All Things Tre' Williams Recruit Thread - UPDATED: Tre Williams Signs With Gophers!

These reports are encouraging. It’s beginning to look as if I didn’t know what I was talking about, and I’ll be happy if that turns out to be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just noticed that 247 now has him as a 4-star in its own rankings (and 148 nationally). Wow.

https://247sports.com/player/tre-williams-46046489/

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I also see there are two rankings on 247. A composite ranking and a "Top 247" ranking. Tre is ranked 183rd in the composite and 148th in the other. Does anyone know the difference between these, or how they are computed?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I also see there are two rankings on 247. A composite ranking and a "Top 247" ranking. Tre is ranked 183rd in the composite and 148th in the other. Does anyone know the difference between these, or how they are computed?

the 247 ranking is their site's ranking. The composite is the average ranking between 247, ESPN, Rivals and maybe Scout.

Fun to see. Sounds like a solid player who will contribute in multiple ways.

While the offense has been inconsistent this year (missed free throws being most frustrating), the defense has been consistent. It allows them to survive some of the ups and downs on offense, which I think will improve as the year goes on.

Williams sounds like a kid who will be able to play D, make a shot when needed... can always use kids like that on the club.

Is he a guard, I was always under the assumption he was a SF.

Hopefully he grows another inch or 2 in his senior year. Most colleges play some form of 3 gaurd line up now anyway. Very few nba style small forwards around.

the 247 ranking is their site's ranking. The composite is the average ranking between 247, ESPN, Rivals and maybe Scout.

CBS bought 247 in 2015, and then bought Scout in early 2017. They put all of the Scout assets under the 247 name and Scout no longer exists.

Scout and 247 are one and the same now, otherwise I think you’re right. I’m kind of surprised that he’s considered a 4 star at #148. I thought the 4 star designation usually only went down to 120 or 130.

I thought the 4 star designation usually only went down to 120 or 130.

The stars are kinda stupid IMO. I just like to see what number they are ranked. But that doesn't matter much either, they had Gabe at #198.

The stars are kinda stupid IMO. I just like to see what number they are ranked. But that doesn't matter much either, they had Gabe at #198.

It was crazy about Gabe as it wasnt like that team was unscouted. I guess the scouts chaulked Gabes scoring up to Tre giving the assist?

Rankings aren't perfect, but they're usually pretty reliable (obviously they didn't give Gabe enough credit). For everyone here who has never seen him play, rankings/offers are all we have to go by, which is why I was initially skeptical about how good he was. I'm encouraged by these new reports though. Sounds like someone who is definitely worth a scholarship. I like that he seems to have a good attitude and is willing to play hard on defense and do the little things. I'm happy to have him.

No, we also had the coaches evaluation that lead to an offer and a commitment. A lot of people were discounting and even ridiculing the coaches judgement. In hindsight, it looks like the problem was with the posters snap to judgement and not with the coaches We will know more in the years to come. It is nice to see some at least realize that they may have over reacted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These reports are encouraging. It’s beginning to look as if I didn’t know what I was talking about, and I’ll be happy if that turns out to be the case.

Hat’s off to you... most posters would never man up.

None of us know a damn thing. But that low ranking sure lured us in. Now he’s re-evaluated and we like him. We STILL don’t know a damn thing. Time will tell but neither the kid nor his recruiters deserve any criticism before he’s ever played a minute. Maybe let it play out one time!

It's as if Pitino and staff do this recruiting thing for a living and we don't.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

None of us know a damn thing. But that low ranking sure lured us in. Now he’s re-evaluated and we like him. We STILL don’t know a damn thing. Time will tell but neither the kid nor his recruiters deserve any criticism before he’s ever played a minute. Maybe let it play out one time!

Except for somebody who professionally scouts players and is the editor of a large recruiting website went and saw him play a couple games and then wrote detailed notes about it. So, someone does know a little something.

Except for somebody who professionally scouts players and is the editor of a large recruiting website went and saw him play a couple games and then wrote detailed notes about it. So, someone does know a little something.

I’m guessing the same pro saw Gabe play in high school as well as college coaches and all are now saying they were wrong on where they had him. It happens. I liked Tre and Gabe. Didn’t know Gabe would make this impact so early. I don’t know if Tre will and neither does anyone else. We hope they do but we don’t know. My point was before we pass judgement on anyone we should let it play out.

I’m guessing the same pro saw Gabe play in high school as well as college coaches and all are now saying they were wrong on where they had him. It happens. I liked Tre and Gabe. Didn’t know Gabe would make this impact so early. I don’t know if Tre will and neither does anyone else. We hope they do but we don’t know. My point was before we pass judgement on anyone we should let it play out.

Agreed on that point. I was just speaking to the adjusted rankings

Agreed on that point. I was just speaking to the adjusted rankings

It’s great to see the adjustment. I’ll take kids who get it done in the classroom and show athleticism, shooting ability, and a willingness to defend. To me that is a phenomenal foundation on which to build.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Why would the father of a recruit get this idea that people are doubting his son’s talent? Maybe he read this thread, it is open to the public and has free access...

