The Bubble Could Be Extra Friendly Next March

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If the NCAA hits them with a ban.

NCAA Tournament without Arizona, Auburn, NC State and Oklahoma State would seem like something they could live with but eliminating their beloved Kansas Jayhawks seems like something they would be reticent to do.

Would this actually move fast enough to impact the upcoming season? I’m guessing not.

Would this actually move fast enough to impact the upcoming season? I’m guessing not.

Good question.

My initial inclination would be to answer no. But the fact they've publicly said they'll name 2 of the schools by the end of the month, and the rest (of the 6) by the end of July seems to indicate it could go into affect/effect (I'm terrible at this one) for the upcoming season. Might was well gets the penalties moving, because we all know they're going to appeal and tell us how harshly/unfairly they're beating treated.

Some of the named teams may opt for a voluntary post-season ban, especially if they are having a fair to middling season.

When I read “notification of alleged violations” I would think the schools would be given time to do their own investigations, then respond to the ncaa regarding any self imposed penalties, then the negotiations begin. With the fbi involved maybe some schools move quickly, maybe some coaches get fired before next season. But agreed upon penalties, I doubt it

Should've been posted in the thread about pending sanctions that was just started.

Good question.

My initial inclination would be to answer no. But the fact they've publicly said they'll name 2 of the schools by the end of the month, and the rest (of the 6) by the end of July seems to indicate it could go into affect/effect (I'm terrible at this one) for the upcoming season. Might was well gets the penalties moving, because we all know they're going to appeal and tell us how harshly/unfairly they're beating treated.

You can usually figure out which to use by deciding whether the "noun" has a direct affect on something or whether it has an indirect effect on the subject or matter. This would be an effect which would affect the college basketball landscape.

To tell you the truth, I just go with which one sounds better!

You can usually figure out which to use by deciding whether the "noun" has a direct affect on something or whether it has an indirect effect on the subject or matter. This would be an effect which would affect the college basketball landscape.

To tell you the truth, I just go with which one sounds better!

Thanks! (thumb up emoji)

You can usually figure out which to use by deciding whether the "noun" has a direct affect on something or whether it has an indirect effect on the subject or matter.

... those should both be "effect". In general, if it's a noun it should be effect, if it's a verb it should be affect.

Unfortunately, affect can be a noun in psychology terms, and effect can be a verb meaning "to cause", e.g. "effect a change". But for common usage, the above rule holds up pretty well.

Top Bottom