Gophers receive commitment from 2019 guard Bryan Greenlee

per Marcus:

Gophers add point guard depth with three-star Florida senior Bryan Greenlee

Looking to add point guard depth for next season, the Gophers landed a commitment Thursday night from three-star 2019 Florida point guard Bryan "BJ" Greenlee.

Greenlee, a 6-foot senior from the Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., had one other Power Five scholarship offer from Iowa last summer, but he also visited Cincinnati and considered Old Dominion.

Greenlee was named the Gainesville Sun's Co-Player of the Year for small schools in Florida after leading the Rock to its second Sunshine Independent Athletic Association state title. He averaged 13.7 points, 7.3 assists, 4.2 rebounds and 2.5 steals last season.

“He’s had a great high school career,” The Rock coach Justin Harden said. “Minnesota is getting a kid who is going to be really tough. He looks the part. He’s 6-feet and 185-190 pounds. He looks like a defensive back. He plays the game the right way. He’s a student of the game and really balanced player. He’ll provide consistency and leadership.”

Greenlee started on the varsity for three seasons and helped his team win 134 games. As a sophomore, he played alongside current Penn State starting guard Jamari Wheeler, who was one of the best defenders for the Nittany Lions last season. That’s also a strength for Greenlee.

“He’s a phenomenal on-ball defender, picking up guys 94 feet,” Harden said. “That was one of the main things with coach (Richard) Pitino that we talked about is just him being able to come off the bench the first year and just being able to use his athleticism to cause havoc and being a spark on the defensive end.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...star-florida-senior-bryan-greenlee/511273412/

Go Gophers!!

Not great scoring numbers.....but the assists and steals look good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is just depressing to read. I am very familiar with the Iowa State program. If you don't think being the only University in Minnesota and having the access to the talent in the Twin Cities is a major advantage over being located in Ames, Iowa or Corvallis, Oregon or being a private school with (at least at one time) tough academic standards like Vandy, I don't know what to tell you. Iowa State has never even gotten the best players out of Iowa's extremely limited talent pool and has still put a much better product on the floor than Minnesota. If you want to live the "pipe dream" that these schools are on the same footing as Minnesota , that would be like me expecting the Gopher program to be Kentucky or Kansas. I know you are an old dude, so I know you remember when Minnesota was a consistently better program than Wisconsin. I guess it's just ok to you to set the bar at Oregon State now. Noted.

EG- I get your pessimism and there is good reason considering our history. However, Minnesota, whether it has been Pitino or Tubby or Monson or even Clem the gem, has struggled to get quantities of highly ranked kids in here. It has been a combination of things that include weather, lack of a winning history, sanctions and negative publicity and coaches on the hot seat. The locals have not grown up seeing a winning program here and they see the negative attitude towards the program - so they often go where it is cooler to go, if they can. Pitino is recruiting hard IMO but it will be an uphill battle for him or anyone else until we start winning more regularly.

I really like what he has done this offseason as he has been able to bring in a combination of guys who are a notch up as shooters, have good length and a reputation as hard workers who will play defense. Maybe he is putting together a TEAM here instead of a group of star ratings. Granted, I would be pumped if he was bringing in 5 guys who are all 4 and 5 star guys, but that's just not going to happen here for a while under ANY coach. Pitino or some coach is going to have to put together a string of successful teams that includes pulling some guys out of the weeds that nobody expected to be a high major kid. I have a feeling that Ihnen might be a huge sleeper and perhaps Freeman as well. Perhaps this kid Greenlee is the type of glue guy that you build a team attitude with.

Unlike you, I am really excited to see what type of team Pitino has assembled here. Many times I have referred back to the Hagan, Grier, Lawson, Arob and Coleman squad. That squad had nothing for 4 stars save for perhaps Coleman, yet they put together a TEAM that had more Big Ten wins than any Gopher team in the past 15 years. The guys were have coming in this fall have far more ability as a group than that squad did. The question is more how they play together as a group.

