkansas (home & home confirmed but not confirmed Hogs are part of the MTE)
Belmont
Fresno State
La Salle
Long Beach State
Louisiana Tech
Murray State
New Mexico State
North Dakota State
Oregon State
Saint Mary's
Toledo
UCSB
William & Mary

A possible opponent or two for the Gophers' 4-game multi-team event (MTE)?

Arkansas (home & home confirmed but not confirmed Hogs are part of the MTE)
Belmont
Fresno State
La Salle
Long Beach State
Louisiana Tech
Murray State
New Mexico State
North Dakota State
Oregon State
Saint Mary's
Toledo
UCSB
William & Mary

Pretty sure that Long Beach State is a part of the Battle 4 Atlantis as a mainland team. From reading online they have already scheduled Louisville and Wichita State (who are both in B4A) as road games.

Pretty sure that Long Beach State is a part of the Battle 4 Atlantis as a mainland team. From reading online they have already scheduled Louisville and Wichita State (who are both in B4A) as road games.

Thanks for the heads-up. Sounds like Monson once again will have a loaded non-conference schedule.

Any word on who the Spartans are getting for their mainland opponent?

Wish Monson would bring his team to the Barn. I for one appreciate his time at the U, just for cleaning up the program

Thanks for the heads-up. Sounds like Monson once again will have a loaded non-conference schedule.

Any word on who the Spartans are getting for their mainland opponent?

Nothing yet.....All that I have heard of so far is already mentioned here.

Last year Gophers' non-conference schedule wasn't released until. ...

August 31.

Look for a mid- to late July release this year.

Maryland releases non-conference schedule

Maryland schedule numbers

Never understand why any B1G program would willingly schedule a non-Division I opponent. The Terps have one on their schedule. It's basically another exhibition game because those games don't count on your record for the Selection Committee.

Iowa schedule numbers

Yes, a few cupcakes, but hard not to like this schedule Franny put together. 5 NCAA qualifiers includes Seton Hall and Iowa State coming to Iowa City, neutral-siter vs. Virginia, and a roadie @ Notre Dame.

Top Bottom