Anyone in favor of extending Fleck and making him one of the highest

Assuming he can rack up a 10 win season here, he gone. I'm sure he will spurn a huge offer from the U to go to a bigger media market. Obviously PJ loves the spotlight and there are much brighter lights elsewhere. All we can do is say thanks for the ride, its been really fun so far.

Hard to find in college football as far as helmet schools go. Larger fan bases, more program interest, higher coach salary....yes; however, media market....not so much.

We beat Wisconsin once in the last 2000 years, we beat a bad Georgia state team in a exhibition game and we are 5-0 against weak competition, all positive. November will say a lot about the real PJ Fleck and if he is a "coach". If we can get to the BIG championship, maybe win it or go to a decent Jan 1 bowl, then we can talk a light extension. Win next year then we can talk more seriously about it. It might not matter what money is offered or how the contract may play out, it might be Fleck is looking for a bigger job.

Yep. Pay the man.

tenor.gif

Assuming he can rack up a 10 win season here, he gone. I'm sure he will spurn a huge offer from the U to go to a bigger media market. Obviously PJ loves the spotlight and there are much brighter lights elsewhere. All we can do is say thanks for the ride, its been really fun so far.

Or maybe, just maybe the U isn't a stepping stone job and he will realize he can compete for championships at a place that has embraced his row the boat culture and will back him along the way. We are not a MAC school where their coaches get poached all the time. Time to let go of the Lou Holtz drama and stop assuming that our coach is going to abandon us the moment he has some success.

Sort of Risk Reward, Let's say that 90% of the likely outcomes this year lie between 7-5 and 10-2. If you wait and the season goes towards the south end of that, probably save some money,but if we get to 10 wins this year and have to sign after that, it's going to cost a lot more.

If Fleck wins the B1G West, the first thing Coyle should do is offer him an extension and raise. Fleck needs to know the U will take care of him for being successful. More money for coordinators and coaches should be part of it.

Or maybe, just maybe the U isn't a stepping stone job and he will realize he can compete for championships at a place that has embraced his row the boat culture and will back him along the way. We are not a MAC school where their coaches get poached all the time. Time to let go of the Lou Holtz drama and stop assuming that our coach is going to abandon us the moment he has some success.

This is kind of where I am at too. Not saying PJ wouldn't leave for a "better" opportunity but the fact is there just aren't that many college football jobs better than a head football coach in the Big 10.

Someone smarter than me can figure this out, but how many P5 coaches have left directly to another P5 job. I can only think of Franklin going from Vanderbilt to Penn State. I am sure there are others but can't think of them...

This is an area I can add something to, since I have experience.

You need to strike before interest heats up and you find yourself in negotiations that include several other Helmet Schools. It's more efficient at this point and the bidding for his talents are minimal right now (middle of season and still mostly under the radar). Coyle has some goal and objectives that have needed to be reached by now ... and in most circumstances those have been met and exceeded (see APR). The relationship between Fleck and Coyle is good at this point, but you wait and suddenly other schools get in the mix (all making promises, throwing dollars, and overall sweetening the pot).

Shut everyone down before other schools come calling.

Look at this transaction like buying stocks. Do your research, enter in at lower levels and buy and hold before the hype. Once the news is out, it's too late.

Yeah, no. Prove it season for Fleck. He is paid handsomely for the results thus far. I've said since before last season that this would be the year for him to get 9+ wins and then Coyle will back up the brinks truck. There are very few "helmet" schools who target Fleck. Said last year I thought the only high profile schools that would have interest might be USC and UCLA.

This is kind of where I am at too. Not saying PJ wouldn't leave for a "better" opportunity but the fact is there just aren't that many college football jobs better than a head football coach in the Big 10.

Someone smarter than me can figure this out, but how many P5 coaches have left directly to another P5 job. I can only think of Franklin going from Vanderbilt to Penn State. I am sure there are others but can't think of them...

Jimbo Fisher FL St > TAMU
Willie Taggert OR > FL St

The two that come to mind.

This is an area I can add something to, since I have experience.

You need to strike before interest heats up and you find yourself in negotiations that include several other Helmet Schools. It's more efficient at this point and the bidding for his talents are minimal right now (middle of season and still mostly under the radar). Coyle has some goal and objectives that have needed to be reached by now ... and in most circumstances those have been met and exceeded (see APR). The relationship between Fleck and Coyle is good at this point, but you wait and suddenly other schools get in the mix (all making promises, throwing dollars, and overall sweetening the pot).

Look at this transaction like buying stocks. Do your research, enter in at lower levels and buy and hold before the hype. Once the news is out, it's too late.

Totally agree. Now's the time, with a large buyout that keeps him from jumping.

I've been watching Gopher Football since the Lou Holtz days and I must say offering Fleck a raise/extension right now is ludicrous. Every time the Gophers seem to be on the rise you hear people talking about how great the coach is, and how we need to throw money at him to keep him from being the next 'Holtz' who leaves for a better job.

