Charley Walters: Men's Team Projected as #5 Seed

Other Gopher Basketball notes from Charley:

Royce White, 25, the former Hopkins and Iowa State basketball star who was the 2012 first-round draft pick (No. 16 overall) of the Houston Rockets, is off to an impressive start with the London Lightning in the National Basketball League of Canada. ( ;) )

The Gophers women’s basketball team retires Rachel Banham’s jersey next Sunday in its Big Ten home opener against Maryland.

This would mean ~ 11-12 BT wins and a win or 2 in the conference tourney. That would be spectacular. Hope it plays out that way.

Other Gopher Basketball notes from Charley:

Royce White, 25, the former Hopkins and Iowa State basketball star who was the 2012 first-round draft pick (No. 16 overall) of the Houston Rockets, is off to an impressive start with the London Lightning in the National Basketball League of Canada. ( ;) )

Does he travel by dogsled:confused:

I would love to see Royce get some help and turn his life around and get back into the NBA soon

Sad if Royce would have been able to stay out of trouble and would have been able to pull it together and play for the gophers. He along with Mbakwe. Rodney Williams and the two Hollins boys we would
Have been very strong.

Sad if Royce would have been able to stay out of trouble and would have been able to pull it together and play for the gophers. He along with Mbakwe. Rodney Williams and the two Hollins boys we would
Have been very strong.

Don't forget DeVoe Joseph and Justin Cobbs. Both ended up being all Pac 12. Plus Iverson ended up getting drafted too. Austin and Andre along with Joe Coleman would have came off the bench along with Iverson and Sampson. Would have been one of the best front courts in the country.

I went through London once. Just north of Detroit. Ironically, the day my buddy and I were passing through, it was a Canadian holiday, and everything was closed. we had a heck of time finding someplace to eat.

My only fear with all this tournament talk is that expectations of a successful season have been elevated to a point where if this team just barely makes the NIT it'll be a major disappointment rather than the most likely outcome we predicted 3 months ago.

Will be estatic if Pitino can make the tournament, and return every starter next year.

As one of most long time Gopher fans, there is only hope. At this point of the season, there should be zero expectations of a 5th seed. In my view, the gophers haven't proven anything yet to suggest they are a top 20 team and I question if they have the depth/experience of talent to be considered in that league of talent teams. Could they be a top 30 team by the end of the season, maybe. In my view, a near top 30 finish and a 8th/9th seed would be an exceptional achievement. I put the odds of that happening at 50/50.

Still have a ton of work to do to make the tourney. I am predicting we will be more likely a team on the bubble. We need some signature wins against some strong big ten teams.

As one of most long time Gopher fans, there is only hope. At this point of the season, there should be zero expectations of a 5th seed. In my view, the gophers haven't proven anything yet to suggest they are a top 20 team and I question if they have the depth/experience of talent to be considered in that league of talent teams. Could they be a top 30 team by the end of the season, maybe. In my view, a near top 30 finish and a 8th/9th seed would be an exceptional achievement. I put the odds of that happening at 50/50.

I would say that is a pretty fair assesment. I too am conserned about the depth, expecially with Lynch, Murphy and even Coffey being somewhat foul prone.

The loss of Fitzgerald is potentially a big loss.

Let's start with a win against MSU tomorrow night.
:cheer:

I would say that is a pretty fair assesment. I too am conserned about the depth, expecially with Lynch, Murphy and even Coffey being somewhat foul prone.

The loss of Fitzgerald is potentially a big loss.

Let's start with a win against MSU tomorrow night.
:cheer:

Any year we are in tournament conversation, we are on the bubble.
I can't think of the last time we weren't on the bubble and made the tournament.

This is likely just the cynic in me but I feel the local media loves putting this type of story out so when we don't come close to a 5th seed in NCAA tourney they can rip the program for not meeting expectations. We all know a 5th seed is highly unlikely and just making the tourney would be a remarkable story and turnaround. Just amazes me how we start at "just making the NIT would be a nice step" to "the Gophers at this time are slotted as a fifth seed". Let's pump the brakes and see how things play out. How we match up in B1G play and how we handle playing on the road are still a huge unknown. That being said...Go Gophers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any year we are in tournament conversation, we are on the bubble.
I can't think of the last time we weren't on the bubble and made the tournament.

I think we were fairly comfortably in in 2013, despite some claiming there was no chance we could get in with a losing conference record. We were top 30 or 40 RPI, and I'm pretty sure a major conference team with an RPI like that pretty much never gets left out.

I think we were fairly comfortably in in 2013, despite some claiming there was no chance we could get in with a losing conference record. We were top 30 or 40 RPI, and I'm pretty sure a major conference team with an RPI like that pretty much never gets left out.

I think your right. Of the 6 major conferences, the highest RPI to be left out was Missouri at 49 in 2015; based on quick search.

Top Bottom