All Things 2019 Gophers Spring Football Thread (Tweets, Articles, Video and More)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Athlon: Minnesota Football: Golden Gophers' 2019 Spring Preview

5 Storylines to Watch during Minnesota's Spring Practice

1. The backs are back!

The heart and soul of this Minnesota team will be the pair of elite running backs coming off of injuries. When healthy, you won't find a better duo than Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks anywhere in the Big Ten. All eyes will be on the two this spring to see how far they are in their recoveries from knee surgery. If one or both are not 100 percent, it leaves to door open for Mohamed Ibrahim to lock down the role he excelled in last season. If all three are healthy, the Gopher rushing attack will be lethal.

2. The return of Antoine Winfield Jr.

This defense lost some significant talent from last season, so getting one of the Big Ten's best defensive players back cannot be overstated. Fans will want to keep an eye on his health, but also take note of the boost he gives the rest of the team when he's on the field. If the Gophers are going to contend for the Big Ten West, you could make the argument that Winfield is the most important player on the roster in terms of achieving that goal.

3. New coaches meshing with players

Fleck brought in a handful of new assistants from other programs around the country. Chemistry is going to be huge, especially with a Gopher squad that returns 37 of 44 players from last season's two-deep. This will be a case of coaches having to adapt to a culture that is already in place, as opposed to the other way around — which is the norm. Communication will be key.

4. Replacing a legendary kicker

There's no such thing as "just a kicker," especially when you are talking about Emmit Carpenter — the greatest kicker in Minnesota history. The Gophers will be involved in some close games in what is expected to be a tight division. They'll need security at the kicking position to be able to come out on the positive end of those battles this fall. There will be an open competition for the role.

5. What happens at quarterback?

Two talented sophomores are currently atop the quarterback depth chart for Fleck. Last season, Zack Annexstad won the job in the fall. When he went down with an injury, Tanner Morgan stepped in and excelled in the role. It appears the job is Annexstad's to start the year. He was awarded a scholarship in January and has the full support of Fleck and the staff. That said, Morgan's presence could ultimately shorten Annexstad's leash if there are any struggles.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/minnesota-football-golden-gophers-2019-spring-preview

Go Gophers!!

Athlon: Minnesota Football: Golden Gophers' 2019 Spring Preview

5 Storylines to Watch during Minnesota's Spring Practice

1. The backs are back!

The heart and soul of this Minnesota team will be the pair of elite running backs coming off of injuries. When healthy, you won't find a better duo than Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks anywhere in the Big Ten. All eyes will be on the two this spring to see how far they are in their recoveries from knee surgery. If one or both are not 100 percent, it leaves to door open for Mohamed Ibrahim to lock down the role he excelled in last season. If all three are healthy, the Gopher rushing attack will be lethal.

2. The return of Antoine Winfield Jr.

This defense lost some significant talent from last season, so getting one of the Big Ten's best defensive players back cannot be overstated. Fans will want to keep an eye on his health, but also take note of the boost he gives the rest of the team when he's on the field. If the Gophers are going to contend for the Big Ten West, you could make the argument that Winfield is the most important player on the roster in terms of achieving that goal.

3. New coaches meshing with players

Fleck brought in a handful of new assistants from other programs around the country. Chemistry is going to be huge, especially with a Gopher squad that returns 37 of 44 players from last season's two-deep. This will be a case of coaches having to adapt to a culture that is already in place, as opposed to the other way around — which is the norm. Communication will be key.

4. Replacing a legendary kicker

There's no such thing as "just a kicker," especially when you are talking about Emmit Carpenter — the greatest kicker in Minnesota history. The Gophers will be involved in some close games in what is expected to be a tight division. They'll need security at the kicking position to be able to come out on the positive end of those battles this fall. There will be an open competition for the role.

5. What happens at quarterback?

Two talented sophomores are currently atop the quarterback depth chart for Fleck. Last season, Zack Annexstad won the job in the fall. When he went down with an injury, Tanner Morgan stepped in and excelled in the role. It appears the job is Annexstad's to start the year. He was awarded a scholarship in January and has the full support of Fleck and the staff. That said, Morgan's presence could ultimately shorten Annexstad's leash if there are any struggles.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/minnesota-football-golden-gophers-2019-spring-preview

Go Gophers!!

Is this sloppy reporting, or are they breaking a scoop?

Statistically speaking, a bit. How many of the records does he hold now/is tied for?

He was very good his sophomore year. The last two years were only ok though IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one is a lock for starting QB until close to game 1. To stick with Annexstad that far into an injury that was obvious indicates Fleck really likes him. Morgan should have gotten the start much sooner.

Statistically speaking, a bit. How many of the records does he hold now/is tied for?

Looks like Dan Nystrom holds the records for most Career FG's made and most FG's made in a season. Chip Lohmiller is 2nd in Career FG's made. Carpenter is 3rd. Looks like Carpenter has the record for highest career FG % made.

So, I would say Carpenter is one of the top 3 kickers in Gopher history.

And, FWIW, it depends on what kind of offense a team has. If the team is scoring a lot of TD's, that means fewer opportunities to kick FG's. If the offense has a lot of drives that stall in or near the red zone, then the Kicker gets lots more chances to make FG's.

