2017 Volleyball

Boop! Gophers win 3-1! I'm really surprised they won. This team is may be better than my expectations.

Hopefully they aren't playing Stanford or Texas in the preseason for a while. Getting tired of them!

I love playing Texas, Stanford and the likes of them in pre-season. Gets the women ready for the challenge of the big10. I would like to see them get Florida or Florida State once in awhile. Go Gophers.

I hope someone watched the match and will fill in the details. I'm just waiting for the stats. Twitter had Samedy with 22 kills, Hart with 14 and Martin with 11. Rosado apparently had a fantastic match.

Very impressive win. To go into a hostile environment and beat the pre-season No. 1 on their home floor makes a big statement.

This team might be a bit further along then we might have thought.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I hope someone watched the match and will fill in the details. I'm just waiting for the stats. Twitter had Samedy with 22 kills, Hart with 14 and Martin with 11. Rosado apparently had a fantastic match.

I taped it and watched it tonight. We played well all night. We knew Alexis Hart was a stud, but Samedy is easily as good. She has the ability to leave the program as our best player ever. We should have won all 4 games as Texas saved 2 game points in the one game they won. Pittman was surprisingly good (although she is 6'5") and Rosado was unbelievable digging today. We really looked good against a really good team in their gym. I don't see Oregon St. giving us trouble next week, so we should be undefeated heading into the Big Ten.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/recaps/090817aaa.html

Way to go Rosado!

Samantha Seliger-Swenson added a season-best 55 assists and had three blocks. Dalianliz Rosado tied a career-best 27 digs and had one ace and two assists.

The end of the third set starring Pittman and Martin.

Texas responded and tied it at 23 after a long rally. The two teams again tied at 24. The Gophers provided back-to-back blocks, one by Pittman and Martin for set point.

Yesterday's B1G scores of note:

In Lawrence: #17 Purdue defeated #9 Creighton 3-1 and then lost to #7 Kansas 3-1.

In Fort Collins: #25 Colorado State defeated #16 Michigan 3-0.

In Lincoln: #12 Nebraska (Hunter setting) defeated #11 UCLA 3-0.

In Champaign: Former Illini head coach, Kevin Hambley, returned with his new team and #4 Stanford defeated Illinois 3-0.

I love playing Texas, Stanford and the likes of them in pre-season. Gets the women ready for the challenge of the big10. I would like to see them get Florida or Florida State once in awhile. Go Gophers.

I like the challenges the matches bring also just want to see some different elite teams. Florida schools would be good!

The match is on YouTube if anyone wants to replay it: https://youtu.be/VP2uP00YzZw

Just finished the youtube replay. That was some mid-season intensity with some occasional NCAA tourney intensity tossed in. Especially intense were the last 8-10 points of the second set. This included Barnes and Seliger-Swenson attempting to run through the student section chasing down the ball.

Samedy took over the end of the first set with four kills (I think all were from opposite) and then she started the second set with 3 more. The last of the three was from outside. In the fourth set, Samedy piped one from the back row helping to spark a 6-0 Gophers run.

Pittman was moving everywhere along the front line and Martin was no longer a freshman.

I like the challenges the matches bring also just want to see some different elite teams. Florida schools would be good!

The match is on YouTube if anyone wants to replay it: https://youtu.be/VP2uP00YzZw

They actually played Florida State last year in Puerto Rico and have faced the Seminoles a few times over the years as I recall. Don't ever remember them playing Florida however.

Notable B1G scores for 9 September:

In Champaign, #3 Penn State defeated #4 Stanford 3-2.

In Lincoln, #12 Nebraska swept #11 UCLA for the second consecutive night.

2 wins over Stanford for Penn St. Our win over Texas will keep us #1 in the rankings, but Penn St deserves to be right up there. Nebraska coming back to form after a couple set backs earlier this year. Conference season will be fun.

2 wins over Stanford for Penn St. Our win over Texas will keep us #1 in the rankings, but Penn St deserves to be right up there. Nebraska coming back to form after a couple set backs earlier this year. Conference season will be fun.

And not to forget Wisconsin. The freshmen, Hilley and Rettke, have upped the Badger's game.

Conference going to be extremely tough but good in the long run come tournament time.

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017/09/gophers-win-3-1-against-texas-remain-undefeated

Quotes from Minnesota Daily article.

“[I’m] just really proud of the team, [we] came back to execution,” said head coach Hugh McCutcheon. “When we did get into trouble, we were able to figure a way out of it.”