Tyson Etienne is actually rated higher in both 247's own rankings and the composite ranking than Marcus Carr was coming out of high school. Etienne is in the same class as Sherfield. If that wasn't enough to scare Grant off of Wichita State, then Carr certainly wasn't scaring him off of Minnesota. I hope Marcus Carr is as good as some posters hope he is. I would guess that at least 2/3 of high major programs have a guard with a recruiting profile as strong as Carr's on the roster. Most of those guys have actually played for the school they are currently attending as well. Adams-Woods chose to go to Cincy who is bringing in a transfer that not only put up better stats than Carr, but is related to arguably the best player on their roster. I just don't buy that Marcus Carr is such a deterrent to guard recruits that we had to call up a guy and offer him in June.

Even if you believe that Carr is what has prevented more successful recruiting, it doesn't explain how the Gophers failed in the 2018 class to add a guard. They missed on even more guards in that class than they did in this one before taking Carr as a transfer in the Spring. Also to compare and contrast Iowa State has Tyrese Haliburton coming back at PG (hindsight Gophers should have taken him instead of waiting on Eric Hunter who they ended up missing on, but that's not a criticism as you have to go for your top guys first). Haliburton was impressive enough as a Freshman to get some NBA buzz and an invite to a USA tryout. Despite the presence of Haliburton, Iowa State was able to get a commitment this Spring from Caleb Grill (169 overall, offers from K State, UNLV, Texas Tech and others).

N
one of this is to say Greenlee can't surprise, its to say the Pitino's recruiting has been a disappointment and has put the program in a precarious position. We shouldn't be talking about "rebuilding" after a year like last year. We should be able to absorb losing a top player who stayed for 3 years as most programs experience such a departure regularly. If this was just one commit, it would be slightly disappointing but when you look at the roster as a whole there are just way too many question marks in terms of talent. For a coach going in to his 7th year with brand new facilities, we should be seeing better results. Hopefully that is the case both on the court and on the recruiting trail over the next 8-10 months.

You also saw Boogie Ellis decommit when Tre came back. Each situation is different and each kid has different values. In most cases though playing time is extremely important to kids and is a large factor in their recruiting. Rankings are just that, they don't mean everything if you develop players. This current staff is recruiting different types of guys that Ben and Kimani and I'm excited to see how that pans out. Jeter's touches will help this group.

Facts are this team is going to be completely different than last years team. Our offensive system will be completely different as well. Defensively we get a little shorter it looks like as well and we may play more pack line d. This fits a lot of our guys. What we do know is our outside shooting will be better. Our rebounding may be worse, but when you lose Jordan Murphy that happens. The other things are relatively unknown at this point.

You also saw Boogie Ellis decommit when Tre came back. Each situation is different and each kid has different values. In most cases though playing time is extremely important to kids and is a large factor in their recruiting. Rankings are just that, they don't mean everything if you develop players. This current staff is recruiting different types of guys that Ben and Kimani and I'm excited to see how that pans out. Jeter's touches will help this group.

Facts are this team is going to be completely different than last years team. Our offensive system will be completely different as well. Defensively we get a little shorter it looks like as well and we may play more pack line d. This fits a lot of our guys. What we do know is our outside shooting will be better. Our rebounding may be worse, but when you lose Jordan Murphy that happens. The other things are relatively unknown at this point.

Boogie de-commited because Cassius Stanley signed. Not because Tre decided to come back. Tre was always going back to school.

We can agree to disagree on why he decommited, but here's my source. Still doesn't change my original point.

https://thespun.com/acc/duke-blue-devils/four-star-boogie-ellis-reveals-why-he-decommitted-from-duke

Neither one of us really know why so agree to disagree is fair. I just know that Tre never planned on being a one and done, and don't think it is a coincidence that Boogie de-committed within 2 weeks of Stanley signing.

Generally agree with your original point.

Last edited:

Agree. I think this year will be a transitional year as Pitino settles into the style that the U will be playing for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. I think this year will be a transitional year as Pitino settles into the style that the U will be playing for years to come.

Awesome ! So we are going to finally play Pack Line !

