Pitino said Gophers are looking into playing Brock Stull more to give 3 pt threat

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Pitino needs to get over that this guys a complete bust

He has to do something different on offense. The guys he likes to play couldn’t make a three if they were shooting into a bushel basket. Stull is a problem on defense due to his lack of quickness but I would rather have him on offense vs Dupree x1000. Have all of you Stull haters looked at Dupree’s recent shooting? Against Wisconsin: 1-9 and 0-4 from three. Against a Purdue: 0-5 and 0-3 from three. Against Illinois 1-4 from three (he did ok on closer shots). Against Iowa 1-4 and 0-2 from three. That’s 1-13 in his last four games. Something has to be done as the defenses can absolutely collapse on our post players. To you defensive gurus: What can we do to compensate for playing Stull on defense? More zone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gophers have a stagnant half court offense.
In order to be effective they need to play faster IMO

Stull is the slowest perimeter player we have and that includes hurt.
This will be ineffective

I guess he has made 8 threes this year though. So that’s pretty exciting.

Last edited:

The gophers have a stagnant half court offense.
In order to be effective they need to play faster IMO

Stull is the slowest perimeter player we have and that includes hurt.
This will be ineffective

I guess he has made 8 threes this year though. So that’s pretty exciting.

He’s 8-15. Gabe is the only other player over 30% from three. That is pathetic, and the #1 reason we are squarely on the bubble and in danger of falling off completely soon. Kind of hard for Stull to score more threes sitting on the bench. I generally agree about playing faster. Were you at the Badger’s game? There were almost zero fast-break chances because Becky got back so quickly on defense. The reality is that a vast majority of possessions will be half-court sets, even for “fast” teams. Good luck winning games with a bunch of fast clunkers. Funny thing about basketball: Someone has to actually get the ball through the hoop.

Totally depends on if you’re Playing someone you can hide him against on defense

He’s 8-15. Gabe is the only other player over 30% from three. That is pathetic, and the #1 reason we are squarely on the bubble and in danger of falling off completely soon. Kind of hard for Stull to score more threes sitting on the bench. I generally agree about playing faster. Were you at the Badger’s game? There were almost zero fast-break chances because Becky got back so quickly on defense. The reality is that a vast majority of possessions will be half-court sets, even for “fast” teams. Good luck winning games with a bunch of fast clunkers. Funny thing about basketball: Someone has to actually get the ball through the hoop.

Stull is by far the worst guy that sees minutes.
Hurt is a more effective player.

Stull is one of the worst defenders I’ve seen take thefourt for the gophers the past 10 years.
This season he has managed to make 11 shots this season.

If stull is our answer. We don’t have an answer.

How is the stull experiment going?

LOL. Did he even attempt one in his 15 minutes? Great talent evaluation there Richard and Jeter.

The frustrating thing is he seems to lack the assertiveness to shoot. I dont get it. He hit some huge shots in that first Wiscy game, but he is bringing nothing now

must have been deep in garbage time. We already have one slow white guy who's terrified to shoot in Hurt. The last thing we needed was another one.

I agree. Was just thinking how Stull and Hurt have the same physical reaction when they get the ball open on the arc: freeze up and hurry to pass it

How is the stull experiment going?

I didn’t see the game, but apparently not well. How did the Coffey experiment go? Murphy experiment? Not much better today.

Stull is by far the worst guy that sees minutes.
Hurt is a more effective player.

Stull is one of the worst defenders I’ve seen take thefourt for the gophers the past 10 years.
This season he has managed to make 11 shots this season.

If stull is our answer. We don’t have an answer.
You must not remember Westbrook...

What is funny is everyone keeps ripping Stull as if this is his fault. I by no means think he is going to completely turn this team around but he averaged 14ppg last year playing Div 1 basketball. I know all the rubes are going to say ya but it wasnt Big10 basketball. Ok great, but our bench is so horrific and the fact Pitino cannot get a 5th year senior minutes who averaged 14ppg last year shows Pitino is not a good offensive mind. Some of or most of the blame should be on Pitino not using Stull correctly.

No basketball player can play their best when they sit 2 games in a row and next game they get 11 minutes and next game zero and then next game 18 minutes. He should have been getting 15 minutes a game, every game since day 1.

Either Stull or start awarding 7 points when the Gophers bank in a 3.

What is funny is everyone keeps ripping Stull as if this is his fault. I by no means think he is going to completely turn this team around but he averaged 14ppg last year playing Div 1 basketball. I know all the rubes are going to say ya but it wasnt Big10 basketball. Ok great, but our bench is so horrific and the fact Pitino cannot get a 5th year senior minutes who averaged 14ppg last year shows Pitino is not a good offensive mind. Some of or most of the blame should be on Pitino not using Stull correctly.

No basketball player can play their best when they sit 2 games in a row and next game they get 11 minutes and next game zero and then next game 18 minutes. He should have been getting 15 minutes a game, every game since day 1.

+1. What is more likely - that Stull completely forgot how to play basketball since transferring schools (albeit to a higher level), or is our coaching staff just not very good?

It's similar to a baseball player that only gets an occasional appearance at the plate. It's much more difficult to be successful when the repetition does not exist.

+1. What is more likely - that Stull completely forgot how to play basketball since transferring schools (albeit to a higher level), or is our coaching staff just not very good?

according to Pitino, Stull just got really fat and out of shape before he got here. Still trying to get him into shape

according to Pitino, Stull just got really fat and out of shape before he got here. Still trying to get him into shape

Absolutely. Look at photos from when he played at Milwaukee to the start of this season. You step up the level of competition and gain 20 pounds, that’s a giant factor.

I just have to laugh at this. Stull is and will be a non-factor no matter if he plays or not. To be honest, the #2 spot or 3 whichever you like to call it has been a hole all season for this team. IMO, IW needs to run the 1 and get Coffee off the ball. If it were me, I would just run IW and Coffee in the backcourt and go big with Oturo, Curry and Murphy and bring in the big tall kid off the bench for the front line and McBrayer at the G. None of them can shoot outside anyway, why not just try to destroy teams down low?

I just have to laugh at this. Stull is and will be a non-factor no matter if he plays or not. To be honest, the #2 spot or 3 whichever you like to call it has been a hole all season for this team. IMO, IW needs to run the 1 and get Coffee off the ball. If it were me, I would just run IW and Coffee in the backcourt and go big with Oturo, Curry and Murphy and bring in the big tall kid off the bench for the front line and McBrayer at the G. None of them can shoot outside anyway, why not just try to destroy teams down low?

image.jpg

How long does it take a guy to get into shape? Guys been practicing everyday for over 4 months and he isn't in shape yet?

Absolutely. Look at photos from when he played at Milwaukee to the start of this season. You step up the level of competition and gain 20 pounds, that’s a giant factor.

Good wording.....

Make adjustments to the offense. If that in turns leads to Stull playing then fine. Just do not say that we are looking at playing him more. This exemplifies the issue I have with Pitino. His only “adjustment” in games is weird substitutions. Run something different, change up the defense, do something instead of changing the players only. It’s like tubby 2.0 and believing that the problem couldn’t be his scheme. I’m so sick of the weave and dribble handoff.

Top Bottom