OFFICIAL PJ FLECK HIRE DAY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
I figured we need a new thread after yesterday's marathon thread. Local and national news outlets reporting its a done deal!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Fleck row the boat stuff

eBay

I heard yesterday on the radio that he made the 49ers squad because of his work ethic and football acumen. Dennis Erickson saw his coaching abilities.

K5XWKSy.jpg

Never been more excited as a fan. Huge props to Coyle for being aggressive.

I was at a gopher basketball game in the Barn late 83-84 when some kid in the stands started yelling "we got Lou Holtz, we got Lou Holtz." That was a better way to learn about a new coach than burning a couple of work days on the internet. But is was the last time there has been this much buzz and excitement around a hire. The Holltz years were exciting and I still have issues created by his abrupt departure. Good luck coach Fleck!

and like that the report already down to 5 years.

The acrimony and dissension among fans in some of the other threads is disquieting. I hope people do give him the chance he deserves even if he were hired by the suddenly-hated Coyle. Please accept the possibility that, even if our AD did completely screw up the scandal and the Claeys situation, he may know what to look for in a head football coach. How does a school like Utah hire a coach like Urban Meyer? It's because their AD and his staff know the qualities that make a coach successful and recognized those qualities when they evaluated Meyer. Obviously Joel Maturi didn't know what to look for in a young coach when he hired Brewster, but to project that onto Coyle and Fleck is totally unfair and irrational.

Claeys so could have done that.

I liked how Clem Haskins could always beat any of his players in a free throw shooting contest. It kept them humble.

Never been more excited as a fan. Huge props to Coyle for being aggressive.
This hire feels very much like the Arkansas hire of BB away from Wisconsin.

Hire a younger, energetic coach away from a "lesser conference" sure that he will be able to out recruit and out coach everyone else in the conference. A sure thing hire.

I hope it works out better for the Gophers than it did for the Hogs.

Based on watching Coach Fleck over the last month I am sure I will have little problem rooting just a little bit harder against the Gophers.

Fleck has his work cut out for him with player expulsions/suspensions but I suspect he will have no problem finishing out the fundraising for your new facilities.

As I said in a post yesterday, IMO he will either be successful and gone to a bigger program in 5 years or his act will have worn very thin. I give him a 60/40 on his chance of success.

Good luck and cue the FU responses :rolleyes:

I like his high energy/motor. Keep Sherels and Sawvel on staff and we might actually have a three headed recruiting monster.

Hire a younger, energetic coach away from a "lesser conference" sure that he will be able to out recruit and out coach everyone else in the conference. A sure thing hire.

Based on watching Coach Fleck over the last month I am sure I will have little problem rooting just a little bit harder against the Gophers.

Fleck has his work cut out for him with player expulsions/suspensions but I suspect he will have no problem finishing out the fundraising for your new facilities.

As I said in a post yesterday, IMO he will either be successful and gone to a bigger program in 5 years or his act will have worn very thin. I give him a 60/40 on his chance of success.

FU :p

Dude is so fast they can land the plane, have him get on, and back up in the air in one minute. Impressive.

Eh? Looks like an 18-minute turnaround in Kalamazoo. Which is still stupid fast but not one-minute fast.

Eh? Looks like an 18-minute turnaround in Kalamazoo. Which is still stupid fast but not one-minute fast.

When I looked it showed a one minute turnaround, unless I don't know how to tell time. :confused:

FU

Not FU - fair point , buuuuut....

BB didn't build a program from terrible to ranked in 4 years (or whatever). BB gravy-trained a great coach and program builder, then bailed for a lateral move. Plus, Fleck seems like a good and uplifting human, while BB is an A-1 bellend. There are many other more subtle differences, but this should suffice.

Top Bottom