impressions from practice (loyalty perk)

book

Reaction score
Best players - Carr and Orturo with Gabe they will score a lot.

Pleasantly surprised with Greenlee - quick little guard - played well

Williams, Demir, Willis will play a lot. Inhen has a great looking shot and he will develop into a very good player. Suprised by Orturo's long range shooting and ball handling skills. Omersa still can't shoot but plays OK under the basket. Hurt is Hurt and he will provide some minutes. Lots of long range shooting with Carr being able to get his shot at any time. looks like a fun squad to watch - not a Big Ten champ but a team that will improve...

Thanks so much for sharing. These are the type of posts that keep me checking this forum.

Williams, Demir, Willis will play a lot. Inhen has a great looking shot and he will develop into a very good player. Suprised by Orturo's long range shooting and ball handling skills. Omersa still can't shoot but plays OK under the basket. Hurt is Hurt and he will provide some minutes. Lots of long range shooting with Carr being able to get his shot at any time. looks like a fun squad to watch - not a Big Ten champ but a team that will improve...

Is Omersa's FT shooting any better?

Is Omersa's FT shooting any better?

Nearly an impossible thing to see until games start. Guys who are terrible FT percentage shooters in games will still be at minimum 70% in practice (even Omersa).

Thanks for post about practice. Will be a really fun team to watch develop and grow.

Thanks for the intel. Good stuff. My early impression from reports on Carr is that he's more likely to be a shoot-first PG? Any thoughts on that?

Omersa must shoot free throws well or he cannot be on the court. Hope he has that issue fixed. It was his obvious area of opportunity in the off season. Coaching staff certainly has that as a priority for his development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience:
Overall, the team brings good effort. Tre, Jarvis, Greenlee, Willis, Hurt all get after it on defense. They did a lot of 2 on 2 work on offense and defense and built up many of the drills progressively to 3 on 3, 4 on 4, then 5 on 5. They split the group up into post players and outside players, for offensive moves/shooting drills. Hurt, Ihnen, worked with both groups. Ihnen is exciting to see - so long and athletic with a good shot. Not sure he will play a ton, as he was not as effective during the 5 on 5 full court scrimmage - a little lost and easily pushed around. But we are still a month out from real games so a lot of time to get used to the pace and intensity of games.
Tre, athletic and occasionally out of control.
Marcus can get his shot anytime, will occasionally frustrate, but more often surprise.
Payton, Greenlee, Gabe - each solid, quiet, driven dudes who will make the right plays.
Hurt is Hurt - will play, but hardly noticeable. Great teammate.
Jarvis - a worker and a communicator. And athletic as all get out. I so want him to be successful.
Isiah - sexy player - oozes superstar potential
Freeman - still figuring out what to do. Good effort and solid body.
Demir - slighter body than I was expecting. Will be solid
Oturu - will be studly
Curry - present and walking with little limp.

With the athletes and the effort we could be a decent defensive team, which could turn into easy transition buckets (if we rebound well). Offensively, we struggled in 5 on 5, but it was a small window for which to make judgment.

Great stuff guys! GH at its best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone has a man crush.... [emoji8]

The allure of Ihnen is that a 6-8 athlete like that who can shoot it and run the floor would be a difference maker on this team if he can get up to speed by the time the Big Ten schedule arrives.

I was not there but a good buddy of mine was, here are his texts:

- Willis looks like every bit the shooter Gabe is
- Greenlee looks very solid. Not tall but strong and athletic with good shot and does't make mistakes
- Ihnen potential is off the charts
- Omersa looks a little better but still don't expect much offense
- Not wowed by Demir. Maybe against a smaller team. We need Curry
- Tre has a good build and decent shot. Should play. Car, Willis, Gabe, Oturu are all really solid.
- Oturu was shooting well from outside. and all of our big guys look like they can handle the ball well. Some very impressive ball handling by the bigs on full court one on one.

Go Gophers!!

- Greenlee looks very solid. Not tall but strong and athletic with good shot and does't make mistakes
- Tre has a good build and decent shot. Should play. Car, Willis, Gabe, Oturu are all really solid.
- Oturu was shooting well from outside. and all of our big guys look like they can handle the ball well. Some very impressive ball handling by the bigs on full court one on one.

Go Gophers!!

I'm hoping that Omersa is a better, more athletic Miles Tarver. Not every player needs to be a scorer. Good teams have players that do the dirty work too.

Thanks for the reports. Curry "present and walking with a little limp?" Dare I hope or has something definite come out?

Thanks for the reports. Curry "present and walking with a little limp?" Dare I hope or has something definite come out?
All Pitino said was that they were getting a second opinion and confirmed he had a "setback."

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Bleed.

Not wowed by Demir concerns me quite a bit, especially in light of Curry injury. Hoping frontline doesn't up being Oturu and a prayer (Hurt, Omersa, Demir, etc.).

Thanks Bleed.

Not wowed by Demir concerns me quite a bit, especially in light of Curry injury. Hoping frontline doesn't up being Oturu and a prayer (Hurt, Omersa, Demir, etc.).

