Interviewing for a job with Fleckisms

fmlizard

Reaction score
So I've been interviewing for jobs the last month or so. These are managerial jobs so there's lots of questions about leadership. I never really had a stated philosophy on the topic, so I did a phone interview the other day trying to work in as many "Fleckisms" as I could in 45 minutes. If I didn't know where these lines came from I would say they actually came off pretty smooth in the interview.

I got in the following:

"Forget about me, I love you"
"Race to MAHturity"
"Prefontaine Pace"
"Change Your Best"
"I'm not for everyone"
"Elite" (three times)
and of course, "Row the Boat" (twice)

Sadly, I was not able to reference an iron pipe wrench, an axe, or eating difficult conversations for breakfast.

They called me back this morning :cool:

So I've been interviewing for jobs the last month or so. These are managerial jobs so there's lots of questions about leadership. I never really had a stated philosophy on the topic, so I did a phone interview the other day trying to work in as many "Fleckisms" as I could in 45 minutes. If I didn't know where these lines came from I would say they actually came off pretty smooth in the interview.

I got in the following:

"Race to MAHturity"
"Prefontaine Pace"
"Change Your Best"
"I'm not for everyone"
"Elite" (three times)

Sadly, I was not able to reference an iron pipe wrench, an axe, or eating difficult conversations for breakfast.

I'm hiring a manager now. If he/she used Elite and Row the Boat in a conversation; I would gush. I'm phone interviewing a guy out of Iowa in the next few days; would this count as eating difficult conversations for breakfast??

I got in the following:

"Race to MAHturity"
"Prefontaine Pace"
"Change Your Best"
"I'm not for everyone"
"Elite" (three times)

"Prefontaine Pace", "Change Your Best", "Elite" all sound exactly like the corporate-speak gobbledygook I've heard a million times in meetings and presentations. He needs to work in "Think Outside the Box" and "That's the Challenge!".

Straight from the handbook of cliches used by every motivational speaker, ever.

But, hey... "the kids like it", so... I'm on board! Let's Row The Boat!

In the end, I believe Fleck will be very successful here. He's already impressed me. But it ain't because of his sloganeering.

I got in the following:

"Race to MAHturity"
"Prefontaine Pace"
"Change Your Best"
"I'm not for everyone"
"Elite" (three times)

I bet the callback was because they felt loved.

When you go in, pipe wrench time.

If this was a hardware store or plumbing apprentice interview I see no problem.

Also, you could explain to them how you are a nekton or are in the farmer's alliance.

Last edited:

As for our student athletes actually aspiring to these ideals, my impression is they are almost certainly highly motivated and likely very good potential employees.

If this was a hardware store or plumbing apprentice interview I see no problem.

Also, you could explain to them how you are a nekton or are in the farmer's alliance.

Oooh, good ones. Challenge accepted on my 2nd interview.

No offense, but I hope it isn't at my company. We have enough people who use corporate hot phrases and words in place of answering your question.

*Not a shot at PJ, he is in the business of motivating young people and keeping energy levels high.

Last edited:

No offense, but I hope it isn't at my company. We have enough people who use corporate hot phrases and words in place of answering your question.

*Not a shot at PJ, he is in the business or motivating young people and keeping energy levels high.

I work for a large company and it's really really really bad. We have meetings about nothing but that corporate jargon. Drives me nuts. Just let me do my work

I work for a large company and it's really really really bad. We have meetings about nothing but that corporate jargon. Drives me nuts. Just let me do my work

This post shows an understanding of a culture that values agility, adaptability and a collaborative based focus on solutions.

I thought you worked in the football offices?

This post shows an understanding of a culture that values agility, adaptability and a collaborative based focus on solutions.

:clap:

This type of word vomit is physically painful to read. Funny because I far too often come across dreck like this from the highest offices.

Last edited:

I thought you worked in the football offices?

Not sure if this is a joke or not, but I have never worked for the athletic department in any capacity. Just have a passion for NCAA athletic scholarship rules and regulations.

Well done! Next interview:

Difficult conversations for breakfast
It's not a chip on my shoulder -- it's a crack
King of the too's -- too short, too slow, etc

I could at least tolerate PJisms as it would be fun.

I could at least tolerate PJisms as it would be fun.

Companies hire coaches all the time as motivational speakers, including PJ himself. They can't be mad if it actually rubs off on someone.

I could see where PJism can cause a guy to run through a brick wall. Why, the Japanese preached "we-ness" culture to motivate Kamikazee pilots.

You saw that PJ Fleck dynamics in the pep talk he gave the team in the game against the Badgers.
"Don't be afraid to be a legend!"

Last edited:

You saw that PJ Fleck dynamics in the pep talk he gave the team in the game against the Badgers.
"Don't be afraid to be a legend!"

If I were a real estate agent or timeshare salesman I would make this my corporate speak. In his exact tone and volume. Coffee's for legends.

Your resume better be solid to be using those terms. You might be better served to start using them “after” you get in the door. If you can use them without coming off like an arrogant prick, then I suppose you are OK. Some are good I suppose, and some would be red flags if I were hiring.

Last edited:

Your resume better be solid to be using those terms. You might be better served to start using them “after” you get in the door. If you can use them without coming off like an arrogant prick, then I suppose you are OK. Some are good I suppose, and some would be red flags if I were hiring.

You're clearly not a real Gopher fan.

/s

:clap:

This type of word vomit is physically painful to read. Funny because it is far too often to come across dreck like this from the highest offices.

Too often heard from sales leaders and executives as well.

Last year one of our guys started using the word " attract new logos" a lot. I guess that means "get new customers".

Too often heard from sales leaders and executives as well.

Last year one of our guys started using the word " attract new logos" a lot. I guess that means "get new customers".

Oh for fox sake...the new CEO who was part of my last company tanking used this ridiculous phrase a lot. It actually kinda cuts to the core of how it's seen, which is to beef up a company's portfolio rather than caring much about results for clients or customers.

Top Bottom