EG- I get your pessimism and there is good reason considering our history. However, Minnesota, whether it has been Pitino or Tubby or Monson or even Clem the gem, has struggled to get quantities of highly ranked kids in here. It has been a combination of things that include weather, lack of a winning history, sanctions and negative publicity and coaches on the hot seat. The locals have not grown up seeing a winning program here and they see the negative attitude towards the program - so they often go where it is cooler to go, if they can. Pitino is recruiting hard IMO but it will be an uphill battle for him or anyone else until we start winning more regularly.

I really like what he has done this offseason as he has been able to bring in a combination of guys who are a notch up as shooters, have good length and a reputation as hard workers who will play defense. Maybe he is putting together a TEAM here instead of a group of star ratings. Granted, I would be pumped if he was bringing in 5 guys who are all 4 and 5 star guys, but that's just not going to happen here for a while under ANY coach. Pitino or some coach is going to have to put together a string of successful teams that includes pulling some guys out of the weeds that nobody expected to be a high major kid. I have a feeling that Ihnen might be a huge sleeper and perhaps Freeman as well. Perhaps this kid Greenlee is the type of glue guy that you build a team attitude with.

Unlike you, I am really excited to see what type of team Pitino has assembled here. Many times I have referred back to the Hagan, Grier, Lawson, Arob and Coleman squad. That squad had nothing for 4 stars save for perhaps Coleman, yet they put together a TEAM that had more Big Ten wins than any Gopher team in the past 15 years. The guys were have coming in this fall have far more ability as a group than that squad did. The question is more how they play together as a group.

bga, you don't truly believe that this would not happen under "any coach". I think you could name some coaches without thinking too hard.

Seperately, just becuase someone has not figured out how to do something, does not mean someone else will not. You do not have a large sample size of coaches to label this as impossible and even if your sample size went from 5 to 100 coaches, I would still disagree. I am not commenting on this season, this coach or anything but your coment about "any coach".

bga, you don't truly believe that this would not happen under "any coach". I think you could name some coaches without thinking too hard.

Seperately, just becuase someone has not figured out how to do something, does not mean someone else will not. You do not have a large sample size of coaches to label this as impossible and even if your sample size went from 5 to 100 coaches, I would still disagree. I am not commenting on this season, this coach or anything but your coment about "any coach".

Actually, I agree with you. You could get certain "brand name" coaches in here and it would change recruiting over night. You are correct. Here's just one small problem with that: They won't come here. Pitino was about the tenth choice for the job if you recall.

There might be a lot of coaches that could change this situation over time and I still think one of them could be Pitino. In fact with good luck instead of the really bad luck he has often seen (injuries, the Lynch issue and the Dorsey sex scandal) I think he would have three straight NCAAs and we would be talking about a program really on the rise in terms of public perception. Perception is huge in getting these guys to commit.

Last edited:

Now, you're just making stuff up.

Willis averaged 5 points and 18 minutes per game as a true freshman on an NCAA Tourney team at Vandy. Averaged 5 points and 19 minutes as sophomore. That is not "awful" by any standard in the SEC. He shot 35% from 3pt as a soph. He didn't get any other schools who wanted him as a transfer because he contacted MN. He was friends with Eric Curry and we finished #2 with him coming out of high school, where he was a national Top 150. Is he a future all-Big Ten guy? Probably not. But, to say he was "awful on a Vandy team that finished at the bottom of the conference" is just being dishonest or lazy or both. He can absolutely be a contributing team member on a quality Big Ten team.

Are they getting a bump based on quantity? They have two Top 130 national recruits. MN ranked fourth in Big Ten with 3 commits which the database includes. Ranked BEHIND Minnesota is Nebraska with 5 commits, Purdue with 3 commits, Northwestern with 3 commits, etc. Gophers have two players in the Top 130. You can choose to discredit, but why don't we wait until they play a few games before we write novels disparaging them on a message board?

Where is he disparaging them??

I don't get the outrage when people aren't really satisfied with where we are. Do I think a decent amount of criticism of Pitino and the hoops team is over the top? Yeah I do. I have wanted to keep Pitino and still am in favor of keeping him around but what is wrong with EG pointing out our shortcomings? Just like Built has said before, everyone can hold the program to a different standard. I think he is simply saying that we have some more question marks in this class, and question marks haven't panned out very well for us before.

