Tunnel Screen?

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I may be remembering incorrectly or getting confused with the previous coaching staff but didn't the Gophers run a lot of tunnel screens at some point, with very little/no success? Not sure why I just thought of this but please help me.

It never worked here but I've seen it work a lot. Bateman would be a good candidate for this type of play, if we can block it.

We have run a lot of tunnel screens under Fleck including to Bateman. Sometimes is has worked, sometimes is hasn't. Autman-Bell had his longest reception of the season against Nebraska last year on a tunnel screen.

1:23

Last edited:

Tried this play against SDSU first game

I may be remembering incorrectly or getting confused with the previous coaching staff but didn't the Gophers run a lot of tunnel screens at some point, with very little/no success? Not sure why I just thought of this but please help me.

It never worked here but I've seen it work a lot. Bateman would be a good candidate for this type of play, if we can block it.

Gophers tried a version of this play the first game against South Dakota State. I think the play went to Johnson or Batemen out side of Seth Green, I think it was Johnson. Green completely whiffed on the block and getting in the way and the play was thrown for a loss. This play works best if you have an aggressive defense that slants or over pursues a lot to the boundary.

I for one would like to see them run a version of the Wildcat where they actually run the RPO and instead of Green, Tanner runs the play, he flips the pass outside to Green and then when everyone crashes on Green thinking he is going to run he pitches it to Batemen like a hook and ladder action. I think Batemen would rip off a pretty good gain after everyone pursued him.
Would also like to see a formation where Green and Tanner are both in the backfield. Fake the RPO to Tanner have Green hesitate and then throw a skinny post route to Paulsen, I think you could get a nice 20 to 30 yard gain out of that type of play where everyone will be crashing Green like he is going to run the ball out of the play. Same fake could work where everyone key's on Green and then Morgan actually runs the sweep play outside on a boot.

We're about 1 for 20 in Ciarrocca era for actually getting decent yardage on this play. I wish they would bury it in the playbook.

We're about 1 for 20 in Ciarrocca era for actually getting decent yardage on this play. I wish they would bury it in the playbook.

The one must be the Douglas gainer above. I was sweaty and drunk and angry that game.

Had a great time after. Railyard for life

I remember the years under Mason where we couldn't defend them to save our life. It was a guaranteed 8 yards for any team that threw one...

Seems like someone always makes a shoestring tackle and it results in 4-5 yard pickup instead of a long gainer. I kind of like the play but for whatever reason the spacing always seems a little off/tight and it doesn’t seem to get off. May be a blocking issue or overall timing issue - where is Mr. Daniel House when we need him.

Seems like someone always makes a shoestring tackle and it results in 4-5 yard pickup instead of a long gainer. I kind of like the play but for whatever reason the spacing always seems a little off/tight and it doesn’t seem to get off. May be a blocking issue or overall timing issue - where is Mr. Daniel House when we need him.

We ran 1-2 against SDSU and IIRC the DE sniffed it out as he sat back in coverage instead of rushing the passer.

Interesting article about tunnel, bubble and now screens and how one particular coach recommends teaching the the three screens and how he lets his receivers decide which they will run and who will get the ball.

http://insider.afca.com/the-best-screen-you-need-to-smash-your-offensive-production/

Reading through some of the details, it seems like the positioning on the tunnel is most critical, so that may be why we're seeing it not be as valuable as other options...

I understand the U may not use the same philosophy, but it seems like many of the points would be consistent.

Is this the same thing as a bubble screen? Never heard it called a tunnel screen, if it's what I'm thinking of..

Is this the same thing as a bubble screen? Never heard it called a tunnel screen, if it's what I'm thinking of..

No, a tunnel screen is the play at 1:23 in the CAB video I posted in this thread. This is a bubble screen. With a tunnel screen, the outside receiver typically runs towards the QB while the inside receivers block whereas with a bubble screen the inside receiver usually backs up and runs to the outside while the outside receivers block.

Last edited:

I remember the years under Mason where we couldn't defend them to save our life. It was a guaranteed 8 yards for any team that threw one...

I remember it being the bubble screen. Iowa ran it at will against us!!!!!!! (Bubble goes inside to the X or Y toward the middle of the field, and bubble goes outside toward the sideline to a slot receiver.)

I agree with this totally. There isn’t an offensive play we run that I dislike more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this totally. There isn’t an offensive play we run that I dislike more.

Yeah, I still don't like the play. We almost threw a pick on it later in the game.

I always thought it was called a “jailbreak screen.” Tunnel works too I guess.

Nebby used to run it well I remember - especially against us it seemed.

Yeah, I still don't like the play. We almost threw a pick on it later in the game.

It seems like more often than not, we either almost throw a pick or lose yardage on it. To me, almost every time we run it, it looks like the first time we’ve ever tried it.

Top Bottom