I wasnt there yesterday but i was at another practice and Demir is never gonna "wow" anyone. I worry about his defense but offensively he'll help for sure.

Demer look at what he did ,who he did for and who he did it against...nothing on his resume to support a serviceable big ten starter. Maybe ok off the pine

Thanks Bleed.

I saw Demir in a game last year with Drexel. I wasn't impressed at the end of the game, but that was an n of 1. Hopefully he can adjust to Big Ten and contribute but I'm not going to hold my breath. I go into season with low expectations but with hope he will surprise

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nearly an impossible thing to see until games start. Guys who are terrible FT percentage shooters in games will still be at minimum 70% in practice (even Omersa).

Thanks for post about practice. Will be a really fun team to watch develop and grow.

I seriously doubt Omersa shoots 70% FT even in practice but would be delighted if I’m wrong.

Last edited:

I seriously doubt Omersa shoots 70% FT even in practice but would be delighted if I’m wrong.

You'd be surprised. When I coached and we tallied it, pretty much everyone on our teams would shoot above 65% during free throws (non pressured). It's part of why I stopped practicing them that way. I was listening to a podcast with Rob McClanaghan (famed NBA trainer) and he said Rondo shoots 80% in workouts. These guys shoot all the time.

I wasnt there yesterday but i was at another practice and Demir is never gonna "wow" anyone. I worry about his defense but offensively he'll help for sure.

Hmm. If only we could combine him and Omersa, we'd have something. Any chance Oturu would play the 4 with Freeman at the 5?

Hmm. If only we could combine him and Omersa, we'd have something. Any chance Oturu would play the 4 with Freeman at the 5?

I wouldn't be surprised if that combo is seen in non-conference play or possibly even Omersa at the 5 with Oturu at the 4.

I wouldn't be surprised if that combo is seen in non-conference play or possibly even Omersa at the 5 with Oturu at the 4.

I think this would be ideal for the team and Oturu individually if he plays the 4 next to Omersa at the 5. Oturu will be able to show off his versatility and range for NBA scouts, and Omersa will be able to take on the bruiser, pick setter role on the offensive end. If the starting lineup is Carr, Willis, Kalscheur, Omersa, Oturu (with Omersa and Oturu being interchangeable as far as 4/5) that will be a great, balanced lineup.

The Gophers haven't really had a stretch 4 under Pitino since King graduated, so if Omersa and Oturu have limited range, I don't see why that will change our offense or really hamper us in anyway. Best case scenario is Oturu becomes a decent 3-point shooter (NBA scouts will want to see that from him).

EDIT: Just want to add that I think Omersa could handle himself as a Center on defense. He might pick up a lot of fouls, but if he is able to give 15-20 minutes at Center (I'd only do this if Oturu was also on the floor), that can really change the dynamic of this team.

Last edited:

No idea what his injury is, but it's common for people with torn ACLs to be able to walk around without a brace or crutches, so him being able to walk unfortunately doesn't really mean anything. Doogie said it will be a "lengthy" rehab, whatever that is worth.

I think this would be ideal for the team and Oturu individually if he plays the 4 next to Omersa at the 5. Oturu will be able to show off his versatility and range for NBA scouts, and Omersa will be able to take on the bruiser, pick setter role on the offensive end. If the starting lineup is Carr, Willis, Kalscheur, Omersa, Oturu (with Omersa and Oturu being interchangeable as far as 4/5) that will be a great, balanced lineup.

The Gophers haven't really had a stretch 4 under Pitino since King graduated, so if Omersa and Oturu have limited range, I don't see why that will change our offense or really hamper us in anyway. Best case scenario is Oturu becomes a decent 3-point shooter (NBA scouts will want to see that from him).

EDIT: Just want to add that I think Omersa could handle himself as a Center on defense. He might pick up a lot of fouls, but if he is able to give 15-20 minutes at Center (I'd only do this if Oturu was also on the floor), that can really change the dynamic of this team.

Totally agree. The key to Oturu at the 4 is, he would have to show that he can not only shoot if from range but also be able to drive effectively to the hoop.

You'd be surprised. When I coached and we tallied it, pretty much everyone on our teams would shoot above 65% during free throws (non pressured). It's part of why I stopped practicing them that way. I was listening to a podcast with Rob McClanaghan (famed NBA trainer) and he said Rondo shoots 80% in workouts. These guys shoot all the time.

So, what was your super secret discovery on how to effectively practice free throws? One and ones or line drills absolutely creates pressure....it also gets your marginal players taped into a locker ha
Two at a time, develop a routine, (one bounce always, deep breath etc whatever your thing is) no shooter talking while they launch as they are shooting because it's not game like during the release...etc

Random free throws during 5 on 5 can be good with time and score situations. One person shooting and 14 people watching for a team total percentage with consequences is good but it takes 10 minutes for 15 guys to shoot and they each took two shots. Can't do that too often early in the season.

Your solution or discoveries?

Agree most everyone can shoot 65% in practice...same thing on 3's...percentage way higher with no defender and multiple shots same location.

Top Bottom