***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Which coach was reasonable for this game plan? We have yet to change our offensive game plan to any team. Number one reason Pitino should not be our future coach. Go back to his initial introductory press conference. He promised an exciting brand of basketball and many adjustments. We have gotten nothing in six years.

I was writing something similar to this and then deleted it. I agree with you brother. As a fan I expect a game plan to at least compete. There wasn’t a plan. It’s the same offense every game. It’s cringeworthy.

Which coach was reasonable for this game plan? We have yet to change our offensive game plan to any team. Number one reason Pitino should not be our future coach. Go back to his initial introductory press conference. He promised an exciting brand of basketball and many adjustments. We have gotten nothing in six years.

Please identify our offensive game plan -- in any game. I haven't seen one.

40% of our made 3s were bank shots. We were 100% on bank-shot 3 pointers. We need to bank in more 3s, lol.

Stull, Omersa and Hurt all provide absolutely nothing. McBrayer looks like he’ll never make another 3 point shot and Coffee looked disinterested beyond belief. Have to win these next two games or there is no chance we go dancing. If that’s the case idk how we aren’t looking for a new coach this offseason, unfortunately. Only bright spots on this team are the two freshman.

Please identify our offensive game plan -- in any game. I haven't seen one.

Pass ball around the perimeter. Wait until the Izzone starts counting. Fling ball blindly at basket.

If this team is going to make more 3s, catch and shoot guys like Gabe need more kick outs. Need to wait for the double on one of our posts and a kick out or dribble drive kick outs. We do not create enough space on 3s and clearly the gophs are not good at contested 3s.

Ugh. This team is so poorly coached. They have no plan on offense. Also, why are Stull and Omersa playing? They provide literally nothing.

Well mainly because they have so many guys who provide nothing that if they didn't play any of them, they couldn't field a team.

Oturu is definitely something to build on. Great composure in the post and really nice touch.

Stull, Omersa and Hurt all provide absolutely nothing. McBrayer looks like he’ll never make another 3 point shot and Coffee looked disinterested beyond belief. Have to win these next two games or there is no chance we go dancing. If that’s the case idk how we aren’t looking for a new coach this offseason, unfortunately. Only bright spots on this team are the two freshman.

Omursa are least provides some athleticism.

Give MSU some credit. They came out firing on all cylinders. Like Dan said...they were not going to lose this game!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Give MSU some credit. They came out firing on all cylinders. Like Dan said...they were not going to lose this game!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well the good thing is we are coming off of a three game losing streak and playing Nebraska so we should be primed for a win!!

Well the good thing is we are coming off of a three game losing streak and playing Nebraska so we should be primed for a win!!

Nebraska will be coming in on a 7 game losing streak....

So we should beat them I would think. If we lose to Nebraska, then I don't think they will make the tournament.

Yeah, you'd think........ lulz. If they lose to Nebraska there is no "thinking" they won't make the tournament. They won't, period. They probably won't with a win.

Last edited:

He’s too busy to build a game plan. Complaining about NET rankings has taken up most of his time

Not the kind of performance you want when you are broadcast nationwide on ESPN......

Team is in dangerous territory with the potential to descend into lethal tailspin. Upperclassmen need to step up and Pitino needs to get the team psychology right in addition to making some adjustments with the decent but certainly not awesome roster.

Coffey should not play another minute today

Team is in dangerous territory with the potential to descend into lethal tailspin. Upperclassmen need to step up and Pitino needs to get the team psychology right in addition to making some adjustments with the decent but certainly not awesome roster.

Agreed. Hope Curry can play Wednesday

I really don't expect that to happen, but the Nebraska game is a must win. If they don't get that one, they're in trouble.

Catching Michigan State on a 3-game losing streak at home was bound to be a disaster.

But my God, I cannot believe the lack of conversation for how awful Amir Coffey was today. Congratulations, your best play was a transition dunk when you were down 21 in the second half. He was a spectator on the court in the first half, other than 3 fouls. Didn't do anything defensively, took bad shots on offense and felt zero need to assert himself when MSU got off to a hot start early. You want to be an NBA prospect, and you stand around and do nothing in the first half? Take over the game like you're capable of, and maybe you're not down 21-5 to start.

