All-Time Gopher Coaching Records

Certainly enjoyed the last 4 games this year more than any stretch in the 2016 year. Winning back the axe was also freaking awesome. The 7 wins this year were great and the Wisc win counts as 2. But the blow out losses to Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois were ugly. Not once in the 2016 season did we have a game where we were completely outmatched like those three games.
The games we did lose in 2016 were frustrating, because we were oh so close to winning each and every one of them.
I'd take another 9 win season just like '16 this coming year.

Absolutely.

JG is obviously deflecting (switching the entire point of the original posting), but yeah, the WI wins means more to me than any game, heck, any two games in 2016. However, that wasn't his point in the initial posting.

They beat Purdue pretty soundly in 2016.

You need to add more qualifiers to your initial post. We get what you're getting at, but you're getting sloppy.

*In two full seasons
*Where they beat GT by a lot
*Where they beat Fresno State
* Beating Purdue by 10+ doesn't matter
* Not counting Oregon State wins

I'm not adding any qualifiers - I'm making a separate point that as a fan, despite some of the bad losses this year, I enjoyed the overall season much more than 2016. Watching us win live in Madison was one of my all-time Gopher highlights.

Absolutely.

JG is obviously deflecting (switching the entire point of the original posting), but yeah, the WI wins means more to me than any game, heck, any two games in 2016. However, that wasn't his point in the initial posting.

Should I start a separate thread to discuss which season fans enjoyed more? Or a poll?

I'm not adding any qualifiers - I'm making a separate point that as a fan, despite some of the bad losses this year, I enjoyed the overall season much more than 2016. Watching us win live in Madison was one of my all-time Gopher highlights.

Absolutely!

On the other hand, getting blown out (not just beaten) by Maryland, a then-winless Nebraska team, and a putrid Illinois squad, well... let's just say that the problem which caused those debacles has been addressed, and leave it at that.

Brace yourself, because in 2019 we're going to beat Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season. Book it.

Cool. We're in agreement with your entire point of this thread.

If Fleck wins 8 games next season and has a winning percentage of .541, he is in rarefied territory.

So winning 9 games and having a winning percentage of .579 is beyond elite.

Should I start a separate thread to discuss which season fans enjoyed more? Or a poll?

I don't care what you post. You don't need my permission. I just like watching you dig around and deflect, it's funny.

We all want PJ Fleck to be successful here. I am a little more confident in his ability and I believe he can be that guy that can take us to the next level. He started out looking and talking a lot like Tim Brewster and that turned a lot of people off but the more that I see him the more I think this guy has substance to back up the smack. A lot of people think he took over a team that Claeys left in good shape but this guy had to rebuild massive holes at OL, DL, and WR. The defensive secondary was in shambles due to the scandal and of course he inherited one scholarship QB who could not throw. I think next year will be the true test for Fleck as he will come in with slightly raised expectations and most of the team will be his players. All Gopher fans would sure like to see the team continue to ascend in the victory column but time will tell. This might be the most optimistic I have been coming into a season since Glen Mason was here.

I think the best coach we ever had here in my lifetime was Lou Holtz. While other coaches brought their plusses and minuses he was the real deal and obviously won a national championship a few years after leaving us. He could recruit with the best of them but he was a master at motivating and drawing up a game plan to win a big game. If he had stayed a few more years here we would have made it to the Rose Bowl. Kill and Claeys were great tacticians but I don't know if they would have been able to land the top recruits needed to take it to the next level. Mason drove all of us crazy -- he was a good coach and I loved his offense but he really needed help on defense and was therefore subject to late game meltdowns. Salem and Stoll could have done better with more support, Wacker was all offense Gutey was as dry as dust and Brewster was a disaster.

Fleck is awfully interesting - he really has a chance to do something very big here and I will take that for now. Time will tell if things get a lot better here. Hope so!!

So if Fleck gets bonus points for beating WI, how many bonus points does Warmath get for winning a National Championship and a Rose Bowl?

How about this - when Fleck is done coaching at the U - whenever that happens - then we can look at his total record, and compare it to other coaches.

What's next - ranking coaches by "best four-game segment after switching defensive coordinators?"

I don't care what you post. You don't need my permission. I just like watching you dig around and deflect, it's funny.

yeah, this is the first time in GH history multiple topics were discussed in the same thread. And I haven't moved off my initial point at all - I only discussed 2016 because you brought it up. But that's funny and I'm deflecting...

You can feel free to start a thread Bob and state an opinion. Try it for once...

yeah, this is the first time in GH history multiple topics were discussed in the same thread. And I haven't moved off my initial point at all - I only discussed 2016 because you brought it up. But that's funny and I'm deflecting...

You can feel free to start a thread Bob and state an opinion. Try it for once...

You are a sensitive fella.

It was a deflect because according to the logic of your initial post, Tracy Claeys should be a Gopher legend. Several people pointed that out to you and you said essentially "well, PJ beat WI". This is true and great, but it really has nothing to do with your main point. Well, your alleged main point. So, you deflected the absurd logic of your first point when it was pointed out to you that by your logic Tracy Claeys is in better than rarefied territory.

As to starting threads, I do, but not too often. You see, it's the offseason and I don't really have a particular gear to grind.

I really hate when Swingman starts threads with obvious agendas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JG, I like where your heart is but your brain has a ways to go. To be considered great IMO the wins must be over an extended period of time. In the case of Minnesota it must also be the trophy games which Fleck has a done just okay. BUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkipIRLKDGk&t=4285s

That be one hell of a fine start. Keep it up JG, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Top Bottom