Everyone is free to express their opinion, but please pause a moment and think before you wildly speculate without any knowledge. It is read by more people than you think.

A large majority of the fans trust Pitino’s judgement over some recruiting site.
We are excited to see Tre wearing Maroon and Gold (and some white, black...) next year.

Why would the father of a recruit get this idea that people are doubting his son’s talent? Maybe he read this thread, it is open to the public and has free access...

Everyone is free to express their opinion, but please pause a moment and think before you wildly speculate without any knowledge. It is read by more people than you think.

A large majority of the fans trust Pitino’s judgement over some recruiting site.
We are excited to see Tre wearing Maroon and Gold (and some white, black...) next year.

Oh I don't know, maybe it's because his son didn't get many D1 offers which literally means most D1 coaches are doubting his ability to play on that level?

Eric Bossi is respected by coaches for his opinion and he likes this recruit. Most of the internet scouts are hacks and just raise and lower rankings based on what coaches have offered. A name who coaches actually pay is THE GODFATHER OF SCOUTING , Tom Konchalski and he is not online, he is independent and his stuff sells for about 475.00 seperate from a individual evaluation. Rankings are for fans. Anyone can rank the the top 10. Real recruiting is finding guys like Murphy and Gabe. Non blue blood schools win big with these finds.

No, we also had the coaches evaluation that lead to an offer and a commitment. A lot of people were discounting and even ridiculing the coaches judgement. In hindsight, it looks like the problem was with the posters snap to judgement and not with the coaches We will know more in the years to come. It is nice to see some at least realize that they may have over reacted.

Pitino offering tells you that he thinks he's good enough to be on the team, but that's it. It doesn't indicate what type of role he will have. That's where the rankings/offers come in. If a player is ranked really high and has really good offer, fans will assume he's going to have a big role on the team. If he doesn't have good offers and has a low ranking, fans will assume they probably won't have a big role. We're all aware that there are a number of exceptions (like Gabe) and you don't know for sure until they start playing games, but rankings are usually pretty reliable.

I'm glad Tre is going to be on the team, and given that I have nothing else to go off of, the fact that his rating has improved and scouts have had good things to say about him, I'm even more excited.

Eric Bossi is respected by coaches for his opinion and he likes this recruit. Most of the internet scouts are hacks and just raise and lower rankings based on what coaches have offered. A name who coaches actually pay is THE GODFATHER OF SCOUTING , Tom Konchalski and he is not online, he is independent and his stuff sells for about 475.00 seperate from a individual evaluation. Rankings are for fans. Anyone can rank the the top 10. Real recruiting is finding guys like Murphy and Gabe. Non blue blood schools win big with these finds.

I agree that Gabe looks to have been a steal. He might be one of the best 15 freshman in the country. As far as Murphy, he got offers from good programs, including Shaka Smart’s VCU (granted, Smart didn’t bring him to Texas with him). I would still call Murphy a diamond in the rough considering some college b-ball analysts had him as a pre-season third team all American, which no one projected. Overall, I think it’s hard to compare recruite like this.

I was really disenchanted with the Tre Williams signing. I saw a 300-something ranked player with no big time offers. But I’m also a big Pitino fan and am not totally shocked that Williams shot up the board. Pitino made Nate Mason and Jordan Murphy all-Big10 caliber players. I think he can make Williams a solid contributor day 1...

It’s funny how we kind of lack guard depth this year, but next year we will be stacked. Washington, Carr, Willis, Williams, Gabe K., and even Coffey (if you want to call him a guard). Will be interesting to see how’s it plays out. I’ve read Willis is a PG but Marcus Fuller calls him a combo guard so maybe this depth chart will work:

Washington/Carr
Gabe K./Willis
Coffey/Williams

Rankings aren't perfect, but they're usually pretty reliable

Naivete. They aren't that reliable when you get beyond the most elite players and they are probably in some ways less reliable now than they were twenty-five years ago for the same reasons that "journalism" is less reliable than it was twenty-five years ago. Any schmuck with a laptop can now publish things that amount to little more than a combination of plagiarism and shallow acquaintance. And there are too many outlets and not enough quality editors.

Naivete. They aren't that reliable when you get beyond the most elite players and they are probably in some ways less reliable now than they were twenty-five years ago for the same reasons that "journalism" is less reliable than it was twenty-five years ago. Any schmuck with a laptop can now publish things that amount to little more than a combination of plagiarism and shallow acquaintance. And there are too many outlets and not enough quality editors.

You quoted me saying that rankings aren't perfect, but then proceeded to respond as if I said they are.

I know this is a different sport, but I think this article illustrates that rankings are pretty reliable:
https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-go-hand-in-hand--117819292/

If you don't feel like reading it, the relevant part says that roughly 57.6% of 5-stars get drafted, 23.6% of 4-stars, 6.9% of 3-stars, and 1.1% of 2-stars. If rankings weren't reliable at all, those percentages would be much closer to being even, but they aren't.

Last edited:

Top Bottom