ESPN: Big 12 commish: All transfers should sit one year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Amid growing discussion about the transfer portal, waiver process and debates over whether all transfers should gain immediate eligibility at their new schools, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Tuesday he believes all student-athletes who want to transfer should sit out one year, with no exceptions.

Bowlsby spoke on a commissioner's panel with SEC commissioner Greg Sankey and ACC commissioner John Swofford at the annual National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics convention. When the transfer portal topic came up, Bowlsby said he thought it was a "colossal mistake" for the NCAA to set different transfer guidelines for different sports.

Football, men's and women's basketball, baseball and men's ice hockey transfers must sit out one year unless they apply to the NCAA for and are granted a waiver for immediate eligibility. Meanwhile, student-athletes in all other sports are allowed immediate eligibility without penalty, provided they only transfer once.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26948342/big-12-commish-all-transfers-sit-one-year

Go Gophers!!

I prefer the other sport rule where everyone gets one transfer without sitting out.

From my perspective, the sit year is the best for the student. Allows them to get acclimated to the school and focus their energy on making sure their academics are in order. They can still practice with the team and get drilled on the new aspects of team defense principles before being thrown into action.

I get why most dislike it, practicing hard without seeing any game time is tough.

From my perspective, the sit year is the best for the student. Allows them to get acclimated to the school and focus their energy on making sure their academics are in order. They can still practice with the team and get drilled on the new aspects of team defense principles before being thrown into action.

I get why most dislike it, practicing hard without seeing any game time is tough.

Honestly I could care less which system they use as long as it is consistent. If you are going to make transfers sit for a year then enforce it and stop giving out BS waivers to let some play right away while enforcing the policy for others. Too much gray area and confusion and shockingly the power schools tend to get their waivers approved.

Honestly I could care less which system they use as long as it is consistent. If you are going to make transfers sit for a year then enforce it and stop giving out BS waivers to let some play right away while enforcing the policy for others. Too much gray area and confusion and shockingly the power schools tend to get their waivers approved.

Agreed

As I read the OP, I thought they were talking about differences between sports - i.e. in college softball, you can transfer as an undergrad and become eligible immediately at the new school, like the Gophers' star catcher who left in mid-school year for a school in Florida. in football or hoops, you have to apply for a waiver, or you sit out a year. and of course, a grad transfer is eligible immediately.

That is how I read what Bowlsby was saying - that transfer rules should be consistent across all sports. if you have to sit out a year in football (assuming no waiver), then you should have to sit out a year in softball, and vice versa. Imagine college FB or hoops with the softball rule in effect. you could easily see mass turnover on rosters from year to year. it could be a real mess.

FWIW, I also agree that the whole "waiver" thing is a joke.

Top Bottom