All Things Gabe Madsen Recruitment Thread (Rochester Mayo 2020 Guard; Gophs Offered)

While there is other crticisim one can lay on Pitino, my biggest gripe has been roster management and too many wasted scholarships. Every team has a miss or two, but roster depth has been challenge
Mason Madsen is not the hill to die on for that issue. I can think of plenty of better examples then not giving a token scholarship to a good not great prospects twin brother

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If Gabe were a top 50 player, maybe. As it is, no.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Recruitment picking up for Gophers 2020 target Gabe Madsen and his twin brother

Q: What are you telling schools during the recruiting process about playing with your twin brother?

A: I’ve kind told everyone the same thing. We’re going to do the best for ourselves. If it so happens there’s a situation where we can play together we will go with that. That would be awesome. But we have to do what’s best for ourselves. I don’t understand why some schools aren’t offering him. We’re always in the gym together and our 1-on-1 games are competitive all the time. We’re just different players. I’m just a little bit bigger. There are less people who are 6-6 who score the ball. He’s 6-3 and there’s more people playing point guard, but I guess that’s it.

Q: Does getting offered by the Gophers mean something different since you’re a Wisconsin native (moved from Bloomer to Rochester in 2017)?

A: I know I’m not from here, but when you get that home state offer there are some people who go ‘Wow.’ If you get an offer from some other schools they don’t know about it’s not the same. That’s because everybody knows about the hometown school. Obviously, it’s cool because it’s your home state (now) and not many people in the home state get offers. It’s a cool thing. I like watching basketball, so I’ve always watched them (growing up).

Q: Where are you as far as deciding which schools to visit officially and making a decision?

A: I’m just moving forward and taking it as it comes. I’m going to go through the summer and see what happens. I’m going to look at my schools and see which one fits me best. That’s the one I’ll go with. (Coach Pitino) just told me I fit his style of play well and the program. He told me they need someone in the 2020 class to get the committing started. He just wanted me to be that guy to kick it off. He just needed someone to play (his position). So that’s appealing, so we’ll see what happens. I hear from (the Gophers) once or twice a week. Not crazy but enough to see what’s happening. The Iowa State (assistant) coach texts me every day. That’s the most from any school (before he got the Cyclones offer). Texas just recently started to text me pretty consistently. Texas Tech got on it a few weeks ago texting me. They just said they would be watching me at the tournaments in July. Virginia Tech just called me (two weeks ago).

Q: How encouraging is it to see other Minnesotans pick the Gophers? Discouraging to see locals not stay home, too?

A: You definitely look at who is playing there now. You obviously look at who stayed and who didn’t. But just more so looking at who you would play with. I’ve talked to them at the camp.

http://www.startribune.com/recruitm...t-gabe-madsen-and-his-twin-brother/512795822/

Go Gophers!!

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

So the big question in my mind is how badly do the brothers want to play together? Those are three very good team options to make it happen for them. Is Mason that good to get those offers? If so, why haven’t we offered? I ask because we have offers our to several other guards. I feel like we need a small forward type who can reall shoot from the outside in this class and Gabe could fill that role nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the big question in my mind is how badly do the brothers want to play together? Those are three very good team options to make it happen for them. Is Mason that good to get those offers? If so, why haven’t we offered? I ask because we have offers our to several other guards. I feel like we need a small forward type who can reall shoot from the outside in this class and Gabe could fill that role nicely.

Based on the number of guys that are being pursued by this staff (a ton) I just don't see them taking Mason. If Mashburn, for example doesn't come/decide until October, just to use one example, no way are they going to give that one to Mason prior in order to get Gabe. Gabe has to decide he wants to be a Gopher as do a lot of these locals or the ship is going to sail without them. I hold out hope for a Suggs, Garcia, Walton class. That's a Big Ten championship competitor when added to who we have.