Other than not having an offense identity I would say that Pitino's biggest shortcoming is that he has some awful misses on the recruiting trail that have really crippled us down the line. I see no problem with questioning us taking another guy that didn't have a ton of interest from good division 1 basketball programs, or questioning Pitino's ability to recruit when kids go to teams that have less playing time available (Sherfield).

This year we have 4 recruits of which 2 of them are either 4* or borderline 4*:

Isaiah Ihnen - 90th recruit in the country. Fills a position of need and is a high quality shooter.

Tre Williams - 128th recruit in the country. Fills a position of need and is a high quality shooter.

Then we have a 3* recruit:

Sam Freeman - 6'11" big body who likes to bang and play physically. Provides depth at center (a 1 deep position previously).

And we have an unknown PG:

Bryon Greenlee - a 3 year starter on a state tournament winner in Florida who was his metro area's Player of the Year and is known for his defense. Provides depth at PG the team's shallowest position.

What % of these guys needs to work out for Pitino to get some credit for this class. His last class of Oturu, Kalesheur and Omersa wasn't ranked as high in the conference before the season and turned out great. Probably would have been ranked in the top 4 or 5 of the conference in hindsight. All the better in that none of them went pro. If three of these guys see the court in spots greater than 8 min/game its a success.

Factor in Demir, and I think we have done pretty well this spring! Get behind your new Gophers and have a little faith!

I don't just focus on the freshman coming in. I factor in all new players becoming available for the program. Add Carr, Willis, and Demir to this class, and I think we should be generally happy with it, especially after Pitino got off to a late start because assistants left (or were asked to leave) last summer.

Coffey-Bama, Arizona, Baylor, Mich state, Oregon, Texas, Wisc, Miami, Indiana, Marq
Curry-Arkansas, ISU, OSU, SMU, VCU
Mike Hurt-Nebraska, Northwester, Murray State, Drake

I wash- GT, Depaul, Providence, Rutgers, Seton Hall, New Mex, VCU
Jamir Haris- Bama, Creighton, Seton Hall, Stanford

Gabe- Pitt, Bowling Green, UNI, Drake
Omersa- ISU, ASU, Marquette, Oregon State, Pitt, A&M, Wake Forest
Oturu- Kansas, Creighton, Memphis, GT, Nebraska, Providence

Sam Freeman- TCU
Tre Williams- Pepperdine
Isaiah Ihnen- TCU, ASU, Stanford, Tennessee
Bryan Greenlee- Arkansas State, Iowa, Columbia

Awesome ! So we are going to finally play Pack Line !

What exactly does Pack Line mean? That we just have a group of very talented and quick defenders that stay between the player and the basket? Does it mean little switching of defenders on players? Does it mean you as a defender back off to just under the three point line and make the defensive stand there to the basket?

What exactly does Pack Line mean? That we just have a group of very talented and quick defenders that stay between the player and the basket? Does it mean little switching of defenders on players? Does it mean you as a defender back off to just under the three point line and make the defensive stand there to the basket?
It means that the three point line was moved out for a reason...

The reason I brought up Pack line vs up the line is we are losing a lot of length. I think we have good athletes, but it's more positional defenders (Gabe and Tre fit this mold). With Duprees and Amir we looked to be little more aggressive with length. Prior to this season, our help-side defense was awful, it got better throughout the year this year. A move to a more pack line style where we allow our guys to be in help position earlier may be beneficial. Especially with a deeper 3 point line.

I thought Amir didn't have a great wingspan for his height. And Dupree's lack of shooting made his defense almost inconsequential.

It's sad since good defense is just about effort and knowing where to be.

We need shooters we can make into good defenders.

I thought Amir didn't have a great wingspan for his height. And Dupree's lack of shooting made his defense almost inconsequential.

It's sad since good defense is just about effort and knowing where to be.

We need shooters we can make into good defenders.

