PJ Fleck Interview new - Sunday 3-10-19

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB Coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO radio.

Sid: Spring practice should be a lot different than last year.
PJ: different in a good way. we have more depth. have more experience. we'll be handling Spring practice differently. last year we just tried to stay healthy, get to the season. this year the players have handled Jan, Feb, March the right way. they've had tremendous winter conditioning.

Sid: 77% youth on team
PJ: last year we were the youngest team in America. this year we won't be the youngest, but we'll still be in the top 5. trying to build that cultural sustainability. we're young but experienced. got the opportunity to do some things this year and for the future. exciting time for Gopher football, Gopher Athletics.

Sid: very few players will graduate from this year's team.
PJ: we're really young. that doesn't mean we can't be really good. it's where we are in terms of building this culture. build for success in years to come. we're a developmental program. we want to bring in FR and develop them for 4,5 years. we're excited about the future. take one day at a time.

Sid: you'll have more experience next year
PJ: a lot of players played a lot last year. lot of young guys played a lot.

Mona: public access to practice. / large # of FR came in early.
PJ: 4 practices open to public. first one is March 15th, Sid's Birthday. opportunity for fans to come out. want to see a lot of fans. //had 14 players start early. a record at MN. important to have people understand what we're working on. major advantages academically, athletically. they've come in, gone through conditioning. been in weight room for 3 months, work with nutritionist. get jump on academics. it's hard to adjust to college. this lets them adjust without the pressure of a season going on. it's good if guys really want to play their FR year. gives them an opportunity. adjust to the physical, emotional, mental part of college. get a 6-month jump start. real advantages for guys in the way they feel, act.

Max: Junior College going by wayside. because of # of grad transfers
PJH: we do some of it (recruiting JUCO). grad transfers are different -with the portal system, you don't know who's going to be available. you look at your needs. we go after JUCO if you need them. with the portal - can't have contact until they enter the portal. also recruiting JUCO players to fill that need. can relieve that need with a transfer, or just recruit JUCO the best you can.

Sid: different groups are picking you to maybe win the division
PJ: we've come a long way in 2 years. we want to be better today than yesterday. better tomorrow than today. talked to team about pressure. everything we've done this off-season is designed to put pressure on athletes. pressure is earned. shows you're doing something important. we want people to have expectations. I'm excited. a lot of people are noting what we're doing. with young people, they handle things differently. we're training around the word pressure. want to embrace it, not run from it.

Mona: Winfield's younger brother. walk-on?
PJ: Winfield is a tremendous FB player. we want to get his brother here. not allowed to say a lot yet. there are certain people we can't talk about at this time.

Sid: Winfield, two RB's? spring practice.
PJ: might see Smith out there a while. he'll do some RB drills. Shannon is not at that point yet. keep working on rehab. need get those two healthy. they're at two different stages of rehab. need to handle them differently. get them ready for season.

Mona: Winfield? practice more?
PJ: Winfield will practice in spring. at the same time, need to make sure you do everything you can to keep them healthy in terms of reps. We've got a lot of young guys who need reps. But AW has missed a lot of time with injuries. He needs to play some FB. he's excited. excited for his leadership role. fun to watch.

Sid: good plans available for tickets at cheaper prices. buy some season tickets. Murray's.
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers.

Thanks, shorty. Gopher Football is fun again (been a long long time).

Getting fired up for the season!

But I can't long for fall before summer even starts.

So are coaches not allowed to talk about PWO recruits even after they are announced on signing day and added to the team roster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So are coaches not allowed to talk about PWO recruits even after they are announced on signing day and added to the team roster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty sure walk-ons have to be enrolled before they can be discussed.

Thanks Son! Buy that snowblower yet? We need to make sure you're healthy and ready to go!

Think Coach is tired of Murray's yet?

After many years of visiting various steak houses I’ll give my opinion: after the novelty wears off I’m unimpressed and bored. I’ll take, for example, a slice of pizza (even PJ) or a nice burger over a $60 steak any day of the week and twice on Sundays. YMMV.

After many years of visiting various steak houses I’ll give my opinion: after the novelty wears off I’m unimpressed and bored. I’ll take, for example, a slice of pizza (even PJ) or a nice burger over a $60 steak any day of the week and twice on Sundays. YMMV.

I'll eat the steak for you.;) I know what you mean. I had the experience in reverse. Worked at a pizza place in my youth. Took me a few years before I could even eat pizza again. Now I'm back to loving it.

Thanks Son! Buy that snowblower yet? We need to make sure you're healthy and ready to go!

didn't need one Saturday. track of the system moved north, so we got freezing rain, sleet, regular rain and then some snow, for a wet, sloppy mess. then it re-froze and the streets were horse-bleep. I would have rather had snow. Most of the area churches called off services for Sunday.

Several years ago my wife, her brother and father and I went there and there were a handful of Gopher football players there. We all kind of looked at each other and wondered if Mason (coach at the time) had given them the Murray's gift card from Sid (though he claimed he never actually got one if I remember right) or if there was some other wink-wink arrangement where they ate free or severely discounted. I was having a tough time believing kids that age could afford to spend $100 a pop or so on dinner...

I know what you mean. Once in a while it's incredible, but if you do it routinely it starts getting old. And there's nothing worse than spending that kind of dough and the steak comes and it's just OK. Had that happen recently (not at Murray's), and it ruined the night. I could have gotten that steak at Applebee's. :(

Last edited:

I'll eat the steak for you.;) I know what you mean. I had the experience in reverse. Worked at a pizza place in my youth. Took me a few years before I could even eat pizza again. Now I'm back to loving it.

My blasé experiences could have something to do with the fact that, outside of anniversaries in recent years, I’m typically enduring the insufferable d*****baggery of industry sales, management types at these establishments. With friends we tend to steer towards various ethnic restaurants. Just me: good with pizza, burgers, or chicken wings.

My blasé experiences could have something to do with the fact that, outside of anniversaries in recent years, I’m typically enduring the insufferable d*****baggery of industry sales, management types at these establishments. With friends we tend to steer towards various ethnic restaurants. Just me: good with pizza, burgers, or chicken wings.

I tend to track the same way with the exception of throwing a nice personally seasoned steak on the barbie. I could do that 3-4 times a month in the Summer.

I tend to track the same way with the exception of throwing a nice personally seasoned steak on the barbie. I could do that 3-4 times a month in the Summer.

Agree with both of you. The pleasure of Minneapolis/ Saint Paul, and most all of California is you can find a variety of cuisine. It's nice to change up. It seems like most who dine at "ethnic" restaurants are down to earth. I put ethnic in quotation marks even though we all say it and know what it means, aren't all restaurants are ethnic?

Regarding steaks, If I go to the right market/ butcher shop I can get a nice cut that will rival a steakhouse. Prime, and even Wagyu is available if you look for it.

Corned beef for this week though. Too much St. Paul in me...

Top Bottom