Only Cincy has offered Mason and they already have a PG commit. Though not sure about their roster make up. Xavier seems to have a ton of guards and wings in this class. If we get Gabe on campus I think we have a good shot.
One thing that doesn't seem to come up, is guys like Mason who stay uncommitted and have good senior years, tend to get better spring offers. Do the Madsen's wait it out? Even if they don't play together, a guy like Gabe could get some quality late interest

Only Cincy has offered Mason and they already have a PG commit. Though not sure about their roster make up. Xavier seems to have a ton of guards and wings in this class. If we get Gabe on campus I think we have a good shot.
One thing that doesn't seem to come up, is guys like Mason who stay uncommitted and have good senior years, tend to get better spring offers. Do the Madsen's wait it out? Even if they don't play together, a guy like Gabe could get some quality late interest

It is all a gamble. Some could open, but if you have a good offer at a place you would like to play, then you need to take it before someone else does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we miss on Walton and Thompson, I bet we throw an offer at Mason.

Still hoping we get Garcia as our number 1 recruit. Suggs is looking like a pipedream.

But a recruiting class of:

Garcia
Crowl
The Madsens

Would be very nice!

Serious question, if they were that good and 2 high major D1 players with a bit of height, how is Rochester Mayo not a better basketball team? I do like Gabe potential to be a solid 4 year contributor but not enough to bring his brother in as a package deal.

Still hoping we get Garcia as our number 1 recruit. Suggs is looking like a pipedream.

Garcia
Crowl
The Madsens

Would be very nice!

Who is Thompson? I see we’ve offered Bryce Thompson, a 5 star from Oklahoma, but I’m guessing you’re not referring to him.

Treyton, but I see he's a 2021.

What will also be interesting to watch Is if they elect to split, do the offers hold for Mason or are they only contingent on them playing together

Garcia
Crowl
The Madsens

Would be very nice!

Suggs isn't staying here. He's as much of a lock to Gonzaga as one can possibly be without having announced yet. It's all but a done deal. Pitino has a very legit shot at Garcia, Mashburn and/or Walton, Gabe Madsen as well.

Suggs isn't staying here. He's as much of a lock to Gonzaga as one can possibly be without having announced yet. It's all but a done deal. Pitino has a very legit shot at Garcia, Mashburn and/or Walton, Gabe Madsen as well.
I watched KARE 11 sports and Suggs seems like he may be leaning toward football. If that's the case then Gonzaga is off the table.

Suggs not playing football if anything he may pull a RJ Hampton move but def not playing football after high school

As nice as it may seem to play with your brother, Gabe has to make the best decision for himself. Each player has a different style and fits into a team’s plans differently. It is in Mason’s best interest to find the best fit for himself and not try to be forced into a package deal. Even if they do go to the same school, how much playing time would Mason get if he was considered a “roster filler”? I am not trying to diminish Mason’s ability, just think it would be best for him to go to a school that is excited to get him.

As nice as it may seem to play with your brother, Gabe has to make the best decision for himself. Each player has a different style and fits into a team’s plans differently. It is in Mason’s best interest to find the best fit for himself and not try to be forced into a package deal. Even if they do go to the same school, how much playing time would Mason get if he was considered a “roster filler”? I am not trying to diminish Mason’s ability, just think it would be best for him to go to a school that is excited to get him.

This is spot on, and exactly what they have said in interviews. Mason will not go somewhere that he feels he isn’t wanted. He’ll go to Toledo and be wanted before he goes somewhere as an add on offer just to get Gabe.

This is spot on, and exactly what they have said in interviews. Mason will not go somewhere that he feels he isn’t wanted. He’ll go to Toledo and be wanted before he goes somewhere as an add on offer just to get Gabe.

I don't watch Rockets hoops, only football as they are my second team, but would actually tune in to a few games if a MN kid was getting playing time there

That may be the case for Mason, but the other question is whether Gabe is willing to play at a mid major.

That may be the case for Mason, but the other question is whether Gabe is willing to play at a mid major.

I was assuming in my previous statement that Gabe would be going high major. From my perspective, I don’t see Gabe going to a mid major. All of his officials are to high major schools. I think they would love to play together, but individually want to be in a place that is best for each of them.

I was assuming in my previous statement that Gabe would be going high major. From my perspective, I don’t see Gabe going to a mid major. All of his officials are to high major schools. I think they would love to play together, but individually want to be in a place that is best for each of them.

I'm hoping that is the case. If it is, I like our chances.

Top Bottom