Amir had a shorter wingspan sure, but he was taller and great at anticipating. Pree's shooting has nothing to do with the style of defense we played. Being a good defender requires effort, but position and situations are not easy to be taught and are hard. There also is some minimal athletic skills that are needed to be a good defender. Defense is a mentality and it's hard in basketball. Anyways my point was the type of defenders we have may not be more suited towards pack line.

The reason I brought up Pack line vs up the line is we are losing a lot of length. I think we have good athletes, but it's more positional defenders (Gabe and Tre fit this mold). With Duprees and Amir we looked to be little more aggressive with length. Prior to this season, our help-side defense was awful, it got better throughout the year this year. A move to a more pack line style where we allow our guys to be in help position earlier may be beneficial. Especially with a deeper 3 point line.

We may not lose much length if my man Ihnen is ready to roll! :) If he is we could be playing Carr, Gabe, Ihnen, Demir and Oturu a lot and that's a line up with good length.

Actually, I agree with you. You could get certain "brand name" coaches in here and it would change recruiting over night. You are correct. Here's just one small problem with that: They won't come here. Pitino was about the tenth choice for the job if you recall.

There might be a lot of coaches that could change this situation over time and I still think one of them could be Pitino. In fact with good luck instead of the really bad luck he has often seen (injuries, the Lynch issue and the Dorsey sex scandal) I think he would have three straight NCAAs and we would be talking about a program really on the rise in terms of public perception. Perception is huge in getting these guys to commit.

bga, I think we generally agree. Nothing is easy until someone makes it easy.

Generally speaking, a lot of luck is created, not to say that there is not some true luck involved. History and propensity matter. Culture matters. Training matters. Facilities matter. Assitants matter. Trainers matter. Recruiting matters. Point being, a lot of what is referred to as luck, is the machine getting it right every step of the way to maximize luck and minimize misfortune as much as possible.

bga, I think we generally agree. Nothing is easy until someone makes it easy.

Generally speaking, a lot of luck is created, not to say that there is not some true luck involved. History and propensity matter. Culture matters. Training matters. Facilities matter. Assitants matter. Trainers matter. Recruiting matters. Point being, a lot of what is referred to as luck, is the machine getting it right every step of the way to maximize luck and minimize misfortune as much as possible.

Yep. I was really hopeful when we hired Tubby. I figured he was a chance to give the program a credibility shot in the arm- kind of like Dick Bennett once did for the Wisconsin program that had been flailing around for so long. Bennett stabilized them and got them going. Then Ryan came in and followed up and executed the plan long term. But Tubby had lousy facilities and assistants and he lost his energy for the job. Instead of getting the jump start we needed, we got labeled the program that even Tubby Smith couldn't win at and the whole episode ended up backfiring.

When they went for Pitino they gambled on him being a big timer for the long term that could grow with the program. But he was too impatient to hit a home run right away. I think he came in thinking he could parlay the Pitino name into some big time national recruits. When he failed to close on the guys he was after we got stuck with some reaches. I think he is learning, getting better and recruiting harder and smarter but now he is constantly on the hot seat and there is no longer any positive buzz about him- which makes getting guys tougher. He needs to have a big fall recruiting and I think he will turn the corner. If he doesn't have a nice fall class- we have trouble in River City.

Surprised nobody has posted this yet, but if we want to actually talk/read about Greenlee, Marcus has a nice interview with him from yesterday:

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-path-of-former-u-star-nate-mason/511420992/

Sounds like he has played against some really good competition and will come in physically ready to play (built like a FB player).

Thanks for posting this, caught it earlier this morning and was a good read. Excited to hear he has already been playing against pretty high level competition and that he seems in no way intimidated by playing in a high major conference.

Surprised nobody has posted this yet, but if we want to actually talk/read about Greenlee, Marcus has a nice interview with him from yesterday:

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-path-of-former-u-star-nate-mason/511420992/

Sounds like he has played against some really good competition and will come in physically ready to play (built like a FB player).

That is a good interview and Bryan seems to have the right mindset and determination to be good player.

All of his credentials point towards him being an outstanding student-athlete prospect and I'm excited to see what he brings to the program. Go Gophers!

