Positives

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
I really get tired of reading all the negative posts... "what ifs", "fire coach", "need better players", "can't shoot" ect…… (I get it)

Positives

Defense has been and is pretty good

I believe Pitino coaches defense too...Hmmm

Oturo is gonna be REALLY good!

Gabe will be a go to player in the future

Please add more!

I like that Gabe seems to be trying harder to pick up where teammates have been lacking. He was hesitant to do so earlier in the season.

I really get tired of reading all the negative posts... "what ifs", "fire coach", "need better players", "can't shoot" ect…… (I get it)

Positives

Please add more!

Would you be able to tell me the defensive ranking for Minnesota in the Big 10?

Hint.........look toward the bottom.

You forgot to mention:

Coffey doesn't look good enough to go pro yet.

in your list of positives.

Dropped this in another thread but I think this applies to the positives as well. Oturu is having a really nice season. Comparison to a few other notable freshman centers.

Oturu is having a much better season as a freshman than Przybilla did. Added Humphries for fun.

Oturu:10.7pts, 7.5 rebounds, 58.5% FG on 7.2 shots per game. 1.7 blocks, 64% FT, 58.5% EFG in 22.8 minutes per game.

Przybilla: 6.7pts, 5.8 rebounds, 56% FG on 5 shots per game. 3 blocks, ~58% FT, 59.1% EFG in 25.5 minutes per game.

Humphries: 21.7pts, 10.1 rebounds, 44.4% FG on 17.2 shots per game. 1.1 blocks (.7 assists...), ~74% FT, 46.1% EFG in 34.1 minutes per game.

Solid returning group if there's a coaching change. Won't be a total rebuild.

No situation is 100% negative. And I don't think anyone is saying that Pitino is an absolute failure as a coach.

The question, as I see it, is similar to the discussions on the FB board:

"Is the current coach the right coach to elevate the program to a higher level of competition?"

And that all hinges on whether you believe Pitino has more upside - or if this is as good as it's going to get.

I think this could be one of those deals where it depends on the age of the fan/poster.

Some of us remember the good teams under Dutcher and Clem and the current team doesn't look as good by comparison. Others have a shorter time-span in which to compare.

I think we have a pretty good foundation for next year

Next year
C-Oturu
PF-Curry
SF-Coffey
SG-Kalscheur
PG-Carr

Bench-
Omersa
Hurt
Washington
Willis
Tre Williams

TBD
TBD
TBD

The 3 TBD spots will be crucial, I would love to get a grad transfer big man or juco big man that is eligible right away.

the other 2 spots, I'm ok if they're transfers/red-shirt candidates (I know RS isn't coming in bball). I just hope TBD have ability to hit a 3

I'm optimistic about future. I think Murphy is only real loss. Nothing against Dupree, he hasn't shown to be irreplaceable. I think Coffey can still be better

Positives

Please add more!

Yes your right. This team can be pretty good. Unfortunately, one thing that kills us and i just cant figure out is how are upperclassmen are sometimes non existent. Our freshman at times have been freshman, but overall are getting better and have been great! With Coffey, its always when he decides hes gonna get agressive. Sometimes that's early and sometimes its too late. Mcbrayer has had way too many games that he is 1-10 shooting. We, like most teams rely on the upperclassmen!

Yes your right. This team can be pretty good. Unfortunately, one thing that kills us and i just cant figure out is how are upperclassmen are sometimes non existent. Our freshman at times have been freshman, but overall are getting better and have been great! With Coffey, its always when he decides hes gonna get agressive. Sometimes that's early and sometimes its too late. Mcbrayer has had way too many games that he is 1-10 shooting. We, like most teams rely on the upperclassmen!

The killer has been production from our supposed leaders past 2 games. Murphy/Mcbrayer were quiet vs purude and mcbrayer/coffey quiet vs Wisconsin

We don't have a lot of options

I think this could be one of those deals where it depends on the age of the fan/poster.

Some of us remember the good teams under Dutcher and Clem and the current team doesn't look as good by comparison. Others have a shorter time-span in which to compare.

Not only that, older people have less time left to waste watching disappointing seasons so they're bound to be a little less patient.

Not only that, older people have less time left to waste watching disappointing seasons so they're bound to be a little less patient.

I would think the reverse would be true as well.

