TCF Bank Stadium expansion

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
If and when the stadium is expanded to 80,000, where will the seats be added? I've heard a couple different theories but am wondering if anyone knows the exact plan.

from the end of the press box across to the end of the stadium. my guess is they would start at the edge of the secondary video board

Yes, the seats will be added above the second deck. That's why the "roof" is so wide at the top of the second level. That area, will actually act as a second concourse for the third level if and hopefully when expansion is completed. They won't be filling in the open end of the stadium.

from the end of the press box across to the end of the stadium. my guess is they would start at the edge of the secondary video board

This is correct. They would also plan to do so in increments of 10K - not sure where the first 10K would go (visiting side I would assume, before the end zone, but maybe not?)

Lets hope demand gets to the point where they need the seats and right quick!

I don't think there is a real plan yet

From what I've been told on a couple of tours, the maximum seating capacity would be about 80,000 but that assumes that the entire new capacity is used for individual seats. If the market is there for more enclosed seating, loge boxes, etc. then they would do that and seating capacity would end up being less. I have also heard that, while it is feasible to add additional seating in increments, the duplicated costs of such a plan make it unlikely that they would do that. Finally, the U expects that, if any expansion is ever undertaken, it can be completed in about 9 months so that there would be minimal interruption of a football season (but that would obviously depend somewhat on how they end up doing it).

From what I've been told on a couple of tours, the maximum seating capacity would be about 80,000 but that assumes that the entire new capacity is used for individual seats. If the market is there for more enclosed seating, loge boxes, etc. then they would do that and seating capacity would end up being less. I have also heard that, while it is feasible to add additional seating in increments, the duplicated costs of such a plan make it unlikely that they would do that. Finally, the U expects that, if any expansion is ever undertaken, it can be completed in about 9 months so that there would be minimal interruption of a football season (but that would obviously depend somewhat on how they end up doing it).

Normally I would think they would add more suites/loge boxes/club seats to "pay" for an expansion. But with the U trying to rent out suites on a single game basis right know I would highly doubt the would add mroe suites in the near future. I don't know what the demand for loge boxes or club seats are/were but I do believe they are sold out.(Some one please correct me if I'm wrong) So I would guess it would be more likely they add more loge boxes and club seats instead of suites. Of course it all comes down to demand for regular seats to justify the increase in capacity. So pretty much it all comes down to winning.

If we could actually have sustained demand for 80,000 seats, that would be fantastic. If we can sustain the current level of demand, I could see adding 10,000 seats, then we could see later.

Top Bottom