STrib: Selling naming rights to Mariucci and Williams Arena is a 'possibility'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand Ball:

A Gophers athletics official told me the U of M (much like other schools) is looking at various potential revenue streams. While there are no plans anytime soon to remove Mariucci and Williams from the building names, the official said adding a sponsor name to those buildings and their existing names is a “possibility” that would be determined on a case-by-case basis.

So yes, it does sound like naming rights could be coming to those hallowed arenas — not as a replacement for the existing names but rather in addition to them.

The first instinct might be to recoil at the idea of a bank or other major corporation (for instance) adding its name to Mariucci Arena or Williams Arena. Those arrangements tend to sound clunky, such as “Alaska Airlines Field at Husky Stadium,” as the University of Washington’s football stadium was renamed a couple year ago.

Altering an existing name to add a corporate name, though, does feel different — offering a stark reminder of how much sports, even at the college level, have become big business.

The guess here is that, like Tanick wrote, changes to Mariucci and Williams are inevitable (and probably sooner than later). If the plan was to wipe out those names entirely, there would be an outcry. Instead, whenever it happens, the outrage level will only reach a collective grumble and fans will just keep on calling the buildings by their old names.

http://www.startribune.com/sell-nam...nd-williams-arena-is-a-possibility/422751704/

Go Gophers!!

Get ready for Minnesota Corn Growers Association Court at Williams Arena! I'm stoked!

At least sell it to Land O' Lakes so it's not so obvious.

Here is the thing. Land O Lakes donated $25M and all they got was their name on one building in the training facility. A former Cargill CEO donated $15M, and nothing was named after him that I am aware of. Getting naming rights for Williams Arena better be enough to pay for some substantial renovations. Better be $75-100M range.

I dont like renaming either, but if it gets changed to Target Court at Williams Arena. Are any fans ever going to call it anything but Williams Arena or The Barn? The only people that will call it the full name with sponsorship will be on TV, print media, and on the side of the building. I am a pretty big college football fan and watched my share of Washington football games. I had no idea their stadium was anything other than Husky Stadium.

Here is the thing. Land O Lakes donated $25M and all they got was their name on one building in the training facility. A former Cargill CEO donated $15M, and nothing was named after him that I am aware of. Getting naming rights for Williams Arena better be enough to pay for some substantial renovations. Better be $75-100M range.

$75-100M would be pretty crazy. The TCF deal was $35M over 25 years (a decade ago), the Husky Stadium naming rights was $41M over 10 years (2 years ago). Illinois has the State Farm Center (Assembly Hall) and is getting $60M over 30 years, which I think is the biggest naming rights deal in a solely-collegiate stadium or arena today, in terms of total value. To go at least 25% higher than that would be exceptional.

Comparing it to charitable works is not being realistic. Those were donations, this would be a marketing deal.

With more and more cable cutters, I think the writing is on the wall that the giant TV paydays for The Big Ten Network may be in the rearview mirror (see what is happening at ESPN). If so, they are going to be looking for more revenue to replace TV contracts.

With more and more cable cutters, I think the writing is on the wall that the giant TV paydays for The Big Ten Network may be in the rearview mirror (see what is happening at ESPN). If so, they are going to be looking for more revenue to replace TV contracts.

If that happens it's not going to be for a while. The B1G TV deal that was just signed earlier this year guarantees it. We got about $32M from media deal last year, and conservative estimates based on the new contract put it at well north of $50M per school in the final year of the contract which is 2022-23.

Networks will struggle to make it work, sport entities will still reap huge rewards. It's the only thing Americans will pay big bucks for.

LA Coliseum is selling its naming rights to United Airlines but will keep the Coliseum name in the name. 15 years - $70 million

The LA Coliseum is a much more iconic and historic venue than Williams and especially Mariucci.

LA Coliseum is selling its naming rights to United Airlines but will keep the Coliseum name in the name. 15 years - $70 million

The LA Coliseum is a much more iconic and historic venue than Williams and especially Mariucci.

Barf

I accept no name that isn't related to the barnyard.

John Deere, Case/IH, Pepperidge Farms, Cargill, Pillsbury, etc., but no corporation that has nothing to do with agriculture.

I accept no name that isn't related to the barnyard.

John Deere, Case/IH, Pepperidge Farms, Cargill, Pillsbury, etc., but no corporation that has nothing to do with agriculture.

Just call it the Hippodrome.

Perhaps, but the ability to restrict access by the big ten may simply cut out the middle man (comcast). Granted the distribution costs will increase, yet the big ten may end receiving more.

Big ten sports is a niche and is not related to the problems exprienced by ESPN. ESPN Failed to control runaway costs while not noticing the increasing competion. MOreover, they got into the politics of sport instead of broadcasting. Matter of fact, ESPN became ESPn by boradcasting the Big East. The Big Ten musty maintain a quality product, but nostalgia will always produce some inelactisicty for college sports even as pro sports waters down their product.

per Sid:

Naming rights at U

Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle was asked about rumors that the Gophers might sell the naming rights to Mariucci Arena.

“As you know with the athletes village and our ‘Nothing Short of Greatness’ campaign, you know we’ve raised over $102 million for our goal, and our goal is to generate revenue that can go back and support our student-athletes,” Coyle said. “When we talked about partnering with the business community, if there’s ways we can respectfully partner with that community and maintain the tradition of our great facilities and our great programs, we’re going to do that.

“Revenue is such a big part of what we’re trying to do. Our budget at Minnesota, we’re eighth in the Big Ten at $105 million. We’re competing against Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, those people that are in that $140-$160 million range. There’s no doubt we need to continue to be innovative and continue to generate revenue to put back into our student-athletes to let us compete at a high level.”

http://www.startribune.com/former-h...g-run-for-penguins-in-nhl-playoffs/425821363/

Go Gophers!!

If he said yes, then he could have saved everybody time from hearing, saying, and reading minutes worth of PR crap.

As a marketer I would never tie my brand or any meaningful spend to naming rights of an iconic arena/stadium like Williams Arena (Mariucci less so), mostly because that name is entrenched in the consumer's mind and any amount of money won't change that. Williams Arena will always be called The Barn, so why waste the money? If naming rights is your thing (and I think it's a dubious marketing practice anyway), go with a new arena/stadium where your brand can grow with the building from scratch (like TCF Bank, Target and US Bank have done locally).

As a marketer I would never tie my brand or any meaningful spend to naming rights of an iconic arena/stadium like Williams Arena (Mariucci less so), mostly because that name is entrenched in the consumer's mind and any amount of money won't change that. Williams Arena will always be called The Barn, so why waste the money? If naming rights is your thing (and I think it's a dubious marketing practice anyway), go with a new arena/stadium where your brand can grow with the building from scratch (like TCF Bank, Target and US Bank have done locally).

My company is called "The Barn" and I've been getting free advertising for decades. If they do this I'm going to be really pissed..

I'm one of the people whom have never called Williams Arena "The Barn". I much prefer Williams Arena. However, a proper remodeling would certainly initiate a move to naming rights.

Mariucci on the other hand carries with it the weighty history of Minnesota hockey and it's fun to say. Even with naming rights, I expect Mariucci to retain his prominent placement.

Let's rename Northrop Auditorium instead. Plenty of revenue to be made there.

Exactly but I don't blame the U if they go for it. People will still call these venues by their original names and they get a ton of money out of it. Good move for the U, not a smart move by the companies.

I'm not so sure. Live sports viewing is still a huge draw. Especially for Big 10 fans.

Top Bottom