STrib: Gophers' final nine games offer an opportunity to secure an NCAA at-large bid

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Seven of the Gophers’ final nine Big Ten men’s basketball games are potential “Quadrant 1” victories, the term the NCAA tournament selection committee uses for the most valuable wins.

One signature victory recently got away from Minnesota after it blew a 13-point second-half lead Sunday in a 73-63 loss at Purdue. The Gophers just missed another 12 days earlier, when Michigan’s Charles Matthews hit a buzzer-beater to beat them 59-57.

Minnesota’s remaining schedule, though, is ideal for a team needing more quality victories to feel comfortable on Selection Sunday in March.

“It’s great when you have really good opportunities in front of you,” coach Richard Pitino said. “That’s what it’s all about.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ity-to-secure-an-ncaa-at-large-bid/505394432/

Go Gophers!!

I’m on the record, 5-9 in the last 13 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The opportunities only matter if you take advantage of them. At some point the opportunities run out.

This is how bad of shape the Gophers are in after the debacle tonight: They have 8 games left and need to win at least 4 of them just to make the tournament. Only 3 of those 8 are at home. Of those 3 home games, 2 are against teams better than Wisconsin (and arguably Maryland) who have already won at the Barn.

@Michigan State
@Nebraska
vs Indiana
vs Michigan
@Rutgers
@Northwestern
vs Purdue
@Maryland

If history is any indication with Pitino's teams, they better win one of the next two road games. If not, I see the season effectively ending at home maybe even against Indiana for a 5th loss in a row. Outside of his first season on the job, Pitino has somehow managed to have a 5 game or more losing streak in conference play every single year of his tenure.

I love it when Marcus writes fantasy fiction.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pitino has somehow managed to have a 5 game or more losing streak in conference play every single year of his tenure.

Why do people want him to stay again?

This is how bad of shape the Gophers are in after the debacle tonight: They have 8 games left and need to win at least 4 of them just to make the tournament. Only 3 of those 8 are at home. Of those 3 home games, 2 are against teams better than Wisconsin (and arguably Maryland) who have already won at the Barn.

@Michigan State
@Nebraska
vs Indiana
vs Michigan
@Rutgers
@Northwestern
vs Purdue
@Maryland

If history is any indication with Pitino's teams, they better win one of the next two road games. If not, I see the season effectively ending at home maybe even against Indiana for a 5th loss in a row. Outside of his first season on the job, Pitino has somehow managed to have a 5 game or more losing streak in conference play every single year of his tenure.

They don’t need to win 4 of them to make the tourney.
They could win 3 and then win 1-2 in the BTT and easily make the tourney.

The gophers haven’t lost 3 in a row this season. In fact, this is the first time they’ve lost 2 in a row.

They don’t need to win 4 of them to make the tourney.
They could win 3 and then win 1-2 in the BTT and easily make the tourney.

The gophers haven’t lost 3 in a row this season. In fact, this is the first time they’ve lost 2 in a row.

Coincidentally, these last 9-10 games or so are the first times that we’ve played more than one good team in a row for the most part. And here we are at 4-5 in the stretch and likely going to 4-6 this weekend.

Is this the worst shooting team in Gophers history? Pretty simple why we lost, and it’s the same reason for most of our losses. Outside of Gabe, this is an abysmal shooting bunch. Dupree should not be allowed to shoot one more three this year. His horrible shooting and turnovers cost us this game. He must be a very good defender, because he was an absolute liability on the offensive end. Sad that we lost a game where even slightly BELOW AVERAGE shooting would have won the game. Pitino desperately needs to recruit shooters. The atmosphere in the barn reminded me of last year against Miami. It was loud and electric. Then we laid some more bricks and lost, the same way we lost the Miami game. It is hard not to be depressed.

Top Bottom