2019 Gophers = 1998 Vikings - 15-1

Hope this latest computer poll is right. ESPN FPI gives Nebraska a better chance to beat Ohio State than they do to beat the Gophers. Has Gophers and Michigan in the Big Ten title game.

topten.jpg

When was the last time we finished ahead of uw in the Big Ten? 3-6 for them? Sureeeeee

For me as a long time Vikings fan it was the end of my true passion for a team which opened up more time to follow the Gophers who have been in my blood since I was 10 years old in 1972.

On the ride home from the Atlanta game my friend and former college teammate started cussing at me and blaming me for going to the game! He became a New England Patriot fan and he still is. It was painful to be there. I also rate the Michigan 2003 game in the same pain level but I don't lose my passion for the Gophers.

For sure Randy Moss created the Viking fan base as it is, the Vikings were struggling to sell out the Metrodome until he came along in 1998. Since he joined the club they have enjoyed sellout crowds. One player can make a huge difference. (Rashod Bateman?)

I'm 100% with you. 98 game broke my love affair with the purple and moved gopher football to #1. Michigan game was a gut punch, but not to the same level.

I firmly believe to this day that the 2nd half of the 03 Michigan game was the greatest tipping point in the last 50 years of Gopher Sports.

I am a true MN fan but never before that point or any time after that have I ever been so devastated by a sporting event in my life.

Ugh. That game was a gigantic gut punch. I also believe the Mason years would have turned out significantly different with a win there.

My old buddy, a Detroit area transplant from MN and Wolverine season ticket holder, traveled back to see that game. At the end of the 3rd quarter, he left his seat in disgust and headed out to the outer concourse for a smoke and beer. Michigan started its comeback on his first cigarette. He stayed out in the concourse chain smoking for good luck until the end of the game. After the game, he felt Lloyd Carr owed him a personal "thank you" for changing the Wolverines' luck. I blame my buddy for that loss.

Last edited:

Ugh. That game was a gigantic gut punch. I also believe the Mason years would have turned out significantly different with a win there.

My old buddy, a Detroit area transplant from MN and Wolverine season ticket holder, traveled back to see that game. At the end of the 3rd quarter, he left his seats in disgust and headed out to the outer concourse to for a smoke and beer. Michigan started its comeback on his first cigarette. He stayed out in the concourse chain smoking for good luck until the end of the game. After the game, he felt Lloyd Carr owed him a personal "thank you" for changing the Wolverines' luck. I blame my buddy for that loss.

For me the worst game was the blocked punt against Wisconsin. Gut wrenching. This past year’s win at Wisconsin was so sweet.

Sure the 98 game was a tough one to lose, but I fail to draw the connection of why that would make someone stop being a fan? It's just a game, sometimes your team doesn't win.

True Gopher fans would not rate that loss worse than the 03' Michigan game.:D

I firmly believe to this day that the 2nd half of the 03 Michigan game was the greatest tipping point in the last 50 years of Gopher Sports.

I am a true MN fan but never before that point or any time after that have I ever been so devastated by a sporting event in my life.

For me the worst game was the blocked punt against Wisconsin. Gut wrenching. This past year’s win at Wisconsin was so sweet.

The Mason years were a long series of gut punches. The Gophs seemed to be close to turning the point several times only to be spoiled by a series of epic losses. The '03 Michigan game was the best example for me (yes, I was a Mason fan and appreciated his bringing the Gophs back to respectability from the previous dumpster fire)

In comparison, the Vikings have a franchise-long series of "Mason years" with continuous gut wrenching epic losses since inception - just spread out among more years and with occasionally better teams.

I'm sure I have asked him that but can't recall his answer. Irrational, yeah I agree but as a MN Pro Sports Fan really, how many times can we be disappointed before we don't care? I think it happens at a certain age when all you have to look back on are losses and then bang, we lose a game which was thought of as a sure win. At least the Patriots have a history of winning and winning often. Not so for the Vikings.

If you define winning as winning the Super Bowl, and call anything less than that losing, then, yes.

As for me, I've watched the Vikings win one NFL Championship game (at the end of the 1969 season, before the NFL-AFL merger, therefore still considered an NFL championship), plus three additional NFC titles which led to Super Bowl trips. I've cheered them on for many, many Central Division/NFC North titles. Over the course of those seasons there were lots of playoff losses, yes; but there were also more than a few playoff wins.