“It shows what we’re capable of as a team; they had a crazy environment,” Samedy said. “It was loud, it was packed, but we managed to stay together as a team.”

Middle blocker Molly Lohman had a momentum-building kill in the first set after an alternating point that lasted several rallies.

“It’s incredible, we’re grinding there every single point,” Lohman said. “And those long rallies, at the end of it either way each team had so many great plays that you are happy to come out on top.”

“Oh my gosh, it [feels] so good.” Lohman said of the win.

To the surprise of no one, the ladies remain No. 1 in this week's AVCA poll.

They actually picked up an additional 11 first-place votes and Penn State picked up a few as well, vaulting them into the No. 2 slot ahead of Florida at No. 3. Other Big 10 teams in this week's poll are Wisconsin at No. 5, Nebraska at No. 10, Purdue at No. 15, Michigan at No. 21, Michigan State at No. 23 and Ohio State at No. 25.

Also of note: North Carolina is back in the rankings at No. 24.

link: https://www.avca.org/polls/di-women/9-11-2017.html

Samedy has been named ESPN's National Player of the Week for her performance in Texas over the weekend.

Have to admit, she's been even better than I expected. Having watched some of her high school film, I knew she'd be good. But I didn't expect her to be this good, this fast. I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating; having her for four years is going to be a whole lot of fun.

link: http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20681613/freshman-stephanie-samedy-stepping-no-1-minnesota-golden-gophers?addata=espn:ncaa:index

Samedy has been named ESPN's National Player of the Week for her performance in Texas over the weekend.

Have to admit, she's been even better than I expected. Having watched some of her high school film, I knew she'd be good. But I didn't expect her to be this good, this fast. I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating; having her for four years is going to be a whole lot of fun.

link: http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20681613/freshman-stephanie-samedy-stepping-no-1-minnesota-golden-gophers?addata=espn:ncaa:index

I think what we're seeing when the freshmen play at such high levels is Hugh's coaching. We have one of the top handful of coaches in the nation and it really stands out. The question isn't if we'll win a Natty under Hugh, it's when.

I think what we're seeing when the freshmen play at such high levels is Hugh's coaching. We have one of the top handful of coaches in the nation and it really stands out. The question isn't if we'll win a Natty under Hugh, it's when.

Personally, I think it's probably a combination of factors. Obviously, Hugh is not only one of the best coaches in the country, but in the world. As a general rule, I don't like to engage in such hyperbole when evaluating coaches or players, but in Hugh's case, such words are certainly appropriate. His track record speaks for itself.

He recruits as well as anybody, but in all honesty, recruiting has always been a strength for Gopher volleyball. Hebert reeled in plenty of top-level recruits when he was coaching here and Hugh has continued that.

What makes Hugh special imo is his ability to keep everybody on the same page. The players and coaches all understand their functions and responsibilities. But more than that, they accept those roles, regardless of whether it's as a featured player or coming off the bench. There's no underestimating how important that is and how difficult it is to achieve such a dynamic.

It's something that Jessica Allister achieved with softball and Hugh has achieved with volleyball. It allows newcomers to acclimate more quickly and the adjustment process to being in a new environment with new people that much easier.

There's already a certain comfort level between veterans like Seliger-Swenson, Goehner, Rosado and Lohman and the newcomers. Throw-in some of the younger players like Hart and Pittman, who both have a year with the program under their belt, and it seems like the true freshman like Samedy, Barnes and Martin have had an especially smooth incorporation to the team.

To me, Hugh deserves full credit for it as do the veterans who have helped the freshmen adjust to college life.

Thursday score of note:

In College Park (playing in the Xfinity Center) Maryland moved to 10-0 on the season defeating #18 Southern Cal in straight sets -22, -23, -21.

Also: In Madison, Marquette took the first set from Wisconsin.

I agree, Hugh plays a massive role in this team's early performance. More specifically, haven't heard a coach in any college or professional sport that exudes so much eloquence and emotional intelligence as this guy. Honestly, only other dude that comes to mind is Greg Popovich in the NBA.

Yikes, Gophers don't look good at all. They sleep walk to a 25-19 set 1 loss. :confused:

Yikes, Gophers don't look good at all. They sleep walk to a 25-19 set 1 loss. :confused:

That was one of the worst sets I've seen the team play in years. Frankly, it was embarrassing.

Top Bottom