What grade would you give the Gophers 2019 football recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • B

Votes: 104 73.8%
  • C

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll vote once Kristian Williams decides

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

A is for top 25 right now. Gave it a B. If Williams signs, B+

For me 20's or better = A, 30's = B, 40's = C, etc.

Undecided...I'll wait.

Last year 2nd in B1G West. This year 4th. Without Willams...not good.

Same for me as several above... I voted B, but would afford a B+ if Williams comes home. Needs were addressed for the most part.

Anything much higher than that is going to need solid results on the field to entice a top 20 class.

Undecided...I'll wait.

Last year 2nd in B1G West. This year 4th. Without Willams...not good.

If we were 7th in the B1G West, 14th in the B1G overall and 15th in the country...would you still say not good?

I gave it a B, i tend to look mainly at just the upper half of the class as those are the players that are most likely to be contributors on the team and one thing we seem to be doing will is improving the middle of our class. The ceiling isn't much higher and the bottom is vaguely similar but it's the middle to me where you start actually changing the quality of the class.

B(+). Very strong class. Get into the 20s and better and it would be an A. I expect that will happen in the future. For now, it's still looking like a better than average class and I think it will pay off on gameday. Good job overall.

C. Our expectations have fallen so low after years of horrible teams. This is a very average recruiting class for a B1G team. It's good for us, but if we want to compete for B1G championships and national titles well we'll need to do better.

Given the Gophers were 5-7 last year and 6-6 this year and still got this talented of a group is impressive to me. Plus, positions of need were addressed very well with this 2019 group. I give them an A based on those parameters. Seems like Top 25 ranked teams frequently get Top 25 recruiting classes but I feel like Minnesota, who is not a Top 40 ranked team, outperformed this recruiting cycle.

Given the Gophers were 5-7 last year and 6-6 this year and still got this talented of a group is impressive to me. Plus, positions of need were addressed very well with this 2019 group. I give them an A based on those parameters. Seems like Top 25 ranked teams frequently get Top 25 recruiting classes but I feel like Minnesota, who is not a Top 40 ranked team, outperformed this recruiting cycle.

For some high 3 star and lower 4 star, I feel it's easier to get them w/o great success. Coaches have the ability to point to early and lots of playing time when they come in (I don't like this tactic b/c it can be disingenuous, but they do it), and some of these types of kids want to play right away, have never sat the bench, and realize that is likely what'll happen at places with success. If/when we get to that point, it'll be interesting to see how well we recruit. Will it increase, stay the same, or decline a bit. Hopefully, we get to find out.

C. Our expectations have fallen so low after years of horrible teams. This is a very average recruiting class for a B1G team. It's good for us, but if we want to compete for B1G championships and national titles well we'll need to do better.

I do agree that things will need to continue to tick up for us to become a true contender but there is a definite difference between the classes Fleck is bringing in vs. many of the classes we have seen around here for quite some time. The biggest thing I have noticed is that most of our recruits have other power 5 offers some even from helmet schools.

Is was a very common trend with Mason and Kill to see us really target the under the radar/under recruited players. I don't know where to pull offer lists on previous players but I recall a common theme where we were often the best offer a kid had during those years and we rarely beat out other power 5 programs for players.

That has definitely changed over these past few years. We are getting guys that other Big Ten schools also want, which to me is far more important then the star ratings next to the players name.

I am not a fan of rating recruiting classes before the kids have a chance to get on campus and show what they can do, but I would give this class a B on paper. Definite room to continue improving but I like what I am seeing over these first few classes of the Fleck era.

B. Eventually I'll expect higher but for a 6-6 team with a few embarrassing losses, this is a pretty solid class. Also seems to fit our needs well.

We will get better. Unfortunately can't happen overnight like you could in basketball by signing 3 great players. A football team has to recruit many more players every year to be successful. No, this is a solid B and I'm very happy with it. As we all know we really won't know how we did until about 4 years out. Perhaps it will be a A+ class in the end.

A. They addressed positions that needed depth. I think its a good solid class that they can build on. Rome wasn't built in a day.

We will get better. Unfortunately can't happen overnight like you could in basketball by signing 3 great players. A football team has to recruit many more players every year to be successful. No, this is a solid B and I'm very happy with it. As we all know we really won't know how we did until about 4 years out. Perhaps it will be a A+ class in the end.

What is our rank within our conference? A solid B would be top 5. An A would be top 2-3. Again that's just my opinion. Your expectations are lower than mine, that's fine.

26 of the 37 schools ahead of us in recruiting rankings had better records this past season. Over half of the 11 teams above us with worse or equal records have had much more success than us in recent history. Many of the schools recruiting better than us have the advantage of recent success that we lack.

We're 3rd out of 14 teams in recruiting among teams with 6 records. If the team plays better in future seasons, recruiting will almost certainly improve as well.

What is our rank within our conference? A solid B would be top 5. An A would be top 2-3. Again that's just my opinion. Your expectations are lower than mine, that's fine.

Big Ten Rankings (right now)

Michigan
PSU
OSU
Nebraska
Purdue
Wisconsin
Michigan State

Minnesota

Iowa
Indiana
Northwestern
Rutgers
Illinois
Maryland

By that standard an A would be basically impossible for us to obtain because the chances of out recruiting Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State is next to zero most years.

But we are us.

We need to continue to string several "good for us" classes in a row before it's even reasonable to expect us to compete with the big boys.

This was a good class, it was a B.

If we brought in Benhart/Carroll and Williams, it would have been an A.

Definitely a solid B/B+ bench marking it to other fairly recent Gophs classes. 2018 and 2019 have exceeded my expectations for sure. Proof always is in how that "paper" talent converts to on the field performance. WIth that, I think it will be hard for Fleck to maintain at this level without winning more games.

Gophs really should be 8-4 right now and my expectation is they do better than that in 2019. Continuing to bump along at around .500 will negatively impact recruiting quickly. Fleck's honeymoon period is over.

Last edited:

It's a B. By position I'd rank it like this:

QB - A-
RB - C
WR - B+/A-
OL - C-
DL - A
LB - A-
CB - A
S - D

Big Ten Rankings (right now)

Michigan
PSU
OSU
Nebraska
Purdue
Wisconsin
Michigan State

Minnesota

Iowa
Indiana
Northwestern
Rutgers
Illinois
Maryland

You guys can keep railing on me but look where we are in the B1G. Average, C is average. You guys want and accept average, that's fine I don't. You know what they say about the common man.

You guys can keep railing on me but look where we are in the B1G. Average, C is average. You guys want and accept average, that's fine I don't. You know what they say about the common man.

I gave a B. I think realistically anything in the 20's or higher would be an A for a school in our position. I can see the argument for a C though, especially when you see we are ranked #13 if you go by average star and not the rivals or 24/7 formula.

Agree. This year is ranked lower than last year within the conference and the West even with Williams. Thus, on paper, we are gaining ground on only past Gopher teams and losing ground within the conference.

FWIW...I didn't vote but with Williams C+/B-. Without him, I have no grade as the extra scholly could be a 5 star or 2 star punter.

Agree. This year is ranked lower than last year within the conference and the West even with Williams. Thus, on paper, we are gaining ground on only past Gopher teams and losing ground within the conference.

FWIW...I didn't vote but with Williams C+/B-. Without him, I have no grade as the extra scholly could be a 5 star or 2 star punter.

So you're giving an "incomplete"?

Top Bottom