Pitino and the state of the program

Recruiting has been mostly mediocre. Not as solid as is being insinuated.

A conference record of 37-65 can’t be simply shrugged off as unlucky.

All coaches have recruiting misses. They happen. But the Konate/Diedhiou for 4 years each was the biggest crippler (on the court).

Let’s finish strong, bag a big scalp or two in Chicago, get at least 1 NCAA tourney win, and get busy getting commitments from some of the really good players in the 2020 class.

All coaches have recruiting misses. They happen. But the Konate/Diedhiou for 4 years each was the biggest crippler (on the court).

Let’s finish strong, bag a big scalp or two in Chicago, get at least 1 NCAA tourney win, and get busy getting commitments from some of the really good players in the 2020 class.

+1 Early recruiting hurt him bad. Very little to build the long term program other than Mason year 2. Better lately and we need to keep upgrading. As you say- let's win some games and build momentum for the program!

I'd argue that with the amount of transfers and world where kids don't redshirt or wait to develop, most programs have to take chances on kids and have a lot of misses, maybe even more than hits,luckily you play 7 out 13 guys 85% of the minutes so it's ok I feel hits are good. Also many of those misses were Kimanis and Conroys guys. I quiestion their ability to evaluate talent. I don't know enough of Lindsteds evaluation ability yet, but Jeter is a great evaluator. Still Richards fault for the hire so he's not clean nor is it an excuse for him.

You may be right. I don't know everything so we'll wait and see but I am not a fan of building a program with a high amount of transfers. Like I said, I like Pitino and will still back him until he isn't here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I completely disagree. Almost every team has bad stretches. Look at MSU right now... they will be fine. So would have last year's Gophers been.

That's a poor comparison. The flaws Minnesota had last year were going to be there all year. Last year was another team that couldn't shoot the ball. Lynch, Coffey, McBrayer, etc. were the the same as this year. Also, Mason was good every 4 games or so. The scoring droughts were going to be long and strong. That's what you were seeing when they were healthy.

The problem with the Pitino people is THEY WON'T BELIEVE WHAT THEIR OWN EYES SEE!

To repeat an earlier post, we would be now working on two straight and maybe looking at a third straight NCAA appearance. .

You know I've heard that reasoning now from a couple of Pitino apologists. "We were on a long-term successful trend but we got derailed by injuries and a critical suspension and that interrupted what would have been a period of sustained success."

How do you know that was a trend? Maybe Pitino was just capable of having one very good season - like some authors are capable of writing one really good book or film makers who are capable of making one very good movie. Surely you've heard of the expression "one-hit wonder" that is applied to musical artists. Maybe Pitino was capable of making one hit but never producing anything else of consequence. Perhaps Pitino is the college basketball equivalent of Norman Greenbaum.

Last edited:

Let’s!

You know I've heard that reasoning now from a couple of Pitino apologists. "We were on a long-term successful trend but we got derailed by injuries and a critical suspension and that interrupted what would have been a period of sustained success."

How do you know that was a trend? Maybe Pitino was just capable of having one very good season - like some authors are capable of writing one really good book or film makers who are capable of making one very good movie. Surely you've heard of the expression "one-hit wonder" that is applied to musical artists. Maybe Pitino was capable of making one hit but never producing anything else of consequence. Perhaps Pitino is the college basketball equivalent of Norman Greenbaum.

That one very good season contained few big victories and not even a top 3 conference finish. I do think it was a good season but damn that non con was weak.

You know I've heard that reasoning now from a couple of Pitino apologists. "We were on a long-term successful trend but we got derailed by injuries and a critical suspension and that interrupted what COULD have been a period of sustained success."

H
ow do you know that was a trend? Maybe Pitino was just capable of having one very good season - like some authors are capable of writing one really good book or film makers who are capable of making one very good movie. Surely you've heard of the expression "one-hit wonder" that is applied to musical artists. Maybe Pitino was capable of making one hit but never producing anything else of consequence. Perhaps Pitino is the college basketball equivalent of Norman Greenbaum.

The statement above is true, it's not an apologist statement

So you are saying that he would have had a bad season with the lineup they started out with? Sure teams have things happen, but not like that. Last year, with any luck would have been very good and an NCAA appearance. Cmon, be fair about it.

So you are saying that he would have had a bad season with the lineup they started out with? Sure teams have things happen, but not like that. Last year, with any luck would have been very good and an NCAA appearance. Cmon, be fair about it.

I do think that the team staying together had a great chance to make the tourney. But laughable to project 14-4 as some suggested. Losing Lynch was not bad luck, he should have been on the team.

It’s not a true statement. It’s an opinion.

No matter how many times you repeat the statement it still won’t make it true.

Last edited:

It’s not a true statement. It’s an opinion.

No matter how many times you repeat the statement it still won’t make it true.