Looking through this thread, I don't have necessarily have an issue with all the Pitino criticism regarding his ability to recruit but can we at least wait to SEE our 2019 recruiting class play before we start to complain? I'd say if we get two solid future starters for our roster and a couple of serviceable players then this class could be the best one yet during Pitino's tenure here.

Looking through this thread, I don't have necessarily have an issue with all the Pitino criticism regarding his ability to recruit but can we at least wait to SEE our 2019 recruiting class play before we start to complain? I'd say if we get two solid future starters for our roster and a couple of serviceable players then this class could be the best one yet during Pitino's tenure here.

Get real. According to GI, Pitino has landed 4 out of the top 8 highest rated recruits to come to the U (yea, it doesn’t go back too far). We all want it to be even better, but this year’s class is respectable in terms of the B1G. As we extend our number of consecutive trips to the Tournament, the recruiting will improve.

Get real. According to GI, Pitino has landed 4 out of the top 8 highest rated recruits to come to the U (yea, it doesn’t go back too far). We all want it to be even better, but this year’s class is respectable in terms of the B1G. As we extend our number of consecutive trips to the Tournament, the recruiting will improve.

The difference in perception in this class mainly stems from a lack of solid offers or interest from other schools imo. I'm not telling anyone how they should value that compared with ranking and personal opinion, but simply laying out what I think are the facts. I had posted earlier the list of schollies that players over the last 4 years had been offered (I know there is offers that aren't committable and ones that are legit that don't show up on 247).

If you go by individual rankings? 4th in B1G, avg commit rating would be 10th technically but 10-7 all have avg player ratings of 92 and a decimal....so I'm going to call it 7. So basically 4th rated class in B1G and avg commit ranking tied for 7th. Yeah if I was looking at this I wouldn't be disappointed.

If you go by offer list? Yeah probably a bit underwhelming that Greenlee only had ark state/Columbia/iowa offered that dried up fast , Tre Williams had a Pepperdine offer, and Freeman didn't have any. Ihnen would be the exception as he appeared to have some good offers. If you compare the number of solid programs that have offered these guys as opposed to previous classes, yeah I would be disappointed.

I'm not really sure how people draw such strong conclusions either way. Pointing out that its ranked highly in the B1G doesn't make you a homer and pointing out that these players lack big time offers doesn't make you a troll lol. I wish we could have a little bit of a better debate without just lumping everyone into the same boat and not listening.

EDIT: and after reading my post again I would say if you want to compare B1G rankings you should do the same when it comes to offers. By that I mean add up the offers other commits have on a given year (that gets hard to compare with the variety of schools though).

The difference in perception in this class mainly stems from a lack of solid offers or interest from other schools imo. I'm not telling anyone how they should value that compared with ranking and personal opinion, but simply laying out what I think are the facts. I had posted earlier the list of schollies that players over the last 4 years had been offered (I know there is offers that aren't committable and ones that are legit that don't show up on 247).

If you go by individual rankings? 4th in B1G, avg commit rating would be 10th technically but 10-7 all have avg player ratings of 92 and a decimal....so I'm going to call it 7. So basically 4th rated class in B1G and avg commit ranking tied for 7th. Yeah if I was looking at this I wouldn't be disappointed.

If you go by offer list? Yeah probably a bit underwhelming that Greenlee only had ark state/Columbia/iowa offered that dried up fast , Tre Williams had a Pepperdine offer, and Freeman didn't have any. Ihnen would be the exception as he appeared to have some good offers. If you compare the number of solid programs that have offered these guys as opposed to previous classes, yeah I would be disappointed.

I'm not really sure how people draw such strong conclusions either way. Pointing out that its ranked highly in the B1G doesn't make you a homer and pointing out that these players lack big time offers doesn't make you a troll lol. I wish we could have a little bit of a better debate without just lumping everyone into the same boat and not listening.

EDIT: and after reading my post again I would say if you want to compare B1G rankings you should do the same when it comes to offers. By that I mean add up the offers other commits have on a given year (that gets hard to compare with the variety of schools though).
Thought Freeman had a TCU and VaTech offer, he was going to visit vs tech before Buzz left

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom