Dave Revsine BTN West preview

cfb120

Reaction score
I caught Dave Revsine on the Sirius radio program "Off Campus with Mark Packer" today. Revsine is fresh off the BTN tour of the Big Ten football camps. It was an interesting thing to listen to, he opened up a little more than I suppose he is comfortable doing when on the BTN.
I'll recap the West the best that I can remember.

Wisconsin: He said he was impressed with UW, and that they are vastly improved from what he saw last year, particularly along the defensive front and at QB. He said they could tell UW would struggle last year when they saw them in August, but this team looks much better.

Nebraska: Also impressed with Nebraska. He made it sound like he thought the West would come down to UW and Nebraska. Said Nebraska looked really good on offense, and that Martinez looked like the best QB of all of the BT teams. Thought their defense was behind the offense, and that they would need to win high scoring games.

Minnesota: He started by saying that Minnesota would have no shot at the West if they had UW's crossover schedule, but missing UM, OSU, and MSU would give them a chance. He said that the WR and RB groups were really strong, but was concerned about the QB room. Mentioned there is nothing behind TM. Also was concerned about the defensive front. Seemed a little down on Minnesota.

Iowa and Northwestern: Said both teams are really strong on defense, but the O was concerning for both teams. Run game a concern for Iowa, and QB a concern for the cats. Seemed a little down on these teams too.

Illinois: Mentioned they are improved, but that they were the only West team he sees with no shot at the division. Getting bowl eligible would be a realistic goal.

I missed Purdue.

Keep in mind these guys only saw each team for a day, but that is more than just about anyone else in the country can say.

I know this is irrelevant but go over to the Badger board. They copied your exact summary ��

Yeah the bit about Wisconsin is revisionist history nonsense.

I don’t think he’s saying anything different than most people. He’s projecting quite a lot as we all are. NOBODY, not even the experts have any idea what’s going to happen this year. They have admitted it openly - most wide open race in recent history.

I agree with him on the QB situation. We need Tanner to be a bit better than last year, but just as importantly, stay healthy!!

I tried finding some clips of the 2018 Wisconsin and BTN West clips/previews from the guys and outside of player and coach interviews they appear to have been scrubbed out of existence....

Wisconsin had 4, maybe 5 All-Americans, consensus #1 team in the west and laid an enormous egg. Sure they had some questions on defense but everyone expected them to reload and the offense was supposed to be unstoppable.

Last edited:

Tend to agree with the revisionist history. Our QB was coming off a near perfect game against Miami in our bowl game. Who knew he would become concussed early and often! His back-up was a freshman Coan! We had no Quintez Cephus scandal, Our O-line was very good and experienced. Our defense though young had lost the entire D-line to injury. depth there was bad. We were forced to play a walk-on frosh, and a converted 3rd string o-lineman. Graduation, youth, injuries. A #4 preseason ranking. It was bound to happen. Just hope your QB situation does not get to where we were last year. It makes for a long season. One injury there could spell disaster from a W-L record for the Gophs, However the rest of the team could be better by a lot!

Tend to agree with the revisionist history. Our QB was coming off a near perfect game against Miami in our bowl game. Who knew he would become concussed early and often! His back-up was a freshman Coan! We had no Quintez Cephus scandal, Our O-line was very good and experienced. Our defense though young had lost the entire D-line to injury. depth there was bad. We were forced to play a walk-on frosh, and a converted 3rd string o-lineman. Graduation, youth, injuries. A #4 preseason ranking. It was bound to happen. Just hope your QB situation does not get to where we were last year. It makes for a long season. One injury there could spell disaster from a W-L record for the Gophs, However the rest of the team could be better by a lot!

So with what they said last year, he largely just agrees with what most of the nation is saying it appears.
If they really felt WIS was going to be a bit off last year, there would have been some hint of it. Chances are they may have saw it, but decided to err on the side of safety by going with the popular opinion.
So in the end, Dave Revsine isn't going to upset the Big Ten apple cart with his opinion. He's going to largely agree with the masses until proven differently.

Then next year, he'll say, "when we visited X school, we were really impressed and really thought that team could surprise and win the West!"

Chryst played a player in concussion protocol vs BYU and Michigan? Seems like fans should be outraged. Coan was a relatively touted recruit and wasn’t ready/good. The defensive losses and underperformance was totally unpredictable or ignored by experts that put them in the CFP discussion? Maybe the guys are simply regressing to the mean like similar teams with similar (or more) talent- Iowa, MSU. Expectations had risen to ridiculous and unsustainable levels based on recent history.

