Norlander: College basketball is losing more underclassmen every year

I am starting to think basketball needs to mirror baseball's policy. If you want to go pro out of HS, go ahead. If you want to go to college, you have to stay 3 years before you enter the draft. This wouldn't have effected Amir's case, but I think it would be a better system.

I go back and forth on it in my head all the time, but I think this is the best solution out there. It especially makes sense now that the G-League has turned into more of a true farm system like baseball.

The only issue it may create is more high schoolers declaring for the draft because they want to avoid having to spend a guaranteed 3 years in college, I would definitely be in favor of leave from high school or spend guaranteed 2 years in college.

The only issue it may create is more high schoolers declaring for the draft because they want to avoid having to spend a guaranteed 3 years in college, I would definitely be in favor of leave from high school or spend guaranteed 2 years in college.

I agree 2 years would probably be better than 3.

I am starting to think basketball needs to mirror baseball's policy. If you want to go pro out of HS, go ahead. If you want to go to college, you have to stay 3 years before you enter the draft. This wouldn't have effected Amir's case, but I think it would be a better system.

From a college basketball perspective, then you wouldn't get the Zion Williamson's or the RJ Barrett's or the Deandre Ayton's of the world. Those guys, especially Zion this year, often become the face of college basketball and losing them would be a big blow to the college game in terms of national relevance. And as GopherBlood points out, if you enact the baseball rule then a lot more highschooler's would declare for the draft then they otherwise would.

In my ideal world, the NBA would have a 2 or even 3 year rule of going to college before playing in the league but I think the current one and done rule is better for college basketball than the baseball rule would be from a national relevance perspective.

From a college basketball perspective, then you wouldn't get the Zion Williamson's or the RJ Barrett's or the Deandre Ayton's of the world. Those guys, especially Zion this year, often become the face of college basketball and losing them would be a big blow to the college game in terms of national relevance. And as GopherBlood points out, if you enact the baseball rule then a lot more highschooler's would declare for the draft then they otherwise would.

In my ideal world, the NBA would have a 2 or even 3 year rule of going to college before playing in the league but I think the current one and done rule is better for college basketball than the baseball rule would be from a national relevance perspective.

Let them all declare and still go to college when they don't get drafted then. Yes it would still cost you Zion and a few others. But the ones who do come would develop. ESPN will always pick someone to over-hype.

Let them all declare and still go to college when they don't get drafted then. Yes it would still cost you Zion and a few others. But the ones who do come would develop. ESPN will always pick someone to over-hype.

I like this idea. Just make every player eligible out of high school and if they get drafted great, but if they don't then they can continue to use up their college eligibility until they get drafted or graduate.

Top Bottom