Mason's comments on Morgan

Big Ten Mind

Reaction score
On BTN yesterday Rick Hall ask Glen Mason if Minny could win the west and if not what are the question marks he has for them. "I still think the QB. If you're going to win a championship you better have a really really good QB. Tanner Morgan is a good quarterback, I'm not sure he's that good".

Time will tell but quality and depth of defensive line along with the production from the trigger man usually determine if a team wins 6-8 games vs 9-11.

Last edited:

If our defense plays like they did to end the season all we need is a QB that manages the game, doesn't turn the ball over, etc. We won't need a lot from our QB.

If our defense plays like they did to end the season all we need is a QB that manages the game, doesn't turn the ball over, etc. We won't need a lot from our QB.

Correct. And being mobile (avoiding sacks, getting a few first downs per game with legs on a read option) only helps, which he is. Avoid fumbles, avoid ints. Make the easy throws. Make a couple hard throws per game.

I seem to remember Wisconsin winning the west a few times with some pretty mediocre QB plAy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to remember Wisconsin winning the west a few times with some pretty mediocre QB plAy.

Agreed! Just needs to play smart which he did for most of his reps. He seems very poised and knows what he can and cannot do.

There are a lot of plays on video of him throwing 45+ (many are from high school), and those throws don’t look hard for him. Somewhere between 50-55 is my guess, but who knows? We haven’t seen him attempt anything over 50. This offense doesn’t need to do that anyway.

Morgan is one of those guys who is always going to have people questioning his ability, because of his size.

Really? Most of the people reading this could probably throw 40 yards or more. Besides, that’s not really important is it?

I'd bet 80% of my 401k that most rubes here could not throw a regulation size NCAA football more than 40 yards in their birthday suit much less with a fitted jersey and shoulder pads and a helmet on while taking a 5 step drop and having maybe 1½ to 2 shuffle steps to gain forward momentum in a game situation. Game situation so much more difficult than tossing the pigskin in the backyard to your kids.

With all due respect any Power 5 QB above 5th string should be able to throw a football 40 yards. Maybe not a frozen rope with the flick of a wrist but an arcing 40 yard "bomb" is not a problem for Tanner. More important can he accurately thread the needle on a 7 yard slant pattern on 3rd and five? That's all I want from Tanner.

Really? Most of the people reading this could probably throw 40 yards or more. Besides, that’s not really important is it?

40 feet sure, but not 40 yards.

But agree how far you can throw it really isn't important at all, especially in our offense. Hit the slant every time that's all that matters.

The QB has to be able to make some plays. That loss against NW showed what a really good defense can do against a Tanner Morgan type of QB.

The QB has to be able to make some plays. That loss against NW showed what a really good defense can do against a Tanner Morgan type of QB.

That was his only bad game, as a freshman. Northwestern made a lot of QBs look bad last season.

There are a handful of standout QBs in the country who possess the huge arm AND make few errors. We don’t have one of those now, nor did we a month ago.

On BTN yesterday Rick Hall ask Glen Mason if Minny could win the west and if not what are the question marks he has for them. "I still think the QB. If you're going to win a championship you better have a really really good QB. Tanner Morgan is a good quarterback, I'm not sure he's that good".

Time will tell but quality and depth of defensive line along with the production from the trigger man usually determine if a team wins 6-8 games vs 9-11.

I posted it on www.gsufans.com Flite Line. Good mini read!

Give me one of those little nerf balls with a tail on it and I can throw it 50+ yards. Otherwise I'm not sure I can throw a regulation FB forty yards. Like most sports fans, my body can't do the things that my brain thinks it can.

Jim McMahon didn't have a big arm, at least not by the time he played for the Vikings. 40 yards wasn't a sure thing for him, but he was an NFL quarterback.

I'd bet 80% of my 401k that most rubes here could not throw a regulation size NCAA football more than 40 yards in their birthday suit much less with a fitted jersey and shoulder pads and a helmet on while taking a 5 step drop and having maybe 1½ to 2 shuffle steps to gain forward momentum in a game situation. Game situation so much more difficult than tossing the pigskin in the backyard to your kids.

With all due respect any Power 5 QB above 5th string should be able to throw a football 40 yards. Maybe not a frozen rope with the flick of a wrist but an arcing 40 yard "bomb" is not a problem for Tanner. More important can he accurately thread the needle on a 7 yard slant pattern on 3rd and five? That's all I want from Tanner.

Agree and disagree. 100% agree that most Gopherhole readers could not throw a regulation football 40 yards. Disagree about throwing in games - my observation is that the adrenaline of playing in a game helps QB's to be able to throw farther; and I think that all Power 5 QB's could throw the ball 40 yards assuming they are healthy, eg., not playing with a partially separated throwing shoulder. There is nothing wrong with Morgan's arm. Go Gophers!

Morgan is a rs So. He's got room to improve and I'm comfortable with him.

I would be (pleasently) surprised if he's our starter next 3 years

Tanner is a Top 3 B1G QB this year. The OL needs to protect him and he will be very very good. I really like ZA but he isn't playing and Morgan proved himself when he got the chance. He is a known commodity whether Mason said so or not.

Has there ever been a really really good qb in the big10 west?

I can confirm I probably can’t throw a football 40 yards. I can probably sail a frisbee close to that.

Has there ever been a really really good qb in the big10 west?

That is a good question. Russell Wilson is probably the best QB of the division era but technically he was not a West QB even though Wisconsin's now a West team. Trevor Simian from NW? He made it to the nfl.

I like Tanner.

But he can't throw the ball over 40 yards.

2018 Indiana game. Game-winning throw to Bateman. Check it out.

Tanner releases the ball at the Minnesota 28 yard line. Bateman catches it — in stride — at the Indiana 24 yard line. Beautiful deep throw. Won the game.

I don't think that is an unfair statement.

Tanner is good, but I don't know how far he can go.

Watching the Quick Lane bowl replay on BTN. Morgan had a 50 yard incompletion to Bateman in the 2nd quarter. He let it go on his own 44, and it looks like it would have landed at about the 6 yard line. The throw should have been a little more to the inside, and a couple yards further, but it didn’t look like he had a hard time getting it out there.

Last edited:

Top Bottom