Looks like Dan Nystrom holds the records for most Career FG's made and most FG's made in a season. Chip Lohmiller is 2nd in Career FG's made. Carpenter is 3rd. Looks like Carpenter has the record for highest career FG % made.

So, I would say Carpenter is one of the top 3 kickers in Gopher history.

And, FWIW, it depends on what kind of offense a team has. If the team is scoring a lot of TD's, that means fewer opportunities to kick FG's. If the offense has a lot of drives that stall in or near the red zone, then the Kicker gets lots more chances to make FG's.

Distantly reminds me of Tyrone Carter ... like of course he made the tackle, he is amazing ... and often nobody else was going to do it.

Lohmiller is the best gopher kicker of all time, if you can ignore the miss against Indiana that potentially cost us a Rose Bowl...

A lot of folks think Zach will have the upper hand, but I'm not one of them. Tanner was excellent. Problem is his deep ball is not good. ZA's deep ball in games was not great either, but apparently it was excellent in practice. If he can get that to translate, that might give him the edge.

Perhaps Nekton of the week should be divided among positions. You're dealing with different skills, strengths etc.

Lohmiller is the best gopher kicker of all time, if you can ignore the miss against Indiana that potentially cost us a Rose Bowl...

A lot of folks think Zach will have the upper hand, but I'm not one of them. Tanner was excellent. Problem is his deep ball is not good. ZA's deep ball in games was not great either, but apparently it was excellent in practice. If he can get that to translate, that might give him the edge.

I know what you mean. I agree, sort of...

But then I re-watch the video of the deep ball he threw to Bateman to win the Indiana game. That pass was a thing of beauty.

I know what you mean. I agree, sort of...

But then I re-watch the video of the deep ball he threw to Bateman to win the Indiana game. That pass was a thing of beauty.

Agreed. I don't remember Zach throwing any deep balls in a game that I thought were on the money. That ball to Bateman was perfectly in stride for a game winning td.

I don’t believe ZA5 completed a single pass where he threw it in the air over 20-yards. I’m not exaggerating. I’m not certain about the number 20, but I don’t recall a single long pass completion (other than short pass / long run).

I don’t believe ZA5 completed a single pass where he threw it in the air over 20-yards. I’m not exaggerating. I’m not certain about the number 20, but I don’t recall a single long pass completion (other than short pass / long run).

Annexstad was a firm believer in the "If I throw it 15 yards over everyone's heads while they're sprinting down the sideline then it won't be intercepted" theory of quarterbacking.

That said, I think Annexstad has a lot of skills that can make him successful in Minnesota. But man...Morgan impressed me last year.

The one called back at Neb was about 40 yards and hit Bateman in stride very close to the goal line...was probably 50 yards in the air. Had a 30+ one in the Iowa game...probably 40 in the air.

The one called back at Neb was about 40 yards and hit Bateman in stride very close to the goal line...was probably 50 yards in the air. Had a 30+ one in the Iowa game...probably 40 in the air.

He never said he didn’t complete one. He said he doesn’t believe it. So he is right and you are wrong

I remember the one being called back. I don’t remember the Iowa one. I’m sure it happened. I still wasn’t impressed with his long ball. At. All.

He never said he didn’t complete one. He said he doesn’t believe it. So he is right and you are wrong

As soon as 7 different people say they remember it and I still deny it happened we can talk.

As soon as 7 different people say they remember it and I still deny it happened we can talk.

His pass to TJ on the scramble in the Fresno St game. His TD pass to Bateman at Maryland.

I said you were right.

If someone wanted to prove you wrong all they’d have to do is post a video.
I’m not sure the video exists so I’m not going to look for it.
I also don’t remember any long passes.

I think the Fresno state play was only a 15 yard gain or so.
I remember a pass early against Nebraska that was a 15-20 yard play to Tyler Johnson.

Neither of those would qualify to beat your memory

His pass to TJ on the scramble in the Fresno St game. His TD pass to Bateman at Maryland.

Pass to TJ was 12-yards.
TD to Bateman was 17.

So you already looked it up and weren’t really asking...

I just looked them up. I said I don’t believe, recall, remember him having one. Maybe he did, but I don’t remember. I’m interested in if it happened, yes. Your examples weren’t over 20-yards.

Annexstad was a firm believer in the "If I throw it 15 yards over everyone's heads while they're sprinting down the sideline then it won't be intercepted" theory of quarterbacking.

That said, I think Annexstad has a lot of skills that can make him successful in Minnesota. But man...Morgan impressed me last year.

There is a QB coaching theory that teaches much better to throw 10 and run 40 than to throw 40 and run 10. ZA was brought up with first.

He had 2 versus Iowa where he threw it 20+ in the air. One to CAB and one to TJ6. I stand corrected.

No one is a lock for starting QB until close to game 1. To stick with Annexstad that far into an injury that was obvious indicates Fleck really likes him. Morgan should have gotten the start much sooner.

To me it indicates the coaches have questionable judgment.

Lot of unnecessary petty arguing about the past regarding the QB. Lets concentrate on the future.

Thanks Richard. Last part of his post...

I don’t recall a single long pass completion (other than short pass / long run).

Top Bottom