The Gophers receive a commitment from Butler JUCO linebacker Juwan Mitchell

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Butler junior college linebacker Juwan Mitchell. A native of Middletown, NJ, Mitchell held offers from Rutgers, New Mexico and Chattanooga, among others. He originally committed to Rutgers, but opened up his recruitment. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound middle linebacker posted 55 tackles (7.5 for loss) and two sacks last year at Butler. He is the sixth player committed to Minnesota’s 2020 recruiting class. He ranks No. 8 nationally and No. 1 at inside linebacker among junior college players, according to 24/7 Sports. He recently took a visit to Minnesota and adds additional depth to the Gophers’ linebacker group.

Stay tuned for more content on this addition. Until then, here's his film:

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/11291427/5ba8385eb0232508d8b712fc' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Let’s hope JuJu turns out better than JewJew did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't read too much into the juco player ratings at this point, there are only 11 guys that are rated on 247.

I wouldn't read too much into the juco player ratings at this point, there are only 11 guys that are rated on 247.

And only 10 of those 11 actually exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice pickup. Brings in a mature LB presence for the post Carter and Martin era.

I'm surprised we're hitting the transfer portal for 2020.
PJ must have changed his mind on this some.

I'm thinking they must think this guy is crazy good. This is a Juco that is 18 months away.

They must love him.

His play recognition on his tape is pretty impressive! Also looks fast. Welcome aboard! Juwan!

I'm thinking they must think this guy is crazy good. This is a Juco that is 18 months away.

They must love him.

He would sign in December as part of the 2020 class and be on campus in January. So about 8 months.

I've seen some say he has 4 years to play 3. But won't this fall be his 2nd year of JUCO ball?

Thanks guys. The older I get, the more easily confused I get.

Why doesn't he just classify into 2019 and practice/play for the Gophers next year?

What's the reason for staying at JUCO next year if the Gophers already want him and think he can be accepted into school here? To earn a degree from Butler CC that will become irrelevant as soon as he hopefully graduates from the U? There's plenty of time to get him over to the U even in time for summer classes. 'Splain it to me, please.

Why doesn't he just classify into 2019 and practice/play for the Gophers next year?

What's the reason for staying at JUCO next year if the Gophers already want him and think he can be accepted into school here? To earn a degree from Butler CC that will become irrelevant as soon as he hopefully graduates from the U? There's plenty of time to get him over to the U even in time for summer classes. 'Splain it to me, please.

Don't we still need some transfers for the guys that are already signed? I'm assuming that has something to do with it. This exact situation actually came up last year when Ahmad McCullough committed to our 2019 class then joined Maryland in their 2018 class.

He would sign in December as part of the 2020 class and be on campus in January. So about 8 months.

I meant seeing the field for 18 months.

It seems awful early for a Juco so I'm thinking they love the guy.

Could be they think 2020 will be really good so looking to bring in some additional depth that will be ready to go to help bolster the roster. I wouldn't really read too much into it.

He was committed to Rutgers as a 2019 so I agree the moving parts in this situation are all a bit confusing. Was he a non-qualifier out of high school? Went JUCO to get better offers?

How many spots (~) are projected open for the 2020 class? Surely PJ and Co can’t be planning 25 player classes in perpetuity?

Regardless, welcome

I would be willing to bet that he is a non-qualifier so needs the JC degree. Bring him in Jan. 2020 so that he could help us get ready for the Bowl game as Alabama does every year.

Top Bottom