I watched Carl Eller sack Roman Gabriel in the end zone at Met Stadium in their first playoff win. I watched Joe Kapp attempt to hurdle a Browns linebacker and knock him out cold in the title game that same year. I watched Tarkenton lead the Vikings past the Cowboys in Dallas and I saw Bob Lee, subbing for an injured Tarkenton, lead them to a win against the Rams in the playoffs in L.A. in The Mud Bowl. I remember Brett Favre destroying the heavily-favored Cowboys in a playoff game at the MetroDome. Wade Wilson, Anthony Carter and Company having a game for the ages, beating Joe Walsh's vaunted Forty-Niners in San Francisco. It goes on and on. Chuck Foreman, Randy Moss, John Randle, Chris Doleman, Adrian Peterson.

I guess I do not see all of that as a 'losing' history, but that's just me.

In total, many more wins than losses, and quite a few great players and marvelous teams.

Last edited:

This thread reminds me of when people would say MarQueis Gray could be an awesome QB if he watched a little Tom Brady tape.

If you define winning as winning the Super Bowl, and call anything less than that losing, then, yes.

As for me, I've watched the Vikings win one NFL Championship game (at the end of the 1969 season, before the NFL-AFL merger, therefore still considered an NFL championship), plus three additional NFC titles which led to Super Bowl trips. I've cheered them on for many, many Central Division/NFC North titles. Over the course of those seasons there were lots of playoff losses, yes; but there were also more than a few playoff wins.

I watched Carl Eller sack Roman Gabriel in the end zone at Met Stadium in their first playoff win. I watched Joe Kapp attempt to hurdle a Browns linebacker and knock him out cold in the title game that same year. I watched Tarkenton lead the Vikings past the Cowboys in Dallas and I saw Bob Lee, subbing for an injured Tarkenton, lead them to a win against the Rams in the playoffs in L.A. in The Mud Bowl. I remember Brett Favre destroying the heavily-favored Cowboys in a playoff game at the MetroDome. Wade Wilson, Anthony Carter and Company having a game for the ages, beating Joe Walsh's vaunted Forty-Niners in San Francisco. It goes on and on. Chuck Foreman, Randy Moss, John Randle, Chris Doleman, Adrian Peterson.

In total, many more wins than losses, and quite a few great players and marvelous teams.
First of all wow what great memories! My Viking fan memories start with the 1973 season and the Redskins playoff game. I also recall an Atlanta game early on and I saw all those great players you mention from then on as well. I saw Roman Gabriel and others on TV and actually I never got to see the early Vikings in person, my Dad was a Professor at the U and his salary did not allow any kind of luxury like tickets to a Vikings game so we watched them all at home but we did attend Gopher games at Memorial Stadium. I define winning in the NFL as winning the Super Bowl. Yes.

Not quite 6th overall, they were 6th in points allowed.

Passing offense4,328270.51st
Rushing offense1,936121.011th
Total offense6,264391.52nd
Passing defense3,452215.819th
Rushing defense 1,614100.911th
Total defense5,066316.613th

They were sieve like at times.

13th out of 32 teams is not great.
There were only 30 teams in 98

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

First of all wow what great memories! My Viking fan memories start with the 1973 season and the Redskins playoff game. I also recall an Atlanta game early on and I saw all those great players you mention from then on as well. I saw Roman Gabriel and others on TV and actually I never got to see the early Vikings in person, my Dad was a Professor at the U and his salary did not allow any kind of luxury like tickets to a Vikings game so we watched them all at home but we did attend Gopher games at Memorial Stadium. I define winning in the NFL as winning the Super Bowl. Yes.

Thanks!

I should clarify: Yes, I was in attendance, in person for both of the 1969 playoff games at the Met because my parents had season tickets and my Mom pretended it was too cold to go and told me to use her ticket and go with my Dad; I was 12 years old.

Most of those other memories I mentioned were as a fan viewing on TV. The game the Vikings played in San Francisco and beat Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Bill Walsh and the 49ers: I was at a friends' house with a bunch of buddies... a truly great memory. We cheered our lungs out as if we were actually there! We could not believe the Vikings would beat those guys. Anthony Carter had a game that Randy Moss would have envied.

