Mason's comments on Morgan

I mean the B1G west has only existed for like 5 years. That's not a giant sample size...

Who's the best of that span? Siemian? Beathard?

I like Tanner.

But he can't throw the ball over 40 yards.

This looks to be 40 on the nose (-33 to +27) and that looks good enough to me.

[video]http://www.espn.com/videohub/video/clip?id=25094340&categoryid=0[/video]

I'm not selling myself short. I know I can throw it 40 yards, I can still throw it over 50 if I try. I think it's probably somewhere about 1/3 of the posters here that can though. 40 yards is a long ways. Maybe 1/2 the posters could if they did a full 5 yard shuffle forward before they threw. I mean look at the half time contest for proof, what percentage of those people throw it over 4 yards? And those are all younger people, there are a lot of old guys around here.

Uncle Rico, is that you?

He needs to throw the ball over 20 yard downfield about 1.5 times per game.

He can do that.

Despite the ground and pound in the GT game, he aired it out deep 5 times, as far as I can recall. He completed 3 of them...two for TDs to TJ and a 3rd to CAB that should have been a TD, but was call out at the 4 yard line. These were low risk/high reward throws, including the two incompletions. I expect these throws to continue to be in the game plan, as long as the OL proves capable of protecting him, so defenses can’t stack the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Despite the ground and pound in the GT game, he aired it out deep 5 times, as far as I can recall. He completed 3 of them...two for TDs to TJ and a 3rd to CAB that should have been a TD, but was call out at the 4 yard line. These were low risk/high reward throws, including the two incompletions. I expect these throws to continue to be in the game plan, as long as the OL proves capable of protecting him, so defenses can’t stack the box.

Great post.

I think Tanner Morgan is one of those guys who will always be under-appreciated by the more casual football fans — by that, I mean the type of fan who obsesses a bit over 'The Deep Ball'.

Morgan is certainly not an impressive physical specimen.

But I'll be surprised if he isn't at or near the top of the B1G passer efficiency ratings at the end of this season. And I think there's a good chance that he leads this team to a very strong finish in 2019.

I'd bet 80% of my 401k that most rubes here could not throw a regulation size NCAA football more than 40 yards in their birthday suit much less with a fitted jersey and shoulder pads and a helmet on while taking a 5 step drop and having maybe 1½ to 2 shuffle steps to gain forward momentum in a game situation. Game situation so much more difficult than tossing the pigskin in the backyard to your kids.

With all due respect any Power 5 QB above 5th string should be able to throw a football 40 yards. Maybe not a frozen rope with the flick of a wrist but an arcing 40 yard "bomb" is not a problem for Tanner. More important can he accurately thread the needle on a 7 yard slant pattern on 3rd and five? That's all I want from Tanner.

Stupid rebuttal.

[/b]

The single season record is 2895 yards (Adam Weber -2007). If Morgan plays the entire season, he could easily own that record.

When I said this, I meant the all time leading passer at Minnesota, for career totals. That's actually a fairly difficult challenge, as Weber is the conference's 3rd all time in yardage. I think Morgan can do it if he remains the starter until graduation and stays healthy.

When I said this, I meant the all time leading passer at Minnesota, for career totals. That's actually a fairly difficult challenge, as Weber is the conference's 3rd all time in yardage. I think Morgan can do it if he remains the starter until graduation and stays healthy.

Yep, the single season record is very attainable this season. That career total is a pretty big number. A lot of things would have to fall in place. As I alluded to earlier, the high interception numbers for Weber and Brees bothers me a lot when I look at the overall numbers. I’d rather Morgan not break the record if it requires him to throw up for grabs a bunch, like those guys did.

I like Tanner.

But he can't throw the ball over 40 yards.

Really? Most of the people reading this could probably throw 40 yards or more. Besides, that’s not really important is it?

I'd bet 80% of my 401k that most rubes here could not throw a regulation size NCAA football more than 40 yards in their birthday suit much less with a fitted jersey and shoulder pads and a helmet on while taking a 5 step drop and having maybe 1½ to 2 shuffle steps to gain forward momentum in a game situation. Game situation so much more difficult than tossing the pigskin in the backyard to your kids.

With all due respect any Power 5 QB above 5th string should be able to throw a football 40 yards. Maybe not a frozen rope with the flick of a wrist but an arcing 40 yard "bomb" is not a problem for Tanner. More important can he accurately thread the needle on a 7 yard slant pattern on 3rd and five? That's all I want from Tanner.

Stupid rebuttal.

Stupid rebuttal to what ? I know Studwell55's sense of humor enough that he was being facetious about TM2 being able to throw 40 yards. My point was most yokels posting here think they can roll out of bed and sling a football 40 yards no problem - most can't throwing downhill much less under game conditions and I'll die on a hill defending that position. My other point is that Tanner's arm is "good enough" and that's all we need.