Not provable, but logically true. If you don't think that it is logical that a team ranked 10th in the country when the bottom fell out in terms of injuries and the Lynch suspension, wasn't going to have a good year, then that's your choice. But your choice wouldn't make sense. By the way those who say they saw signs before Lynch was suspended that the team wasn't playing as well as they could, were right. It was already known by Lynch that the situation was under investigation and it no doubt affected his play. He wasn't himself for his last month.

So let me ask you, without the injuries and the Lynch suspension do you think they would have at least made the NCAAs?

I do think that the team staying together had a great chance to make the tourney. But laughable to project 14-4 as some suggested. Losing Lynch was not bad luck, he should have been on the team.

I have said 12-6. I think that's a pretty fair view of that team. I don't understand your last sentence...

Whew I'm glad most of you guys aren't ADs...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If McBrayer was still canning 41% from downtown and Coffey was hitting about 35%, we'd be tough to beat. McBrayer has completely lost his stroke, and Coffey isn't far behind.

So let me ask you, without the injuries and the Lynch suspension do you think they would have at least made the NCAAs?

They should have but also seen Tubby get the 2012-13 team up to #8 in the country and get in the tourney as an 11 seed.

So no, it wasn’t a given

Not provable, but logically true. If you don't think that it is logical that a team ranked 10th in the country when the bottom fell out in terms of injuries and the Lynch suspension, wasn't going to have a good year, then that's your choice. But your choice wouldn't make sense. By the way those who say they saw signs before Lynch was suspended that the team wasn't playing as well as they could, were right. It was already known by Lynch that the situation was under investigation and it no doubt affected his play. He wasn't himself for his last month.

Last years team was on a roll. Projecting them to make the Tourney would be an educated guess and would be highly probable. I believe they would have finished top 3 in big 10 and sweet 16 team.

My opinion

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If McBrayer was still canning 41% from downtown and Coffey was hitting about 35%, we'd be tough to beat. McBrayer has completely lost his stroke, and Coffey isn't far behind.

Maybe the competition improved?

I have said 12-6. I think that's a pretty fair view of that team. I don't understand your last sentence...

Thanks, meant to say he should have never even been on the team. 12-6 was possible and so was 7-11. Reality is 4-14. They all count.

Last years team was on a roll. Projecting them to make the Tourney would be an educated guess and would be highly probable. I believe they would have finished top 3 in big 10 and sweet 16 team.

My opinion

There were threads all over this board about how the gophers don't look right and how something seems different when everyone was healthy last year. In other words, they weren't playing very well. Do you remember this?

I have no idea what roll they were on. Could you refresh my memory? I remember tons of postings on how they miss Akeem Springs. Am I imagining this?

Last edited:

There were threads all over this board about how the gophers don't look right and how something seems different when everyone was healthy last year. In other words, they weren't playing very well. Do you remember this?

I have no idea what roll they were on. Could you refresh my memory? I remember tons of postings on how they miss Akeem Springs. Am I imagining this?
Started the season 14 and 3.

They started 7-0 and were dominating #25 Alabama for that 7th win until the whole 3 man debacle.

The next game was the Miami game, which Dupree missed. Pree hasn't been the same since, and they were not the same team after that loss.

It will be more evident when we lose by 15 in Lincoln.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Suspensions are getting lumped in with bad luck by some people. But I don't consider it bad luck. At some point the coach has to take responsibility for either poor vetting or poor mentorship.

McNeil. Dorsey. Lofton. Lynch. Three guys who were kicked off the team or left and a fourth who missed half a season (and part of an offseason), all in the first five years. It would've been nice to have these guys available for their entire span of eligibility. But you lose these guys and add the recruiting misses, and you get what you get.

The state of the Gopher Basketball team is a total embarrasement. We will not be able to bring in a good coach, because the program has nothing to offer. Maybe coach Molinari will come back. Pitino can not teach/run offense. I am so beaten down as a long time loyal Gopher bb fan. Why do I waste my time and money on this program? Coach Pitino has sealed his fate.

My opinion

No they weren't. Before the injuries and suspensions they lost to Miami. To Arkansas. Got smoked at Nebraska. They barely beat Drake. They barely beat Illinois at home. That team lost it's mojo in the Alabama game. Maybe they would have gotten it back but they hadn't in over a month. They were not a top 10 team or a top 3 B1G team. I think they would have made the tournament. But as a double digit seed.

The state of the Gopher Basketball team is a total embarrasement. We will not be able to bring in a good coach, because the program has nothing to offer. Maybe coach Molinari will come back. Pitino can not teach/run offense. I am so beaten down as a long time loyal Gopher bb fan. Why do I waste my time and money on this program? Coach Pitino has sealed his fate.

Give me a break. It's a B1G job in a major city. And the only D-1 school in the state. They finally have facilities that don't suck. They can get a decent coach. They just have to make the right choice.

I don't think it's over-stating to say Pitino is coaching for his job on Wednesday. I just don't see how they make the NCAA's if they lose that game.

Top Bottom