Official - Trent Lockett to Marquette

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per his Twitter:

@T_Lockett24: I've been a sundevil since 16. I love and appreciate the people and experience at ASU. Saying that, I am excited to finish my last yr at MU!

GopherLady said:
Per his Twitter:

@T_Lockett24: I've been a sundevil since 16. I love and appreciate the people and experience at ASU. Saying that, I am excited to finish my last yr at MU!

Good for him. Sounds like a good landing spot and a good fit.

It's Tubby's fault. (Just thought I would beat the Tubby bashers to it.)

Is he gonna get the waiver while being 5 hrs away? I would assume so because of it being one of the closest d1 school that had an open scholarship?

Winasota Gopher said:
Is he gonna get the waiver while being 5 hrs away? I would assume so because of it being one of the closest d1 school that had an open scholarship?

He graduated. He doesn't need one.

Best of luck, Trent! Too bad the situation couldn't work out here.

Myron just wrote a well done piece on Trent and his family. This story just broke my heart - I feel so horrible for the young man and his family. Regardless of basketball, I really wish there would have been a place for him here, it will still be tough to be 5 hours away from him Mom as she battles this disease. I wish the very best to them, no one should have to go through this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...17/moms-cancer-diagnosis-familiar-for-lockett

Myron just wrote a well done piece on Trent and his family. This story just broke my heart - I feel so horrible for the young man and his family. Regardless of basketball, I really wish there would have been a place for him here, it will still be tough to be 5 hours away from him Mom as she battles this disease. I wish the very best to them, no one should have to go through this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...17/moms-cancer-diagnosis-familiar-for-lockett

I don't mean to be a homer, but there's a pretty obvious gaping hole in Myron's story, pretty surprising considering who Myron covered the last 3 years or whatever.

As a homer, you may not want that gaping hole filled.

How lucky for Buzz that 2 players decided on Friday afternoons not to go to Marquette. What a lucky coincidence that the scholarships freed up. Similar to the lucky coincidence that occurred when Jamil Wilson wanted to transfer.

GW, What will Lockett's brutal turnover rate do to your team? I'm so sorry that your program picked up such a flawed player.

“@DarrenWolfson: Spent the afternoon w/ Trent Lockett. Right or wrong, Tubby wouldn't free up a scholarship + he loves Marquette.”

Who should Tubby have cut? And how would Lockett have fit in (on court and chemistry wise). Who should Tubby have told they are screwed for minutes next year? Austin Hollins? Coleman? I can see Mav, but I don't think Tubby is at all to blame on this one. The practice of cutting players is shady to say the least. I hope it will be worth it for Marquette.

Who should Tubby have cut? And how would Lockett have fit in (on court and chemistry wise). Who should Tubby have told they are screwed for minutes next year? Austin Hollins? Coleman? I can see Mav, but I don't think Tubby is at all to blame on this one. The practice of cutting players is shady to say the least. I hope it will be worth it for Marquette.

You're making things up.

Purposely cutting a player to obtain Lockett for just a single season may have created a poisonous environment on the team, so I do have to back Tubby on this one.

Purposely cutting a player to obtain Lockett for just a single season may have created a poisonous environment on the team, so I do have to back Tubby on this one.

I don't think you can fault him for "not cutting someone," it's some of the recruiting decisions leading up to this that are questionable.

What's your cutoff for how close he had to be to his Mom?

Marquette means he can hop in a car and make a relatively inexpensive long day trip or overnight trip to see his mom. Where he was required a lot more money and time to get home.

I don't think you can fault him for "not cutting someone," it's some of the recruiting decisions leading up to this that are questionable.

We just need to get one of those other coaches who recruits perfectly every single time, i.e., every coach not named Tubby Smith.

I hope everything works out well for Lockett at Marquette.

I also hope the Gophers have the kind of a season where at the end of it we're not lamenting the fact we didn't have a scholarship available for him. This is one offseason where the Gophers could have benefitted from another player leaving the program (for whatever reason), but this time with the chance to add a proven difference-maker in the spring. Strange how things work out.

Top Bottom