I can say I was in attendance for Northwestern 2000 and 2008, Michigan 2003 and Wisconsin 2005. The NW loses were like a punch to a gut, Wisconsin was a kick to the nads. Michigan felt like being sliced from throat to crouch. I think what people forget in 98 is that the Falcons were 14-2 that year

I can say I was in attendance for Northwestern 2000 and 2008, Michigan 2003 and Wisconsin 2005. The NW loses were like a punch to a gut, Wisconsin was a kick to the nads. Michigan felt like being sliced from throat to crouch. I think what people forget in 98 is that the Falcons were 14-2 that year

Purdue 2001 was another doozy I attended, along with Michigan 2015, I truly believe Limey sealed his fate on that one

There were only 30 teams in 98

Yeah not great Defense compared to what other Vikings teams or other great teams had before or since then. Barely top half of the league. If you are trying to win the Super Bowl you better have a damn good defense but #13 out of 30 teams? It was suspect. They probably would have beat the Broncos in the Super Bowl but the Vikings linebackers, Ed McDaniel and one other were running in and out of the game on one leg in the 2nd half. Maybe the drugs had worn off by then but they were beat up.

My old buddy, a Detroit area transplant from MN and Wolverine season ticket holder, traveled back to see that game. At the end of the 3rd quarter, he left his seat in disgust and headed out to the outer concourse for a smoke and beer. Michigan started its comeback on his first cigarette. He stayed out in the concourse chain smoking for good luck until the end of the game. After the game, he felt Lloyd Carr owed him a personal "thank you" for changing the Wolverines' luck. I blame my buddy for that loss.

((Clears throat)) Both of you are braking one of the longest standing rules of this board. You are to refer that "event" as the game that shall not be mentioned. If you fail to do so, you run the risk of tramatizing many on this board. You don't want to do that, do you? Even saying 03' is enough to make some go into spasms or worse.

((Clears throat)) Both of you are braking one of the longest standing rules of this board. You are to refer that "event" as the game that shall not be mentioned. If you fail to do so, you run the risk of tramatizing many on this board. You don't want to do that, do you? Even saying 03' is enough to make some go into spasms or worse.

Amen bro.

Triggered!

Everything you’ve mentioned but one was more than 30 years ago. Getting the message? Football in Minnesota has...sucked. For almost 60 years. I see far greater potential in the U. I guess that’s just me.

The last Gopher football game I attended was “the game that shall not be mentioned”. I had already matriculated from the U of M several years prior. But attending it with my mom, a University of Michigan grad, which made it that much more painful. Have been living in Atlanta since 2005. I hope to attend the Nebraska game this year to try and erase the horror.

True story. My sister and her husband were on their way to Vegas as the NFC championship game against the Falcons is happening. They board the plain out of MSP as the game is going into overtime. Early in the flight, the pilot comes on the intercom and says “Vikings update — Anderson kicks a field goal for the win in overtime.” The plane erupts in jubilation. Pilot comes back on and says “Morton Anderson wins the game for Atlanta in OT.” The hardest Scandinavian silence ensues...

Last edited:

That’s brutal. Like the fake lottery ticket prank brutal.

Everything you’ve mentioned but one was more than 30 years ago. Getting the message? Football in Minnesota has...sucked. For almost 60 years. I see far greater potential in the U. I guess that’s just me.

The 'message', eh? I guess that makes you... The 'Messenger'?

So... Randy Moss, Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson were 30 years ago, and/or they "sucked", eh?

Okay. Carry on, oh Messenger.

Last edited:

Of course there is far greater potential for the U than the Vikings. They have so much more runway...

A Super Bowl for Gopher football would be a Big Ten championship.

Of course there is far greater potential for the U than the Vikings. They have so much more runway...

A Super Bowl for Gopher football would be a Big Ten championship.
Absolutely!

The loss to MSU in 03 the week following the collapse also was not enjoyable. A win there puts the Gophers at 6-2, tied with OSU and Purdue for 2nd. Someone here probably knows the tiebreakers and bowl the Gophers could have gone to.

That NFC Championship Game was the first time I ever got physically sick because of a football game. I hadn't gotten into Gopher football yet, but it damn sure did cure me of being a huge fan of the Vikings.

Ummmm? The Vikings were 2.5 point favorites in that game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001170min.htm

Top Bottom