Old is relative :)

I think we have a pretty good foundation for next year

Next year
C-Oturu
PF-Curry
SF-Coffey
SG-Kalscheur
PG-Carr

Bench-
Omersa
Hurt
Washington
Willis
Tre Williams

TBD
TBD
TBD

The 3 TBD spots will be crucial, I would love to get a grad transfer big man or juco big man that is eligible right away.

the other 2 spots, I'm ok if they're transfers/red-shirt candidates (I know RS isn't coming in bball). I just hope TBD have ability to hit a 3

I'm optimistic about future. I think Murphy is only real loss. Nothing against Dupree, he hasn't shown to be irreplaceable. I think Coffey can still be better

the 3 TBA's are huge I agree!
best case....
Grad transfer PF who can shoot the 3 and battle with Curry for the starting PF spot
Grad transfer C who can back up Oturu
SF freshman
this would allow us to have 4 open scholarships for the 2020 class

ok with
Grad transfer PF/C type to add to the mix
Skogman/Ihnen freshman PF either of whom seem to be the stretch 4 type
SF Freshman
this would still give us 3 open spots for the 2020 class.

Old is relative :)

No. Old is old. It's not how you feel. It's not how you think. It's how many expected years you have left. If you have 30 years behind you and 50 expected years ahead of you, you are young and have lots of time left. If you have 60 years behind you and 20 expected years ahead of you, you don't have so much time left.

No. Old is old. It's not how you feel. It's not how you think. It's how many expected years you have left. If you have 30 years behind you and 50 expected years ahead of you, you are young and have lots of time left. If you have 60 years behind you and 20 expected years ahead of you, you don't have so much time left.
Thank you for clarifying old wise one

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's like saying if McBrayer shoots 30% his next two games, he's improving.

What is our ranking in the Big 10?

Get a life. Seriously. Your entire existence is coming on here after Gopher losses. That's it.

Go see a movie. Try talking to a real human. Read a book. Learn to cook. Travel somewhere. Take up painting.

So much out there. But you're just focused on being the worst person on a message board. You're killing it at that, but selling yourself way short

Realize youre right? We have 8 games left in the regular season. Neither of the last two losses - to the two hottest teams in the league - were a surprise. I still feel very confident we'll make the tourney and win a game.

I agree.

the 3 TBA's are huge I agree!
best case....
Grad transfer PF who can shoot the 3 and battle with Curry for the starting PF spot
Grad transfer C who can back up Oturu

SF freshman
this would allow us to have 4 open scholarships for the 2020 class

ok with
Grad transfer PF/C type to add to the mix
Skogman/Ihnen freshman PF either of whom seem to be the stretch 4 type
SF Freshman
this would still give us 3 open spots for the 2020 class.

I can't remember the last time the Gophers got a grad transfer big man that was good enough to play, I wouldn't count on it.

Another positive. Nobody got injured from Davison's cheap shots. That alone should be enough to take away the sting.

I can't remember the last time the Gophers got a grad transfer big man that was good enough to play, I wouldn't count on it.

Jerry Holeman in 2001/2002.

Another positive. IW is starting to come into his own and give good minutes. I would have ZERO problem putting him in the starting lineup and having McBrayer sit. He just is not the same player this year. If that has to
do with his mom or not, who knows. But he isn't doing much good for us out there right now.

I know the thread is supposed to about positives. Just wanted to offer this thought -

the perspective for next year's team also hinges to some extent on Curry. I think I expected him to be further along in his recovery. I'm starting to think that his injury was far more extensive than I realized, and he has a much longer road back than I expected.

As far as next year - IF Curry plays like he did his FR season, then there is more reason for optimism. IF Curry plays like he has this year, it changes the equation. I think he can still be a productive role player, but if he doesn't show more improvement, I'm not sure you can count on him to be a cornerstone of the team going forward.

The 'ol Gopher luck just keeps going.

OTURU!!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

One positive is that nobody should every again claim that more stull is the answer

I know the thread is supposed to about positives. Just wanted to offer this thought -

the perspective for next year's team also hinges to some extent on Curry. I think I expected him to be further along in his recovery. I'm starting to think that his injury was far more extensive than I realized, and he has a much longer road back than I expected.

As far as next year - IF Curry plays like he did his FR season, then there is more reason for optimism. IF Curry plays like he has this year, it changes the equation. I think he can still be a productive role player, but if he doesn't show more improvement, I'm not sure you can count on him to be a cornerstone of the team going forward.

The 'ol Gopher luck just keeps going.

People have curry’s Freshman season very overrated in the minds.
His stat line is pretty similar to his freshman season with the exception of 2-3 breakout games. If he has 2-3 big games in the last 8, his stats will be better than they were his freshman year.

Well, there's always next season....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom