Pitino....question

If we miss NCAAs but recruit Hurt, does Pitino stay or go?

• Pitino Stays

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Pitino goes

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
I was reading through a large portion of ANTI and PRO Pitino posts and it got me thinking

Does he stay if he misses the NCAAs but recruits Hurt?

I was reading through a large portion of ANTI and PRO Pitino posts and it got me thinking

Yes. No question. But Hurt IS going Adidas U.

Sorry, but we aren't getting Hurt. He was sitting right behind the bench Saturday night at Cameron Indoor watching the Virginia/Duke game. But to answer your poll....yes Pitino would stay. I honestly think he is going to stay even if we falter further down the stretch and we don't get Hurt. I wonder who will be at the JM/Mayo game tomorrow night...

If he gets Hurt- he stays. Hurt, Carr and a back up center and one more solid guard (that can shoot) and we would be a borderline great team next year. Hurt and Carr would immediately put the multi faceted scorers in the lineup that we are struggling to find this year

Strong starting 5:

Oturu
Curry
Hurt
Coffey
Carr

Depth
IW
Kalscheur
Omersa
Williams
B/U big
Juco or Grad transfer guard

Sorry, but we aren't getting Hurt. He was sitting right behind the bench Saturday night at Cameron Indoor watching the Virginia/Duke game. But to answer your poll....yes Pitino would stay. I honestly think he is going to stay even if we falter further down the stretch and we don't get Hurt. I wonder who will be at the JM/Mayo game tomorrow night...

My only thought that if we were to get Hurt it would be in part, maybe a big part, that we made the tourney. That would increase Hurt’s fondness toward his future teammates and thus if we don’t make the tourney and if Hurt were sitting on the fence he would jump down and away from the Gophers.

My only thought that if we were to get Hurt it would be in part, maybe a big part, that we made the tourney. That would increase Hurt’s fondness toward his future teammates and thus if we don’t make the tourney and if Hurt were sitting on the fence he would jump down and away from the Gophers.

I guess you never know. He got his brother, so maybe Matthew will come to DinkyTown as well. Tomorrow night they play Mayo at JM...I'm definitely making the trip down there to watch him again. Hopefully its a fun crowd. The season is half over, so there aren't many more chances to watch him play.

I guess you never know. He got his brother, so maybe Matthew will come to DinkyTown as well. Tomorrow night they play Mayo at JM...I'm definitely making the trip down there to watch him again. Hopefully its a fun crowd. The season is half over, so there aren't many more chances to watch him play.

Michael's best offer other than Minnesota was Nebraska. Matthew has 12 offers better than Nebraska. Michael's recruitment is not a useful data point.

The odds of him getting Hurt AND doing so before say March 20th seems almost zero. But sure, if that happens he buys a year regardless of the NCAAs.

MUCH greater chance that we lose a Hurt rather than gain one, imo.

let's remember - Matthew Hurt has made it clear he plans or expects to be a 1-and-done. So, if we're speculating about the impact of Pitino recruiting Matthew, let's be realistic about what that means. Most likely one year of Hurt before he goes pro.

Sure, it could be a fun year, but after that, what? does one year of Hurt transform the program - or does it become a band-aid of sorts, covering up any issues with the program until you rip off the band-aid after that one year.

If Pitino does land Hurt, he had better make the most of it - like a real run in the NCAA's. Otherwise, I'm not sure one year of Hurt really makes a long-term difference.

If he hasn't made up his mind...there bvb is always a chance.. aka Humphreys

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He may think Pitino is a good coach. He may want to play close to home and play with his brother.

Mike may go play where Matt goes as he will grad after 3 years. On another note Kansas has offered their younger sister.

Mike may go play where Matt goes as he will grad after 3 years. On another note Kansas has offered their younger sister.
...so he can watch his brother play from the first row? Is Bill Self going to offer Mike a manager position? He's not going to give up a scholarship on Mike.

...so he can watch his brother play from the first row? Is Bill Self going to offer Mike a manager position? He's not going to give up a scholarship on Mike.

He might if the scholarship is only for one year.

let's remember - Matthew Hurt has made it clear he plans or expects to be a 1-and-done. So, if we're speculating about the impact of Pitino recruiting Matthew, let's be realistic about what that means. Most likely one year of Hurt before he goes pro.

Sure, it could be a fun year, but after that, what? does one year of Hurt transform the program - or does it become a band-aid of sorts, covering up any issues with the program until you rip off the band-aid after that one year.

If Pitino does land Hurt, he had better make the most of it - like a real run in the NCAA's. Otherwise, I'm not sure one year of Hurt really makes a long-term difference.

Those are very good points. When you're not one of the most elite programs, one-and-done candidates add an additional layer of recruiting uncertainty because you don't always know for sure until late in the spring whether or not they are going to jump to the pros. Programs like KY and Duke can afford to wait because there are always some very highly rated recruits who wait until late in the year to declare when players at those programs decide whether they are leaving. The type of players that Minnesota recruits rarely wait that long.

You are correct that one-and-done players don't always help lesser programs. Ben Simmons was one of the best #1 picks this century but LSU didn't do much with him there in his lone season. Washington had a losing record with #1 Markell Fultz and Minnesota had a bad record with Humphries.

Walk on if necessary.

So we will get hurt by not getting Hurt?

Both Hurts will be playing together next year and it won't be at Minnesota.

We will not be hurt at all as this Hurt is overrated just like his older brother.

CJ Henry would disagree.

To just watch? He can watch while playing for UMN where he actually has a scholarship.

How much PT will he get here next year? Didnt play at all last game. Pitino could very well have a grad transfer or two in next recruiting class who will contribute as well as he will probably be more motivated for sake of the future to play incoming freshmen over Michael.

Top Bottom