Mason was our best coach in my lifetime, and the best he did was almost win the Big Ten. He should be our average coach, not our best over 3+ decades. Fleck hasn't even reached that level.

Even Brewster had fans talking when he started his second season 7-1 (after going 1-11 in his first), but he lost the rest of those games and finished his MN career 7-18 from there. Fleck is 5-0 in his third season, but outside of Rutgers may not win another game all year. Three upcoming opponents are ranked, and another three beat us last year by two, three, and four scores.

He should earn extensions and/or raises at the end of given seasons, not after the soft part of the schedule.

I certainly think we should try as hard as we can to keep him, if the team finishes this season well. But I'm pretty confident hes gonna bolt for a helmet school once they back up a dump truck full of cash to his Edina manor. Perhaps he would want to stay in one place for a while since he has a gaggle of children. He bolted out of Kalamazoo as soon as he had a really successful season, why wouldn't he do the same thing here? I think UCLA, Tennesee, and Michigan would be alluring to him.

I'm hearing rumors that a contract extension is already on the table at the moment. Somewhere in the 5mil/year for 4 years.
This would put him just below brohm at purdue and is pretty middle of the road.

Rumors for now, but if it is true, count me on the side that likes it.

So we have:
Mason - Kansas to Minnesota (1997)
Saban - Michigan State to LSU (2000)
Ty Willingham - Stanford to Notre Dame (2002)
Kiffin - Tennessee to USC (2010)
Bielema - Wisconsin to Arkansas (2013)
Mullen - Mississippi State to Florida (2018)
Taggert - Oregon to FSU (2018)
Fisher - FSU to A&M (2018)

So it happens more often than I thought, but still not frequently.

I'm hearing rumors that a contract extension is already on the table at the moment. Somewhere in the 5mil/year for 4 years.
This would put him just below brohm at purdue and is pretty middle of the road.

Rumors for now, but if it is true, count me on the side that likes it.

Looking at the patterns out there for coaching contracts.

I suspect that there's a constant flow of on the table offers that aren't momentous events as much as just a constant flow / reflect the state of the program.

So we have:

Thought of some more:

Rich Rodriguez UWV to Mich (2008)
Todd Graham Pitt to ASU (2012)
Houston Nutt Arkansas to Ole Miss (2008)

Last edited:

So we have:

Based on the number of P5 HC openings every year, its a small possibility...like 2.5% of the openings.

<b>This is an area I can add something to, since I have experience. </b>

So, based on your experience you are saying it would be cheaper to sign him if we aren’t in a bidding war with other schools? Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. Let's put this in perspective. This, to the best of my knowledge, is the current status of Fleck's contract, which runs through 2023. His original deal from 2017 was 5 years, $18 million total. He signed a 1-year extension in 2018. that takes us up to the present. (per the Strib)

BASE SALARIES PER SEASON
2019: $3.6 million
2020: $ 3.65 million
2021: $3.7 million
2022: $3.75 million
2023: $3.8 million

BUYOUTS
If he’s fired: Amount owed to Fleck if the Gophers fire him ...
on Jan. 1, 2020: $9M
on Jan. 1, 2021: $5.5M
on Jan. 1, 2022: $3M
on Jan. 1, 2023: $1.5M

If he leaves for another job: Amount Fleck owes the Gophers if he leaves ...
before 2020 season: $4M
before 2021 season: $3M
before 2022 season: $2M
before 2023 season: $1M
Note: Buyouts are prorated, if termination occurs midyear.

So we have:

Anderson - Wisconsin to Oregon State (2015)
Riley - Oregon State to Nebraska (2015)
Tuberville - Ole Miss to Auburn (1998)
Franklin - Vandy to Penn State (2013)

I'm sure there are others we're forgetting about.

If you think about it, that's a fair amount, because only the top tier schools can generally pull someone from another P5 school, and those jobs don't open every day. Not like say Kansas or Colorado or NC State is going to hire Fleck away.

I'm OK with a modest raise and extension (believe he was given one last year already). But to put him on par with Franklin or Harbaugh is laughable at this point. As Gibson mentioned, Brew was 7-1 in his second season. People believed he was the next coming of Murray Warmath. Would you have been happy to have extended him at a rate to make him one of the highest paid coaches?

I'm not comparing Fleck and Brew, I'm just saying a lot of things can happen the next couple years. If you go all in on Fleck and it doesn't work out, it's going to hamstring the program with the money they'd pay out. If you don't go all in and he's hired away, that means the team is in pretty good shape, and it should be fairly easy to hire another desirable coach to come in. I don't think locking up Fleck is the most essential thing right now.

Yes, should they win the West or more, of course you need to compensate him. But until that point, they should be anteing to stay in the game, not going all in.

Last edited:

The correct answer is: Beat Wisconsin again, then HELL YES!!

Top Bottom