Stupid rebuttal to what ? I know Studwell55's sense of humor enough that he was being facetious about TM2 being able to throw 40 yards. My point was most yokels posting here think they can roll out of bed and sling a football 40 yards no problem - most can't throwing downhill much less under game conditions and I'll die on a hill defending that position. My other point is that Tanner's arm is "good enough" and that's all we need.

He was being facetious. I was being facetious. Humor, all around.

Maybe someone can organize a passing camp.

Total Yardage Stats can be incredibly misleading. Don’t even get me started on AW8.

TM2’s W-L stats are what matters. So far, pretty good.

Total Yardage Stats can be incredibly misleading. Don’t even get me started on AW8.

TM2’s W-L stats are what matters. So far, pretty good.

Yes, sir... that's correct.

The Gophers are gonna run the ball a lot in 2019, folks.

In any given game, if our passing yards exceed our rushing yards it probably means we're playing from behind on the scoreboard.

I’ll take that bet. Name a time and a place.

Have to admit I thought average guy could be taught/trained to throw a ball 40 yards but maybe that’s 10-15 too much. I dunno. Similarly I’d guess the average guy can be taught/trained to throw a 60-65 mph fastball but maybe not. Maybe it’s all generics and natural ability limited to the top 3%

Here is an NFL QB synopsis of percentage throws by distance (in air), completion percentage by distance thrown. There is some interesting data here. This may or not be surprising.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/1/5/14152724/statistical-quarterback-comparison-throw-distance

Interesting and a bit surprising. Bottom line is 90% of their throws are within 20 yards of the line of scrimmage, so no more than a 30 yard throw, even throwing a long out (ok, maybe 35 yds).

Tanner is a gamer, a real football player.

He also had a weak arm. It is glaringly weak when he has to throw the ball deep.

OK guys relax a little

What the Gopher QB needs to do is continue to improve. Tanner just needs to keep being better than the day before which as we all know at the end of last year was good enough to beat Wisconsin at Madison and beat a Georgia Tech team in a bowl game.

Did tanner have the benefit of playing a few games against non conference teams? Nope
Did Tanner step in and blow people away? not so much
Did Tanner look like Peyton Manning? nope
Did Tanner win a few Big Ten games and a bowl game? yep

Why is evereyone so insane if the guy can throw 40 yards? do we know if we called plays for a 40 yard pass?
Do we have several RB's that can take some pressure off needing to throw? yep 3-4 of them and maybe more!
Do we have one of our better OL groups than we have had here in 15-20 years? yep

and all we can worry about is if the young man can throw the football 40 yards Come on Guys think what is really important is that Tanner stays healthy and controls the game based on what Kirk calls for plays and he reads the Defense well enough. he will make the throws necessary to win games and we will be 8-0 before getting tested

You were.

Les, highwayman, etc. are cranky, old jacka__es, <b>that add nothing to the forum.</b>

Man, do I hate this take. Grow up G4L. This forum is 100% entertainment. 0% of things that matter are discussed here. People argue, speculate, and express opinions you may not like. If that bothers you, don’t read them. If you come here to be enlightened by those “adding value” then you are coming to the wrong place - not them.

People argue, speculate, and express opinions you may not like.

100% of Les’s posts are less than 30 characters and don’t express anything worthy of the server memory they use up. Highway’s occasionally rise higher than that, but not many more brain cells engaged.

Josh Allen says he can throw the ball 75-80 yards.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/...an-throw-his-decision-making-and-how-lesean-m

He might have the strongest arm in the NFL, and one of the strongest ever.

This is a serious question. Would you rather have the college version of Josh Allen or Tanner Morgan as the starting QB of the 2019 Gophers? There isn’t necessarily a right or wrong answer. I’m just curious.

Here are Josh Allen’s college stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html

And Morgan’s: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tanner-morgan-2.html

Josh was a two year starter. Wyoming was 8-5 and 6-6 in those two seasons.

I’m assuming most everyone saw him play in college at least once.

Last edited:

Josh Allen says he can throw the ball 75-80 yards.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/...an-throw-his-decision-making-and-how-lesean-m

He might have the strongest arm in the NFL, and one of the strongest ever.

This is a serious question. Would you rather have the college version of Josh Allen or Tanner Morgan as the starting QB of the 2019 Gophers? There isn’t necessarily a right or wrong answer. I’m just curious.

Here are Josh Allen’s college stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html

And Morgan’s: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tanner-morgan-2.html

I’m assuming most everyone saw him play in college at least once.

What a great question, and you made it even more interesting by linking to the players' respective college stats.

I'm really struck by — maybe even shocked by — the fact that the supposedly weak-armed Morgan's yards per attempt are quite a bit better than the strong-armed Allen.

Really thought-provoking. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom