Amir receives G-league elite camp invite

Isn't it every player's dream to leave a year of college eligibility on the table so you can showcase your talents in front of 1,500 fans in Delaware?

Melo Trimble is a good litmus test. He left college a year early and ended up in the G-League (the Wolves affiliate to boot). He never made it and ended up in Australia before ending up in Puerto Rico
He's a good litmus test the other end of it as well. Was a projected lotto pick after his freshman year, came back to try and win a national title in 2016 and his stock tanked

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Melo Trimble is a good litmus test. He left college a year early and ended up in the G-League (the Wolves affiliate to boot). He never made it and ended up in Australia before ending up in Puerto Rico

He is making well over $100,000 in Australia in the top league that Andrew Bogut was just playing in before he signed with the Warriors this year and will be making over $20k a month in the Puerto Rico league. That is a lot better than returning.

Isn't it every player's dream to leave a year of college eligibility on the table so you can showcase your talents in front of 1,500 fans in Delaware?

If it will get them to their ultimate goal of making the NBA yes. We are looking at it through a fan lens more than a player lens. Amir was a player who was a 5 star than got injured and his stock dropped in high school. His sophomore year was ruined due to injury. Maybe he chooses to play pro so he doesn't have to go through the risk of injury and further lowering his stock.

If it will get them to their ultimate goal of making the NBA yes. We are looking at it through a fan lens more than a player lens. ... Maybe he chooses to play pro so he doesn't have to go through the risk of injury and further lowering his stock.

This. It's the kid's decision, not ours. Just like the school they choose to attend is their decision.

This. It's the kid's decision, not ours. Just like the school they choose to attend is their decision.

Exactly. Plus they are likely getting the best advice. They know the right people. He is not being influenced by some hanger on. He has strong mentors around him without a poor motive.

How does Isaiah Roby get a combine invite over Coffey? Both are similar size and both are juniors. Roby has better form on his shot but Roby cannot handle as well as Coffey (even though Coffey has no right hand). Coffey is more proven. Roby was lost during many of Nebraska's games.

If it will get them to their ultimate goal of making the NBA yes. We are looking at it through a fan lens more than a player lens. Amir was a player who was a 5 star than got injured and his stock dropped in high school. His sophomore year was ruined due to injury. Maybe he chooses to play pro so he doesn't have to go through the risk of injury and further lowering his stock.

He can be injured just as easily (if not more so) in the G league as in the NCAA. It seems pretty self-evident that the NCAA is a better route to the NBA than the G league. If it weren't, top recruits would be signing left and right with the G league and forgoing the one year in the NCAA.

I'm not looking at it through any other lens than common sense. Leaving the Gophers for the overwhelming likelihood that you'll play in the G league would be a colossally idiotic decision. Selfishly, I want him back for another year, but even putting that aside and looking at it through his "lens," it would be so stupid. Like, really, incredibly, unbelievably stupid.

per Shama:

The Gophers’ Amir Coffey needs to impress at the NBA G League Elite Camp, a three-day tryout for NBA Draft hopefuls in Chicago May 12-14. Those who impress enough will be invited to the NBA Draft Combine (also in Chicago) May 14-19. The Gopher junior wing has until 5 p.m. on June 10 to withdraw his name for the June 20 NBA Draft and still retain eligibility to play for Minnesota next season.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

He can be injured just as easily (if not more so) in the G league as in the NCAA. It seems pretty self-evident that the NCAA is a better route to the NBA than the G league. If it weren't, top recruits would be signing left and right with the G league and forgoing the one year in the NCAA.

I'm not looking at it through any other lens than common sense. Leaving the Gophers for the overwhelming likelihood that you'll play in the G league would be a colossally idiotic decision. Selfishly, I want him back for another year, but even putting that aside and looking at it through his "lens," it would be so stupid. Like, really, incredibly, unbelievably stupid.

What exactly would make it so idiotic? If a team promises him a two-way deal I don't think it's idiotic at all.

In all likelihood he's going to be in the same position next season. It would be really rare for a guy who would go undrafted after his junior year to take a big enough leap to get drafted after his senior year. And a majority of the seniors who were drafted in the 2018 were taken in the latter half of the second round and ended up signing two-way contracts anyways. Amir is likely going to have to go the G-League route either way. There is nothing stupid or reckless about him starting on that path a year early so he can get an extra year of professional coaching and resources that are focused on helping him become a NBA player.

It depends which path he prefers, and frankly they are both fairly similar in that both will likely require him to prove himself in the G-League. It's just that one involves him playing for the Gophers and one doesn't, so when you look at it from a Gopher fan perspective one of them looks stupid. But if you look at it from his perspective they are pretty similar and it just depends which he prefers.

per Shama:

The Gophers’ Amir Coffey needs to impress at the NBA G League Elite Camp, a three-day tryout for NBA Draft hopefuls in Chicago May 12-14. Those who impress enough will be invited to the NBA Draft Combine (also in Chicago) May 14-19. The Gopher junior wing has until 5 p.m. on June 10 to withdraw his name for the June 20 NBA Draft and still retain eligibility to play for Minnesota next season.

Go Gophers!!

Thought it was May 29th?

Thought it was May 29th?

I think he is confusing the NBA deadline with the NCAA deadline. The NBA deadline is June 10. The NCAA deadline is May 29. College players not invited to the combine have to withdraw by May 29 if they want to maintain their college eligibility.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

That's a lot of class time to miss.

It's a life decision as much as it is a basketball decision. What is "right" for one person, may not be "right" for another. Let's hope whatever choice he makes is best for him long-term.

Top recruits get paid more than going to G League according to these FBI investigations and they know they will be drafted after a year of college regardless so why would they go to the G League. If you look at the past 5 or 6 drafts, there aren't many seniors getting drafted first round. I don't get how going pro early is such a stupid or a colossally idiotic decision if he will still be able to finish his degree

What exactly would make it so idiotic? If a team promises him a two-way deal I don't think it's idiotic at all.

In all likelihood he's going to be in the same position next season. It would be really rare for a guy who would go undrafted after his junior year to take a big enough leap to get drafted after his senior year. And a majority of the seniors who were drafted in the 2018 were taken in the latter half of the second round and ended up signing two-way contracts anyways. Amir is likely going to have to go the G-League route either way. There is nothing stupid or reckless about him starting on that path a year early so he can get an extra year of professional coaching and resources that are focused on helping him become a NBA player.

It depends which path he prefers, and frankly they are both fairly similar in that both will likely require him to prove himself in the G-League. It's just that one involves him playing for the Gophers and one doesn't, so when you look at it from a Gopher fan perspective one of them looks stupid. But if you look at it from his perspective they are pretty similar and it just depends which he prefers.

Exactly

He's no kid, but yes, it's what he thinks is his best choice. I don't know what that is. Say he's sitting in the top 70 range right now, is a solid year really going to make him a 1st round pick? Maybe, but probably not IMO. Should he start his pro career and earning money now? He's only got about a ~10-12 year window to cash in on hoops.

He's no kid, but yes, it's what he thinks is his best choice. I don't know what that is. Say he's sitting in the top 70 range right now, is a solid year really going to make him a 1st round pick? Maybe, but probably not IMO. Should he start his pro career and earning money now? He's only got about a ~10-12 year window to cash in on hoops.

The older I get, the more I refer to anyone about 25 and under as a kid!

I see no evidence of this in Amir’s interviews or from his fathers comments. So strange how people have jumped to this conclusion despite many statements from the Coffeys to the contrary.

A combination of his initial comments along with the fact that when something can go wrong with Gopher sports, it usually does.

You can buy insurance for the injury issue, though I don't know how easy it is for more marginal players.

You can buy insurance for the injury issue, though I don't know how easy it is for more marginal players.

There are schools that give their players very substantial insurance policies.

How can a school give someone an insurance policy? That seems like compensation to me?

Maybe they give it to accounting majors, too, in case they get a head injury playing intramurals that prevent them from taking the CPA Exam. If more than athletes get it, it's not an impermissible benefit. Call it the UNC rule.

Maybe they give it to accounting majors, too, in case they get a head injury playing intramurals that prevent them from taking the CPA Exam. If more than athletes get it, it's not an impermissible benefit. Call it the UNC rule.

Check out the NCAA rules on such things. Some schools provide it for athletes as part of the scholarship. For some schools it is standard operating procedure and presented at the same time as the offer. Nothing illegal about it. They are at higher risk for injury. There are tons of benefits for athletes that students do not get. Training table, state of the art facilities off limits to the student body, flight service, hotel rooms, nice stipend and on and on.

Check out the NCAA rules on such things. Some schools provide it for athletes as part of the scholarship. For some schools it is standard operating procedure and presented at the same time as the offer. Nothing illegal about it. They are at higher risk for injury. There are tons of benefits for athletes that students do not get. Training table, state of the art facilities off limits to the student body, flight service, hotel rooms, nice stipend and on and on.

How does one school give a higher benefit than the other though?

Is UNC able yon give a higher insurance policy than say Minnesota? Is it up to the institution to determine or is there a maximum rate mandated by NCAA?

Is UNC able yon give a higher insurance policy than say Minnesota? Is it up to the institution to determine or is there a maximum rate mandated by NCAA?

I bet UNC gives it to all students just to be safe. :rolleyes:

Great question. Will try and find out. Remember that not all scholarships are worth the same either, Some schools fly private, some stay in better hotels, eat better. Some go to better schools. So some buy better insurance. Just like some provide a 5 year scholarship gurantee or a lifetime finish date on graduation. Nothing is equal. Signing for a better coach and a better school is not equal.

Top Bottom