Chryst played a player in concussion protocol vs BYU and Michigan? Seems like fans should be outraged. Coan was a relatively touted recruit and wasn’t ready/good. The defensive losses and underperformance was totally unpredictable or ignored by experts that put them in the CFP discussion? Maybe the guys are simply regressing to the mean like similar teams with similar (or more) talent- Iowa, MSU. Expectations had risen to ridiculous and unsustainable levels based on recent history.

I'm just trying to have a discussion. If you are not up to that then we can't have much of a dialogue. All I get from you is I hate the Badgers. Yeah!

I'm just trying to have a discussion. If you are not up to that then we can't have much of a dialogue. All I get from you is I hate the Badgers. Yeah!

Well, I won’t argue with you. This is an argument about predictions and then retrospectively saying oh yeah, totally saw that coming.

Coan was recruited by the likes of Michigan, Miami, Nebraska, many others. I’d guess many fans were pining for him to replace an inconsistent Alex and then when he finally did play...weren’t too thrilled? What was the reaction in Mad Town?

We also lost our opening day QB to injury for 1/3 the year, our top 2 RBs played a total of 3 games, and arguably our best defensive and ST player in the first B1G game last year.

MN has definitely felt this pain before in the last decade or so. Injuries in key defensive positions (like DL) causing underdeveloped players into starting roles. QBs playing through injuries resulting in sub-par play. Scandals resulting in loss of key players.

I agree with him on the QB situation. We need Tanner to be a bit better than last year, but just as importantly, stay healthy!!
The quarterback thing is overblown. Of course we would be worse if we lost our starting quarterback. Every single team in the country would be.

Well, I won’t argue with you. This is an argument about predictions and then retrospectively saying oh yeah, totally saw that coming.

Coan was recruited by the likes of Michigan, Miami, Nebraska, many others. I’d guess many fans were pining for him to replace an inconsistent Alex and then when he finally did play...weren’t too thrilled? What was the reaction in Mad Town?

Jack was a 3 -star recruit. He was a Freshman and had no experience. He carried those offers but it was not a recruiting war to say the least. We recruited Graham Mertz to be the next coming this year. It looks as though Coan has staved off Mertz to start the season. By all accounts he is doing well, however when the bullets start flying we will know. When Coan started playing, the defense was already depleted. He was not ready to be the man when his opportunity came. He was put in the role of a game manager but we needed the QB to be more. Teams stacking the box to stop Taylor hopefully is over.

Jack was a 3 -star recruit. He was a Freshman and had no experience. He carried those offers but it was not a recruiting war to say the least. We recruited Graham Mertz to be the next coming this year. It looks as though Coan has staved off Mertz to start the season. By all accounts he is doing well, however when the bullets start flying we will know. When Coan started playing, the defense was already depleted. He was not ready to be the man when his opportunity came. He was put in the role of a game manager but we needed the QB to be more. Teams stacking the box to stop Taylor hopefully is over.

Hmm, thanks for the update.

Depth issues plague every team, every year. Finally bit ya.

totally understand. Ask Rod Smith what its like to run against 8-9 in the box for several years. Every team can say injuries have a part the weird thing is that Wisconsin (chryst) couldnt get enough depth last year and which I think could be the beginning of the end in Mad Town.

Well, I don't really hate the Badgers (but, I didn't grow up here). To me they are just like any other team who has dominated my chosen team over recent history. I want the Gophers to beat them in order to even the ledger a bit but I don't want the Gophers to beat them any more than I want the Gophers to beat teams like Michigan, Ohio State, or even Iowa (my undergraduate alma mater). Conversely, I don't mind losing to a team like Purdue or Illinois once in awhile because I figure they owe us one.

The adverse circumstances you are describing about last year's Wisconsin team happen to most teams sooner or later. Unless you have one of the most elite teams in the nation, you can expect a down year here and there. Even Ohio State had a 6-7 record in 2011. The Wisconsin football program has done a remarkable job over the last 25 years or so but they've had multiple down years in that stretch. There's also no guarantee that period of sustained success continues indefinitely. See Nebraska (unranked in 9 of the last 13 years).

Top Bottom