You knew the Spartans would play with energy to start, but the Gophers weathered the storm after the first 8 minutes.

Coffey has to be the best player on the floor for the Gophers to win, and he was just simply atrocious and disinterested today. I almost wish Pitino would sit him until the under 16 timeout at Nebraska just to send him a message.

What is particularly sad is that this is not a very good MSU team IMO. They will get lit up in the NCAA tournament this year.

Sometimes if the opponent plays horrible the other teams level of play comes down and they play closer to that lower level unintentionally. No idea if that was it but I agree with you...Michigan St was not impressive today.
Other than Ward is there anybody on their team you wish was a Gopher....besides Izzo?

McQuaid had 18 points today but in 7 of his 21 games played (one third) he has averaged 3.4 ppg in roughly an average of 30 minutes of playing time. So, he is not exactly a rock...after his 18 points today he averages 8.3 ppg in 28.7 minutes in those 21 games. We have a group guys who do that.

Cassius Winston is their other top player in most games...after that, who is wow?

Gosh we were bad from so many aspects. We are behind and I don't know what to do today so let's play Stull, Hurt and Omersa today. Both Stull and Hurt will not shoot unless they hear Mom screaming "Shoot IT!!!"...great remedy idea to score points. And Omersa plays with energy but also is unlikely to score on anything but a dunk.

Today's Gopher offense was an illustration of John Wooden's quote: Don't mistake activity for achievement." We had movement today but truly our guys have no idea, no purpose to their movement. We do not recognize or understand offensive opportunity. (This link requires a subscription to ESPN+...worth it) http://www.espn.com/watch/player?bucketId=3&id=b5a87e28-6285-4ec9-a8cd-806a18413aa9 But it so perfectly illustrates some things our guys are clueless about. It's Kobe talking about where you go and why, how you space the floor, the angles you use and why to gain advantage etc All things that can definitely be taught and learned by an excellent teacher. Coach K's guys get it because they have been coached...yes, they are amazingly talented but it's another ESPN+ series with insights to effective team basketball. I think it's free for 30 days if you cancel prior. (the link probably won't work...if get into ESPN+ go to the Series category > in that is Detail with a picture of Peyton Manning talking about QB's and their reads, keys....Kobe is in that section of Detail > Scroll down it's not on screen > Link is to last video WNBA Finals --- Then somebody get it to Richard lol....It's amazing the layers of basketball you become aware of coaching and relentlessly trying to improve your knowledge. Kobe has amazing knowledge! He makes it seem simple listening to him...and it could be if you developed drills to teach it.

Last edited:

Ive lived out of state since I left the U in the mid 90s, so no, I don't have season tickets. But I travel to multiple games per year. So I guess when you add my travel expenses, our "investment" isn't so far off. Regardless, I'm just not going to cheer against the team mid-season when we will still make the tournament and win a game

I like the confidence and hope it happens. The two freshmen have been the best two way players on the team the past few games (positivity that can be mustered).

Coffey is so bad so much of the time. He's more frustrating than Ralph Sampson. Ralph always felt like he topped out in 4th gear and couldn't be bothered to give you 5th gear more than once per season. But at least he was fairly consistent. Coffey gives you 5th gear once every 5 games and second gear the other 4.

I honestly don't think Ralph III ever got out of neutral. But Coffey has to give more consistent effort and leadership for this team to do anything, especially with the amount of time he has the ball in his hands. The offense runs through him.

I honestly don't think Ralph III ever got out of neutral. But Coffey has to give more consistent effort and leadership for this team to do anything, especially with the amount of time he has the ball in his hands. The offense runs through him.
This is a good point, and a problem at the core of our offense. Coffey is a bit too random, streaky and manages to make some low percentage shots that we'd be better off without him taking. The offense runs through him, but he doesnt run the offense.

Top Bottom