ESPN: Bill Snyder expected to attend K-State spring practice despite throat cancer

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Hall of Fame Kansas State coach Bill Snyder has been diagnosed with throat cancer but is expected to be on the field for the start of the Wildcats' spring practice next month.

Snyder announced the diagnosis in a lengthy statement Monday, saying that he has been receiving treatment for three weeks and that doctors have "projected a positive outcome."

"I have been diagnosed with throat cancer and have been receiving outpatient treatment at the KU Medical Center for about three weeks and am getting along very well," Snyder said in his statement. "The doctors and staffs at both KU Med and M.D. Anderson [in Houston] have been great; working so very well together to finalize the overall treatment plan which is being conducted in Kansas City. Both 'teams' have projected a positive outcome and have worked out a schedule that allows me to be in Kansas City for my regular treatments and still be back in the office on a regular basis through the first week of March."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-attend-kansas-state-wildcats-spring-practice

Go Gophers!!

Many on this board will speculate Kill or Claeys to K State but the few sources I have at K State tell me that whenever Snyder goes they will almost 99% go someone in house. When they tried to go outside of the Snyder tree in between his two stints as coach, it was a disaster. Jim Leavitt is rumored to have an opt out of his coordinator job at Oregon to be the K State coach (like he would need an opt out, but interesting they put it in).

Many on this board will speculate Kill or Claeys to K State but the few sources I have at K State tell me that whenever Snyder goes they will almost 99% go someone in house. When they tried to go outside of the Snyder tree in between his two stints as coach, it was a disaster. Jim Leavitt is rumored to have an opt out of his coordinator job at Oregon to be the K State coach (like he would need an opt out, but interesting they put it in).
I suspect Brent Venables, Clemson DC and former KSU and Oklahoma DC, would be a better candidate. Leavitt was tarnished by his incident while HC of South Florida.

Very sad. Snyder is one of the great college coaches of all time. Wish him well, but cancer treatment is no picnic.

I suspect Brent Venables, Clemson DC and former KSU and Oklahoma DC, would be a better candidate. Leavitt was tarnished by his incident while HC of South Florida.
Yeah. Not saying they'd take him.

A few fairly prominent K State former athletes I know have told me no way they hire someone without ties to K State

Very sad. Snyder is one of the great college coaches of all time. Wish him well, but cancer treatment is no picnic.

Agree on all accounts. Best wishes to Coach Snyder and speedy recovery. Always enjoy reading the stories about opposing players receiving hand written letters he sends them after competition. He is truly a class act.

A better possibility is, elevation of the current D,C Tom Hayes to HC, with Claeys coming in as DC. It's pure conjecture on my part, but much more believable than Claeys as HC, they just had one of teir Co-Offensive Coordinators retire, so elevating the DC seems more likely.

I'd guess it would be his kid. . . Sean Snyder. He is an associate head coach.

I think that would be a really tough gig (following your legendary father at KState), but I'd guess that is where they would go.

Tracy Claeys becoming a DC for Kansas, I can envision that.

Top Bottom