Offense Schemes

Ewert86PC

Metrodome Era Survivor
Reaction score
What offensive sets/schemes just plain do not work in the Big Ten?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think its really just personnel. You could run anything with the right team and it will work. A bunch of teams can’t currently can’t run a spread offense. But I bet other teams could/will/do and have success.

Not sure there is simply a set or scheme that simply won’t work.

Pro style pass-on-most-downs doesn't seem to work very well - you get basketball scores. Two Nebraska coaches failed at it and so did Jim Wacker at the U.

The having the tutors do home work scheme doesn't work well...

I am a strong believer that any modern offense will work in any conference provided you have the right teachers on staff and the right talent on campus.

Pro style pass-on-most-downs doesn't seem to work very well - you get basketball scores. Two Nebraska coaches failed at it and so did Jim Wacker at the U.

I may be way off, but I would not call Wacker's offense a pro offense.

Yet it worked for Joe Tiller at Purdue so you may need to rethink that assessment. Also believe NW ran a similar one-back offense in late 90’s and had success.

Pass on most downs was a college thing before it was an NFL thing.

When I think "pro style", I think of almost like the west coast offense (Bill Calahan), where it is a lot of the short passing precision type of routes. I don't think of spreading it out and throwing out of the shotgun.

To answer the OP, all systems work, it's about execution.

When I think "pro style", I think of almost like the west coast offense (Bill Calahan), where it is a lot of the short passing precision type of routes. I don't think of spreading it out and throwing out of the shotgun.

Absolutely correct.

In the pro's, the playbooks are huge, but the emphasis is on multi-formations, most of which start with the QB under center, motions & changing plays at the line, multi-routes, running the ball, and finding mismatches between blockers/defenders, runners/defenders, and receivers/coverage in personnel. They don't run these "shotgun every play, throw the ball 50 times a game, Mike Leach" type things, very often. Usually just as a change up, now and then. Unless you have a particular QB that is built to thrive in that situation, like perhaps Cam Newton. But even then, I bet he lines up under center more than shotgun, on average.

And execution is everything. You don't need a fancy/tricky formation. You just line up, wait for a receiver to make a move and break open, then rely on your QB to throw a perfect pass.

Last edited:

As for the Big Ten ... I think you see a spectrum of offensive schemes, and they can work with the right personnel.

Ohio St often has the best athletes in the league, and have a running QB. Wisconsin on the other hand, likes to run the ball.

I would say that the other P5 conferences run the "chuck n duck, shotgun majority" offensives more often, where as the Big Ten has more pro-style schemes, on average. Notable exceptions of course, like Stanford, Alabama, Pitt, and some others.

To me, the biggest difference between the pros & college: In college, a team has an identity & usually sticks to it, at least from week to week. In the NFL, they can & will adapt their offense that game/week to attack a certain place on a defense or opponent.

In terms of the Big Ten, I think all offenses CAN work. Purdue certainly showed that you can play wide open in the Big Ten. I do think in terms of long term success, that type of offense has a bit more difficulty in succeeding. I think you have to be able to succeed at running the ball, one way or another. Ohio State spreads it out, but running the ball is still their meal ticket.

The unpredictability of weather in late October & November plays a part in that. Especially if it's not a typical fall, with the Calcutta Clippers & Lake effects, coming down, in, around & up.....

Well RUTM 75% of the game didnt seem to bode too well for the kill/claeys era

Anything the gophers have used in the last 10 years?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I was thinking Walsh

Over the course of my lifetime, I've seen virtually every possible type of offensive scheme be successful. And I've seen the same schemes fail miserably.

It all comes down to execution and personnel. the right people with the right coaching running the right play.

In the 60's and early 70's, option offenses were the thing - the wishbone, the veer, the triple option. Then, the game opened up, and we started seeing run-and-shoot type offenses. Then things became a bit more balanced. And now, we almost see conferences each having their own identity. B1G tough and physical. Big 12 wide open, 60 passes a game. SEC run-based with some play-action passing. Of course, there are exceptions within each conference.

But, in a nutshell, I would say any scheme can work, if you commit to it 100%, and have the right coaches and the right players to run it. Then, all the coaches will get together at a clinic and brainstorm a way to slow down the new hot offense, and everything will evolve again.

Top Bottom